Author Topic: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and hip replacement  (Read 7680 times)

Kecko

• View Profile
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and hip replacement
« on: July 17, 2005, 04:17:27 PM »
I have recently had a hip replacement and would like to start training in BJJ.  I trained briefly with the Machado Bros. back in the mid 90s and really enjoyed it.  Anybody have any experience or comment regarding this?

Thanks!

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and hip replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 05:06:17 PM »
No direct experience, but a friend of mine had his hips replaced and (although he is not very athletic) he is getting around just fine.  Also, my BJJ coach tore a knee ligament (I was there when it happened), had replacement surgery and is doing fine.

I don't buy into all the positive thinking nonsense but IMHO (and experience) your attitude after the surgery is important.  The surgery was needed and you are better off with it.

It may take time.  You may have to adapt your training.  There may techniques you won't be able to do now, but as your body recovers, you may be able to do later.  Don't self impose any limitations - make the doc tell you to slow down.
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/