Author Topic: Keeping my IQ  (Read 7618 times)

Butters

• View Profile
Keeping my IQ
« on: June 24, 2005, 02:54:55 PM »
Hello everybody!

I've searched around in the forum and read everything regarding protective gear for the head.

Problem is i'm stuck between protection and comfort.

I've been checking the sabre strength fencing mask and the wekaf helmet in the Kil website.

I cannot imagine a fencing mask protecting me much while getting hit by a stick.

On the other hand the WEKAF helmet is huge. I can't imagine grappling or getting close to the opponent with this thing on.

I plan on using my gear for full contact by the way.

I know i'm gonna have to make my own decision but i would like to hear people's experiences with this equipment.

Thanks.
Nick, Greece

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
Keeping my IQ
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 08:37:45 AM »
Butters

A FIE (the international standard) 3 weapon (non-electric) fencing mask is the strongest fencing mask you find and it is padded nicely.

IMHO they offers more protection than the WEKAF masks.  The back of the head is exposed with the fencing mask but the padding on the back of the WEKAF gear won't stop a hit.  Also the top and sides of the fencing mask is stronger than the WEKAF gear.  I have staggered people in WEKAF masks with a shot to the top of head with a 7/8 stick.

HOWEVER, the best way to protect your IQ is training.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

Butters

• View Profile
Keeping my IQ
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 09:42:45 AM »
Quote from: Dog Corey
HOWEVER, the best way to protect your IQ is training.

:lol:
Nick, Greece

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Keeping my IQ
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:14:58 AM »
I have literally seen people get stuck together via the cages on the WEKAF helmets when they go to the ground.  Go with the fencing mask.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Chuck B

• View Profile
Keeping my IQ
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 06:54:14 AM »
I have personally had an eardrum broken while wearing the WEKAF style masks.  The cups that are supposed to protect your ears can actually catch air on a direct hit and the shock wave is what broke the eardrum.  To compound matters, my opponent was swinging a homemade padded stick which consisted of a 7/8" stick with pipe insulation on it.  The added mass and diameter from the insulation didn't help.  I personally feel much safer in a well built fencing mask (and not using such padded weapons, Actionflex is good, though).

Dog Chuck

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
Keeping my IQ
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »
Chuck B
WEKAF style masks .... The cups that are supposed to protect your ears can actually catch air on a direct hit

That is a great point and probably the biggest problem with the WEKAF masks.  The guys I train with stuff a rag into the ear cup of the mask.  This helps some, but I am going to start wearing ear plugs when I fight with the WEKAF gear.

It is easy to be lulled into by "safety equipment"  I was sparring a guy with WEKAF gear and hit him on the head so hard (with one of those little 7/8" sticks) that his knees buckled and he almost went down.  At the last WEKAF World Cup, people were braking bones with 7/8" rattan sticks.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/