Author Topic: Please help me find a good video  (Read 7626 times)

deebo

• View Profile
Please help me find a good video
« on: July 23, 2005, 12:10:45 PM »
I am new to the art of stickfighting and I am looking for a video that shows some basic stick drills.  I am espectially interested in learning some basic stick drills that I can use on a bag or tire.  I would also like to learn some drills to increase my conditioning and hand eye coordination.  Can somebody suggest a good training video to purchase?

watchdog

• View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/kalijeetkunedo
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »
Have you checked out the first series of video instructional tapes from the Dog Brother.  They have various stick drills that you can practice solo.
Combative Martial Arts Systems - Jeet Kune Do & Filipino Kali Weaponry

sean_brandt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 06:32:27 AM »
The original DBMA tapes are awesome!  It amazes me that these tapes were produced in 1993...the production value is incredibly high, and they are a great mix of solo drills, partner drills, and fights.  There is a section in the first tape about warm-ups and building your forearms.  Top Dog recommends using your fighting stick as well as heavier sticks -- I just bought some iron pipe ($3 each) at Home Depot that I'm going to use to build my grip and forearms.

There are also some wicked body toughening/conditioning exercises on the Sayoc Stickgrappling DVD.
"You can't be afraid of the unknown and expect to progress."  (Top Dog, DBMA RCS #6)

www.sayoc.com, www.bajji.com

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »
the first set of DB vids are geared towards solo training except for #6 (fights), #5 (stickgrappling) and half of #4 (thrusts, punyos) but overall, this is an excellent set to work off of, i made a one hr workout "swing along with Top Dog" vid and used to work out to that.

another set i like is the late PG Edgar Sulite's Lameco vids - i forget the exact names, but he has a 2 vid set on single stick, double stick, and 1 on stick and knife. they are published by Unique.

there are loads more, but those are the ones i really like and recommend to anyone.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 02:05:09 PM »
There is also Surf Dog's video "Filipino Stick Fighting" available from amazon.com
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 06:41:30 AM »
Quote from: sting
There is also Surf Dog's video "Filipino Stick Fighting" available from amazon.com

whoa! i did not know Surf Dog had a vid.
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 11:52:29 AM »
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »
cool - thank you for the link Pretty Kitty

this is cool -

http://www.griffinmartialarts.com/images/Misc/DogBrothers.JPG

i attended Guro Crafty's staff seminar hosted by Raw Dog and Guro Crafty forgot to bring the certificates lol