Author Topic: Greetings to all members!  (Read 6186 times)

Silver_Mongoose

• View Profile
Greetings to all members!
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »
Hello, folks!  Greetings from the humid Midsouth.

I just joined the forum, and I'm looking forward to having quality exchanges with everybody here.

A little bit about myself:

When I was younger, I wrestled Greco-Roman and undertook a variety of youth-interest-driven forays into disciplines such as Kyokushin-kai, Judo, and Kendo, only to ultimately find my niche in Aikido.  Since then, it has been my base art for all other cross-training that I did along with it.

I fenced epee in college, and while I credit the training greatly in terms of teaching me footwork, it was something that I regretably did not spend more time doing.

As far as sticks are concerned, I have had no formal training, but have wielded them for a considerable period of time.  Come to think of it, they were quite a favorite toy from a very early age, as I always remember having at least several.  Growing up, broom handles, billy clubs, and batons of varying sizes just seemed natural somehow.  The same was true of my cousins, and that accounted for lots of fun and parental aspirin consumption at birthday parties. ;)

For a long time now, I have been very interested in a variety of stickfighting methods, Asian as well as those particular to other world cultures (Celtic, Slavic, Native American, African, etc.), and I am looking forward to learning new things here as well as offering things in return whenever I can.

Cheers! :D

-Goose.
"Pugione sub tunicam habes, aut me videns gaudes?" --Gaius Julius Caesar.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
Re: Greetings to all members!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 07:08:41 AM »
woof:

Quote from: Silver_Mongoose
Hello, folks!  Greetings from the humid Midsouth.

I just joined the forum, and I'm looking forward to having quality exchanges with everybody here.

please let me be the first to welcome you aboard :-) greeting you from hazy, hot, and humid nyc for the past few days, today, luckily it has cooled off and less humidity.

A little bit about myself:

...only to ultimately find my niche in Aikido.  Since then, it has been my base art for all other cross-training that I did along with it.

always wanted to check out aiki-jo.

For a long time now, I have been very interested in a variety of stickfighting methods, Asian as well as those particular to other world cultures (Celtic, Slavic, Native American, African, etc.), and I am looking forward to learning new things here as well as offering things in return whenever I can.

did you check out Stav? not trying to troll or stir $hit, but from what i've heard of Stav, it's runes mixed in with some jodo. of course, i read that off the internet, so it must be true, right? :-) seriously, this was not from first-hand experience, just what i heard from friends.

again, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Silver_Mongoose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 11:42:12 PM »
Stickgrappler:

Thank you for the welcome.  I'm hoping that the early and substantial onset of rains down here will result in a cold, snowy, icy winter, just like it's supposed to be.  I'm tired of wearing t-shirts in December. ;)

As per the Jo staff, I had found it to be an excellent implement in a variety of regards.  In close quarters, I have seen the Jo used to great effect as a trapping/control implement.

I recognized quite a few Jo-type techniques from the DBMA "Staff" preview.  I just might get me a copy.

As far as Stav is concerned, I have to admit that I have heard very little about the art myself.  It's supposed to be based on body positions resembling the Runes.  That's all I know.

Right now, I'm researching Irish stickfighting and other martial ways of using walking canes.

Cheers!
"Pugione sub tunicam habes, aut me videns gaudes?" --Gaius Julius Caesar.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 06:46:25 AM »
Quote from: Silver_Mongoose
I recognized quite a few Jo-type techniques from the DBMA "Staff" preview.  I just might get me a copy.

butchering what Bruce Lee said, but basically we only have 2 arms and 2 legs and they have a finite amount of motion angles due to our body structure. so no surprise if techniques look similar. you learned aikijo first, therefore, DB staff looks like that to you. ask someone else and they say, i see some kobudo in it if say they were a kobudo student. etc. so no surprise :-) we apply new experiences through our lenses and based on our previous experience interpret from that previous experience's viewpoint.

Right now, I'm researching Irish stickfighting and other martial ways of using walking canes.

there are loads of online manuals relating to staff and walking canes. if you need, i will go through my favorites and find them for you should you need (or any others). i'm sure you have seen ken pfenger's (sp?) bata site.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 08:02:12 AM »
Woof:

Stickgrappler is right.  

The staff is one of the most widely used and studied weapons in martial arts around the world and it is no surprise that we see similarities.

SG please feel free to start a thread titled "Staff from around the world" and share with us these manuals.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 08:37:50 AM »
Quote from: Crafty_Dog

SG please feel free to start a thread titled "Staff from around the world" and share with us these manuals.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog

woof Guro Crafty,

am tied up with work for a bit. i will make a new thread as you suggested.