Author Topic: FMA Footwork for Context-Based Gunfighting  (Read 10213 times)

Michael Brown

• View Profile
    • http://www.thepraesidiumgroup.com
FMA Footwork for Context-Based Gunfighting
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
My training group has been experimenting with context-based training in firearms and other everyday carry weapons for a few years.

I had never seen the value in footwork for multiple assailant and weapons-based situations because I have always used a Muay Thai or Western Boxing style of footwork.

Over the last few months, I have been experimenting with DB style footwork as well as the footwork system of Atienza Kali incorporated with firearms(simmunition).

I am beginning to believe that I have missed out in not finding this style of footwork years ago.  I also believe that footwork may be more critical than I have given it credit for.

Managing multiple assailants in a weapons-based environment seems dramatically easier when using the angular-styled footwork of FMA than my previous boxing style footwork and I am certainly a novice when it comes to this type of footwork.

Has anyone else tried this with marking cartridge firearms in scenario-based training?

I only know of one other group that trains this way and uses the FMA style footwork.

Anyone know of others?

Michael Brown
If not me, then who? - motto of Russia's Alpha Counter-Terrorist Unit

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
FMA Footwork for Context-Based Gunfighting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »
Woof Mike:

Your work with SN with his PT Kali and Silat background, I suspect already offers you many clues here.  My work with G. explores this area as well and I look forward to getting together with you in Tulsa.  BTW it now looks like second or third week of August will be when Myke is bringing me out there-- I have some things to tighten up on my end before we can finalize.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog.

PS:  I did a one day pistol course today where we shot 1200 rounds, including about 250 at night 8)  My accuracy, while still quite mediocre, is distinctly better than it was thanks to my one session with you.  Thanks for the help.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: FMA Footwork for Context-Based Gunfighting
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »
Woof Michael:

I am conferring with Chris Gizzi, formerly a linebacker with the Green Bay Packers (seen in our Kali Tudo DVD btw) about moving forward my concept in this area.  Looking forward to our paths crossing again, probably at WTS3 in Memphis.

Yip
CD

Michael Brown

• View Profile
    • http://www.thepraesidiumgroup.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 06:25:14 PM »
Looking forward to Memphis in January and EXTREMELY disappointed that Tulsa did not work out this year.

I look forward to your opinion of our simplified clinch program we will be presenting at WTS3.

Michael Brown
If not me, then who? - motto of Russia's Alpha Counter-Terrorist Unit

Gabe Suarez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:14:48 AM »
I just returned from a Gunfight Course in casa Grande, AZ.  This is approximately the sixth or seventh time we have taught the Kali Fence and False Lead, and Kali/DB footwork learned from crafty in conjunction with FOF.

One of the things we constantly struggled with was that students with poorly developed footwork skills would tend to backpedal when pressured.  This invariably led to falling backward and getting smoked by the attacker while they either tried to regain balance or after their head bounced from the fall.

The thing I have immediately noticed is that beginning in the False Lead/Kali Fence sets you up for angular forward movement (which has shown to be the most adventageous in the close gunfight drill).  Conversely, this starting position makes it exceedingly difficult to back pedal as the feet are not positioned to facilitate this.

I am seeing normally slow students, lacking in agility, now able to get off the X to the defense angles and get shots on their attackers.  It is truly a joy to see.
Gabe Suarez
Suarez International USA, Inc.
www.suarezinternational.com

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock
Who trains my hands for war,
And my fingers for battle."

Psalm 144:1

Jeff Gentry

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »
I just returned from a Gunfight Course in casa Grande, AZ.  This is approximately the sixth or seventh time we have taught the Kali Fence and False Lead, and Kali/DB footwork learned from crafty in conjunction with FOF.

One of the things we constantly struggled with was that students with poorly developed footwork skills would tend to backpedal when pressured.  This invariably led to falling backward and getting smoked by the attacker while they either tried to regain balance or after their head bounced from the fall.

The thing I have immediately noticed is that beginning in the False Lead/Kali Fence sets you up for angular forward movement (which has shown to be the most adventageous in the close gunfight drill).  Conversely, this starting position makes it exceedingly difficult to back pedal as the feet are not positioned to facilitate this.

I am seeing normally slow students, lacking in agility, now able to get off the X to the defense angles and get shots on their attackers.  It is truly a joy to see.

I am constantly amazed at how in any martial art footwork is so important and is usualy the first thing to go down the crapper in a high stress situation, I have been trying to work on this myself.

Jeff
Usque Ad Finem

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 06:42:28 AM »
Please forgive my arrogance, this is exactly why I have set up the Kali Fence as I have and why Gabe has integrated it into his teaching-- it predisposes the body to react correctly.

Jeff Gentry

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:50:51 AM »
Please forgive my arrogance, this is exactly why I have set up the Kali Fence as I have and why Gabe has integrated it into his teaching-- it predisposes the body to react correctly.

No need to excuse anything, I do not see arrogance just a valid and sensible reason as to why you do what you do.

Jeff
Usque Ad Finem