Author Topic: Krabi Krabong in the Movies  (Read 24057 times)

watchdog

• View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/kalijeetkunedo
Krabi Krabong in the Movies
« on: July 05, 2005, 02:38:34 PM »
Saw this posted in another forum.  I thought it would be of particular interest to DBMA types:

Tony Jaa to wield a 'Sword' for third film

Variety's Asian film blog Kaiju Shakedown reports that Tony Jaa is teaming up with director Prachya Pinkaew yet again for a third martial arts actioner, this time set in Thailand's past and featuring swordplay.

According to published information released at this year's Cannes, Sword will be a "spectacular saga" that "depicts the heroism of Thai history's legendary warriors as they fight to protect their homeland."

As for the martial arts, Tony Jaa will be using the ancient art of Dab Thai, or Double-Handed Sword Fighting. This style of swordplay is described as "one of the most beautiful yet lethal weapons arts ever seen on film."

Dab Thai swordplay is a uniquely Thai martial art that has been around for well over a thousand years. What sets it apart from other Asian sword techniques is the integration of fist, feet and knee attacks. Identical double-edged swords are often used and the sword grips may be employed to attack the enemy's weak spots, such as joints.

Jaa's second film, Tom Yum Goong, is presently set for theatrical release in Thailand and other parts of East Asia on August 11th, 2005.
Combative Martial Arts Systems - Jeet Kune Do & Filipino Kali Weaponry

MonyetNakal

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:52:17 PM »
Dunno if its been mentioned here before, but you can also catch snippets of some krabi krabong action in a movie called "The Legend of Suryothai"

While not a 'martial-arts' movie per se, its more of a 'historical-epic' a la "Braveheart" and the like and it has some great battle scenes. I recommend it.

Any movie with lines like "Ready the men, and arm the elephants" has to be great, right?

metis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 04:12:50 AM »
i'll watch anything w/ battle elephants :).

enjoyed Suryothai. can't wait for Hannibal. even made the craptastic Alexander somewhat interesting.

DanJuanDeSiga

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DAMAG_Kali_Stickfighting
Slyvester Stallone filmed doing KK
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 07:57:16 PM »
Anyone remember watching the part in Rambo III where Sylvester Stallone has a stickfight match? You'll notice Krabi Krabong in motion picture action.

Daniel Arola

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Slyvester Stallone filmed doing KK
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 09:57:45 PM »
Quote from: DanJuanDeSiga
Anyone remember watching the part in Rambo III where Sylvester Stallone has a stickfight match? You'll notice Krabi Krabong in motion picture action.

Daniel Arola

YES!  I named my first cat Rambo, he was my hero when I was a kid.  I remember laughing every time I saw it because of the sound effects.  I found in funny since I knew what a stcik actually sounded like.  

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 01:45:24 PM »
So it looks like we might get to see some stick action in Mission Impossible III.  Has anyone else heard anything about this?

http://justjared.blogspot.com/2005/08/tom-cruise-keri-russell-jonathan-rhys.html

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 11:13:56 PM »
The sequel to ONG BAK came out a few weeks ago in Thailand apparently. It's called Tom Yung Gung...

other good mavies with Krabi:

Bangjaran- It's like a thai braveheart type story.

Sema the Ayodhya Warrior - good duel sequences

Ong Bak- the best damn muay thai movie ever.

Russ

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • DBMA Connecticut
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 08:42:18 AM »
Shockingly enough....

There is a Bond movie with Roger Moore as 007 in which there is a Krabi Krabong sword fight!

I just saw it two weeks ago on AMC.
C-Bad Dog, Lakan Guro DBMA
http://dbma-connecticut.webs.com/

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 08:55:51 AM »
"The Man with the Golden Gun"

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 01:01:16 AM »
Just watched "tom yum goong" starring tony jaa.  Some KK including a modified mai sowks fight sequence. Plus the capoeira vs. muay thai fight scene is probably one of the best i've ever seen.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 03:54:56 AM »
You still in Bangladesh?

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 08:50:29 AM »
Guro,

I'm visiting my family in Thailand right now, but I'm heading back to Bangladesh in a few days.  No new news other than I passed the foreign service oral exam so <hopefully> I'll be coming back stateside sooner than planned.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE FIGHTERS NEXT WEEK!