Author Topic: Hooooooooooooly Crap  (Read 6268 times)

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
Hooooooooooooly Crap
« on: June 20, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Soooo I was watching a video of Steven Seagal training with Anderson Silva, I thought it would be funny, etc...

Then it looked like Seagal was doing a lot of Fillipino panantukan stuff, at least thats what it looked like to my relatively untrained eye.

but then... at about 2:20 of the video he looks like he's showing anderson some of the setups/crashes from the first kali tudo tapes....

I could be wrong but I don't think I am, anyway heres the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQw9fJ9CKk&feature=player_embedded#!

Thoughts?

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Hooooooooooooly Crap
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
I really like the idea of blocking the head to prevent the wrestling shot, but I can see it leading to a lot of accidental eye gouges. Its a basic principle in any grappling system that where the head goes the body follows. This isn't really a knew idea, but the specifics of what was being done in that video were different than I had seen before.

The hammer fists and chops are great, but I think the context is wrong. Too much catching punches out of thin air. Although if anyone can pull it off its probably AS. I spent about 3 years on aikido when I was younger, and was in several fights where I got to try out its validity. Lets just say it didn't perform as well as advertised. The range they train at is wrong. In a clinch situation it has some value, but you will NEVER pull a wrist lock off a punch unless you are some sort of mutant.

The stuff they were doing on the ground is probably not so useful.

My initial reaction...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:01:46 PM by Jonobos »
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
woof:

after coming back from this weekend's seminar with Guro Crafty, there is a time and place for, as he puts it, "Martial Arts and Crafts"... he's not downplaying the fancy looking techniques like wristlocks, stick chokes, etc, but IIRC the way it's trained.

look at the dos triques footwork matrix of DBMA. or the Kali Tudo, it will give you the angles to pull off the wristlocks, trapping, silat throws etc.

but wow at seagal training silva. hope i don't see "silva pulls out of fight with sonnon 'cos of broken wrist during training."

~sg
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Jonobos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:37:58 AM »
I was actually at the seminar  :lol:

the way they train is certainly a big part of the problem. If they trained in the same range as Judo, or wrestling, I think some of it is legit. Also, the passive mentality of aikido and many of its practitioners is a big problem if you want any of it to work in real time. I have dusted some of that stuff off and am looking at it again lately, but I have a greater appreciation for what it takes to make something functional thanks to Guro Crafty and the other Dog Brothers. I also approach it with a healthy amount of skepticism, because most of it runs counter to what I know from personal experience. 3 years is hardly enough time to have a comprehensive understanding of a martial art, but in that same amount of time C-Gaurd Dog has taught me many things that do work in real time. I have used them in sparring, and at a gathering. They pass the test  :wink:

I am not ragging on the content of TMA's. I think they have a lot of great content. They just lack people who are willing to test their claims. I am definitely hoping Anderson Silva surprises everyone with some of the stuff in that video! But if I were a betting man I wouldn't wager any money on it...
When life gives you lemons make lemonade
When life gives you hemlock, do NOT make hemlockade!

Rarick

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:07:06 AM »
Some of those moves (wristlocks) do not work with gloves and some were illegal.  This just 9 days after the Dubai fight? going by the posting date..........  I suspect he knew some of this stuff going in, and that was why he was able to manhandle Maia.

I was wondering when we would start to see some aikido stuff.

stilljames

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »
re: Wrist Locks in fights.  

If we try to directly go after a wrist lock, you will probably get clocked.  But if we're playing the punching game. sometimes our hand, either in a pat/parry or recoiling from a punch, will end up in the starting position for a wrist lock almost by happenstance.  One should be able to recognize the feeling and instantly go for it.   And then abandon it for something better if it runs into problems.

The other part about getting effective use from Aikido- the most important part - is being able to listen to the other person's body and the direction of force they are offering us.  If the attack is not giving us force conducive to a wrist lock, then we had probably best not attempt one.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:46:47 PM by stilljames »