Author Topic: sparring/fighting and eye surgery. comments please  (Read 6428 times)

thai70

• View Profile
sparring/fighting and eye surgery. comments please
« on: June 09, 2005, 12:52:10 AM »
I have the opportunity to get lasik or wave surgery.  I like to spar and plan on continuing stickfighting.
Has anyone had the surgery?  What did you think?  Does it interfere with sparring/fighting?  Are there any limitations to sparring/fighting?  Anyone?
tom

bart

• View Profile
    • http://www.capitaldocepares.com
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 12:02:48 AM »
Hey There,

I haven't had the eye surgery myself. I'm quite pleased with my contacts. But I have a few friends who have. All of them were very postive about it. One of them is a Cacoy Doce Pares player and he spars all the time. I've sparred with him quite a bit since the operation both in gear and without and he, if anything, has gotten quicker.

I'd say if you don't fear infection, then go for it.
Be Cool

------------------
Capital Doce Pares
www.capitaldocepares.com

kuraiokami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »
Greetings,

I have had Lasik surgery.  My proceedure was done about 6 months before my first participation in the Gatherings.  I cannot say enough good things about it.  If your doctor is sure you are a good candidate for Lasik I would highly recomend it.  You can still continue sparring and stickfighting, but make sure to wait the appropriate time period for the healing to take place.  Your doctor can give you the best advice as to how long that should be.

Rich
A pipe gives a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

metis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:25:08 AM »
first, not all doctors agree, but....

part of my pre-op work up was asking me whether or not i did 'contact sports'. apparently the scar tissue associated w/ Lasik has been found to rupture in cases of extreme head trauma. examples given to me were NFL players going helmet to helmet and motorcyle riders helmets hitting the pavement. i made the choice to have PRK instead.

see what your doc says. i know lots of people w/ Lasik who box, play rugby etc. w/o any problems.

either way, one of the best investments i ever made. currently 20/20:20/15. up from 20/400

thai70

• View Profile
initial evaluation today
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 12:22:29 AM »
totally stoked.  the doc recomended the PRK and I am going for it.  She said I am a great candidate (apparently I have pretty thick corneas).  I plan on having surgery in august.
thanks guys
tom