Author Topic: Modern Arnis  (Read 5803 times)

morgterv

• View Profile
Modern Arnis
« on: August 10, 2005, 12:57:47 AM »
Hello everybody.
I just discovered the Dog Bros website, and have enjoyed it greatly. I watched all the video clips and am going to start buying the videos, although I want to wait for the DVD versions.
I have been studying kung fu for a year. Previously I trained in TKD (black belt) and part of our ciriculum included Modern Arnis. After seeing the video clips here I was astounded. I never thought the Arnis we were taught seemed very applicable or realistic to any real life situations. Now I see what stick fighting can really look like. Can anyone tell me the relationship between Modern Arnis and the type of stick fighting in these videos?
I have enjoyed reading through many of the forum postings.
Yolanda
You got to stand for something, or you're gonna fall for anything. J.Mellencamp

kuraiokami

• View Profile
welcome
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 12:57:24 PM »
Woof and Greetings Yolonda!

You will find alot of Arnis/Kali/Escrima behind the fighting here.  But you will also see elements of other combat systems worked in as well.  Guro Crafty, Top Dog, Salty Dog and many others here have done an amazing job over the years of melding the best aspects of many of these arts into what you will see in the videos.  I was introduced to the dogbrothers several years ago while in CA and will conitnue to learn all I can from them even now that I am in MI.  Like you, I do have some background in Kung Fu (mostly 8-step Praying Mantis and some Jun Fan) as well as many other systems from around the world (I have been at it since 8 years old).  I do have to say that thus far, my experiences with the Dogbrothers have been the most enlightening and exciting.

Rich "C-Hell Hound".
A pipe gives a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

morgterv

• View Profile
Modern Arnis
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 10:11:18 PM »
Hi Rich,
You're in Grand Rapids eh? I guess that makes us neighbors. I'm in Midland. Sounds like you and I have some similar intrests, martial arts, music and mysticism. Where are you currently training? I study 7-star Praying Mantis with Sifu Henry Chung.
You got to stand for something, or you're gonna fall for anything. J.Mellencamp

kuraiokami

• View Profile
Hi there!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:31:02 AM »
Hello Yolanda!

Yes, we are not too far apart.  My wife and I moved here to Grand Rapids from Palm Springs, CA last spring.  Currently, I'm not training with any school at the moment; pretty much just drills, strength and endurance training in my backyard.  I am on the look out for new training partners so if you or anyone you know would like to train, drop me an e-mail at raff1966@yahoo.com.  I'll send you a quick note so you'll have the e-mail address.

Rich "C-Hellhound"
A pipe gives a wise man time to think,
and a fool something to stick in his mouth.