Author Topic: New to Weapons/Stick training...quick questions?  (Read 5237 times)

Sage

• View Profile
New to Weapons/Stick training...quick questions?
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:33:12 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been training in Muay Thai off and on for about 3 years. I'd always been interested in weapon training but most of what I'd seen looked "pretty" ...but had little to no pratical value.  A friend of mine mentioned you guys about two weeks ago and I've been on a natural high I haven't quite come off of yet! The stuff ya'll do is AMAZING, and I'd love to learn!

Through some research (and faux pas) I learnt that Kabri Krabong is Muay Thai's predecessor and that DBMA has encorporated it into a practical fighting system. I don't think I hesitated for even a second before I bought the Kabri Krabong DVD and the 'Salty Dog' sticks. I do however have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any advice:

1) Does a little background in Muay Thai give you a running start with Kabri Krabong? How should one approach this transition (I'm all the way up here in Pittsburgh, Pa...haven't really found anybody interested in FMA)?
2) Can one achieve some/any kind of prowess by training alone?
2) Do the 'Salty Dog' sticks need taping? Most of my friends who have studied escrima tape their rattan sticks so they don't splinter. Is this a precaution I should take as well?

I apologise if these are complete newbee questions...I can't claim to be any more than that :-) I am however extremely excited to have found this site and am really looking forward to training!

Thanks

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
New to Weapons/Stick training...quick questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:54:32 PM »
Woof Sage:

1) Absolutely!  I will go further and say that this training will help your MT both physically and mentally.

2)  Yes.  Do note that the drills are, in one sense, quite simple-- which means that creating competent training partners may be easier than you realize.  What I am saying is that uneven skill levels can work together.

3)  My personal approach is that I don't tape until the sticks begin to fray-- then I use duct tape.  It produces less drag than most other tapes and has a high durability factor.

Anyway, delighted to have you aboard.

The Adventure continues!
Crafty Dog