Author Topic: Cass Magda Silat/Kali Summer Camp  (Read 8879 times)

Magda Institute

• View Profile
    • http://www.magdainstitute.com
Cass Magda Silat/Kali Summer Camp
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:19:49 AM »
Cass Magda's 7th Annual Summer Camp
July 13-17th  5 Days of Intensive Training in traditional silat and kali.
Go to www.CassMagda.com for more details.
Hurry now, space is limited due to size of school and equipment to be used.
See why this is one of the best camps.

Glenn

• View Profile
Cass Magda's 2005 Summer Camp
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:15:02 PM »
Dear fellow martial artists and friends,

I have been attending Sifu Cass Magda's Summer Camps ever since and recently the 1st Winter Camp of 2005!  I would have to say these camps are intense emotionally and mentally challenging and well worth the physical training involved.  It is a pleasure to train with so many fine and dedicated martial artists at attendance from many parts of the country and the world.  Just being around with so many talented and positive people is an uplifting experience.  I had the privilege to train with some of Bruce Lee's original backyard students, such as Ted Wong, Pete Jacobs, Bob Bremmer, Richard Bustillo, among others not to mention the second generation students such as Sifu Tim Tackett.  These great men have so much to offer to any martial artist at any level in their training!
The Kali and Silat aspects taught by Sifu Cass Magda at these camps is worth every penny.  I truly found more meaning performing djurus and applications on the cross using kurung and penchar, and helped me even more to refine and improve my skills and understanding of Buka Jalan Silat.  I would have to say sifu Cass Magda with his high quality training methods and knowledge he possesses including with the assistance of his professional staff of dedicated martial artists offers and invaluable  martial art experience for any levels.  I look forward  investing my training time to this year's Summer Camp and beyond.

Glenn

iloilo44

• View Profile
Cass Magda Silat/Kali Summer Camp
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 05:52:10 PM »
Hello martial artisits and DB tribe,

I just recently attended and participated at this year's Summer Camp at The Magda Institue.  The material and training was awesome as usual.  Sifu Cass Magda shared some Philippine and Indonesian martial  culture and history, applications of djurus on the cross using penchar and applications to multiple attackers at various angles of attack (very cool stuff for any levels), there were blade to blade training and disarms, stick and dagger training, cool sarong defense techniques, more Buka Jalan Silat training and applications.  Sifu Ted Wong presented to us some of his JKD training from Sifu Bruce Lee ( This man has never aged and still moves like Bruce!) We also had the opportunity to train with Sifu Tim Tackett and sifu Bob Bremmer ( an original Bruce Lee backyard student) their presence  was awesome!  
We had the opportunity to see some old footages of some of the Kali/Escrima teachers like Guru Johnhy Lacoste and Guru Dan Inosanto training together with stick and blade in a park somewhere in Stockton,Calif. with "Rocky" music playing in the background.  Guru Lacoste peformed his version of carenza. There footages of guru Ben Largusa and his students demonstrating and a brief appearance of Mr. Floro Villabrile demonstrating what appeared to be "numerada".  There were other footages of old escrima men training with sticks and moving so well with flow.  To our surprise we saw Sifu Cass Magda at 19 years old
demonstrating a "fan" drill against a knife attack coming at various angles of attack with Sifu Dan Inosanto  feeding the attacks ( most impresseive site!)   There were also some footages of silat practioners training in a house somewhere in West Java.  There footages of Kulintang players playing kulintang music in the Southern Philippines while a young kid demonstrating kali with sticks. Very cool stuff!
What really impressed me the most was these filipino men in their 80's and 90's like Manong Leo Giron demonstrating largo mano with Sifu  Dan Inosanto was truly amazing.  Having seen these great men move so well with flow and grace is so awesome.  I hope these old footages of these great men will be available for others to see someday so others will have more understanding and appreciation of Philippine and Indonesion martial arts and culture.

Peace,

Glenn