Author Topic: Kali Tudo...how's it going in MMA?  (Read 58995 times)

ziggybob

• View Profile
Kali Tudo...how's it going in MMA?
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:58:41 AM »
Hello all and thank you for the time.

I have been a fan/student of the Dog Brothers and DBMA thinking and training methods for quite a while. Im finally in a position to get a copy of Kali Tudo and I am extremely excited about this. I've already thrown my class and Teachers many curves with the information I've been lucky enough to absorb from prior DB videos. Although, sometimes they don't seem to like me venturing far from the "expected moves". HAHA ...

Anyway, I was curious with the results others were getting with the information and training in regards to Kali Tudo and the Kali/Silat/KK in the MMA world. Guro Crafty, could you give us an update on some of the MMA fighters associated with Dog Brothers?

I would also love to hear from others with any input.

Thank you again in advance for any responses. Time is precious and I certainly appreciate that anybody would share their time with me.

Train hard to Fight hard

Best Regards,

Robert Marlow
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:50:37 PM by Crafty_Dog »

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Kali Tudo...hows it going in mma
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:34:43 AM »
Totally off topic!

You have the exact name of the guy I bought my 1955 red Chevy from in 1994!  But he lived in Ohio.

:-)

(BTW...check out http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=597 for information about Kali-Tudo.)
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

ziggybob

• View Profile
Much Thanks,
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:36:12 PM »
Hello and glad to be here,

Thank you for the time and referal. A great read indeed. I certainly wish I had a Red '55 Chevy. I have always been a sucker for the Nomad.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Best regards,

Robert Marlow

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Kali Tudo...hows it going in mma
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 05:51:22 AM »
Woof Ziggy:

Thank you for your question.  Lets have this conversation on the already existant Kali Tudo thread.  No more posts on this thread please.

Crafty Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Kali Tudo...hows it going in mma
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:12 AM »
Posted by Minority of One on my FB page:

"People really need to get the Kali Tudo material if they haven't already. I've trained guys in MMA for a while now and have been in the martial arts for over 15 yrs......this Kali Tudo material is by far some of the most innovative stuff out right now in the MA world! It's open the doors of possibility and truly changes the game of fighting. Adding these concepts to my game has really caused new headaches for my sparring partners. "

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pascal vs. Hopkins
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:08:27 PM »
I thought the boxing light heavyweight title fight between Pascal and Hopkins several days ago quite good.  I wouldn't have scored the first knockdown a knockdown and would have given the decision to Hopkins (45 years old vs. Pascal's 28! Go Hopkins!!!) but of relevance to this thread were the first few rounds of the fight, which were clearly won by Pascal (and kudos to Hopkins for keeping his mind right and turning the fight around).

To my eye, Pascal threw a number of successful zirconias though he began going to the well a bit too often I thought.  Like Rua's knock out of Chuck Liddell, the punch was more of a hook than a straight and there was no cutting of the corner of the diamond to the point of the diamond, but this is a move that was not really seen until , , , sometime after the release of Kali Tudo 1 :lol:  Of course, the move existed before KT1 and I certainly can't say that Rua, Pascal, or their trainers watched KT1, but it is an interesting coincidence.  At the very least, the people who doubted the zirconia when they first saw it in KT1 need to reconsider.  Indeed I know of a few who have reconsidered to the point of their saying it was nothing new and has been there all along.  :wink:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Nate Diaz
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
A few monts ago C-Guard Dog sent me a clip of a Nate Diaz fight in which he did something very much like a Dracula , , , without the footwork and, by out criteria perhaps with the less preferred hand for how things were lined up, but looking like a Dracula nonetheless.  C-GD wondered in Nate had been watching our Kali Tudo DVDs  :-D  This week Nate had a very interesting fight which he finished in the final seconds of the first round which had some strikes which looked to my eye similar to things I have been showing in our DVDs.  Certainly I can't say he has been watching our DVDs! but it would tickle my vanity greatly if he were , , ,

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
The Zirconia
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:30:01 AM »
I showed Dan Theodore some of my Kali Tudo a few years back and was pleasantly surprised to see his post on my FB page:

"Hey Marc, wanted to let you know, I sparred a VERY well known fighter today light Box-Heavy Wrestling w MMA gloves and tried out your Kali Tudo Entry you showed me years ago.....I got right to my Underhook! Think punch might of landed too had it been full on IDK. Respect!"

He messaged me as well:

"Here is the vid, I hope it is ok, I give your respect for your 3rd technique, share it if you would like http://youtu.be/HekcOajallU"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HekcOajallU

Actually, forgive my vanity, but, as can be seen in the Kali Tudo-1 DVD, techniques one and two are mine as well  :-D

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:31:54 AM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Zirconia scores a TKO
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
The technique in question scores a quick win here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f8yZmIx9_o&feature=player_embedded#!

The fight begins at about 4:00 with the TKO shortly thereafter.  The slo-mo replay comes at 6:05.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Zirconia begins to hit the mainstream.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
Looks like our Zirconia, which was unseen prior to our KT-1, is entering the main stream: 

http://ironforgesiron.com/2012/06/video-mma-uncensored-live-621-paul-daley-greg-jacksons-camp-firas-zahabi/

see footage after 08:40.  BTW Dan "the Wolfman" Theodore, seen in some of the footage here, has PM'd me about how I showed him the Zirconia several years ago, prior to this training here.

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:41:34 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
Hoping to have a big development on this front in a few weeks , , ,

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pedro Munhoz
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Soy luchador profesional de MMA con un record de ocho victorias y ninguna perdida.  Actualmente entreno como miembro del equipo “Black House” el cual cuenta con destacados luchadores como Anderson Silva y Lyoto Machida.  Vengo entrenando “Kali Tudo” con Marc Denny desde hace algunos meses y puedo ver una grande diferencia en mi estrategia de pelea.   Puedo ver una gran facilidad para atacar mis oponentes en diferentes angulos y distancias. También he aprendido otras maneras de golpear a las que no estaba acostumbrado.  Me sirven muy bien actualmente y las entreno diariamente, cada dia me sirven mejor y espero con ganas usar “Kali Tudo” con éxito en mi proxima pelea. 

Pedro Munhoz

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/18/2643481/pedro-munhoz-mma-10-world-mma-scouting-report

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
Here is my translation:

"I am a professional MMA fighter with a record of 8-0. Currently I am a member of the Black House team, a team which includes fighters such as Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida. I have been training "Kali Tudo" with Marc Denny for several months now and I can see a great difference in my fight strategy. I am finding a great ease in attacking my opponents in different angles and distances. I have also learned new ways of striking with which I was not familiar. They are working well for me and I train them daily, they help me more every day, and I look forward to using "Kali Tudo" in my next fight."

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
This looks rather familiar , , ,
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
When I developed "the Zirconia" (a jab transitioning through on false lead on the outside diamond triangle-- false + diamond = zirconia, my idea of funny) I was applying a footwork that I had used with success in stickfighting with a Lameco combination three. It was not until about 10-12 years later (a year ago from now) that I saw some footage of GM Tatang Ilustrisimo (he being of great influence on my techer Punong Guro Edgar Sulite) sparring on youtube and saw him use this as a special move. I confess to feeling rather clever at having intuited on my own something that this great master of FMA used.

Anyway, I took the concept (jab with a simultaneous forward diagonal step with the year foot finishing with a cross with the other foot stepping to complete the triangle) and applied it to "Kali Tudo".

Shogun Rua knocked out Chuck Liddel with the first half of this, though the punch was more of a long hook than a straight punch because Chuck was moving to his right).

Guard Dog posted a clip not a few months ago here of a complete Zirconia being used for a KO in an MMA fight in India.

Now we see this clip teaching it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZwlBNj0qPks

Am I an egomaniac for calling this a copy of the Zirconia? OTOH, if I don't speak up then , , ,

For_Crafty_Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 01:22:23 AM »
The link in the previous post..now embedded...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwlBNj0qPks[/youtube]
Posted on behalf of Crafty Dog
by Spartan Dog

For_Crafty_Dog

• View Profile
Pedro Munhoz training with some folks you may recognize
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 01:26:43 AM »
Here is my translation:

"I am a professional MMA fighter with a record of 8-0. Currently I am a member of the Black House team, a team which includes fighters such as Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida. I have been training "Kali Tudo" with Marc Denny for several months now and I can see a great difference in my fight strategy. I am finding a great ease in attacking my opponents in different angles and distances. I have also learned new ways of striking with which I was not familiar. They are working well for me and I train them daily, they help me more every day, and I look forward to using "Kali Tudo" in my next fight."

Pedro Munhoz

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/18/2643481/pedro-munhoz-mma-10-world-mma-scouting-report

“Pedro Munhoz training with some folks you may recognize.”

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:39:27 AM by For_Crafty_Dog »
by Spartan Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 08:00:21 AM »
Pedro is now 9-0  8-) 8-) 8-) 

Details to follow. :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
His opponent was 20-3 with 17 submissions. A knee to the face set up Pedro's submission.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Kali Tudo...how's it going in MMA?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 09:52:14 PM »
My bad, he is now 8-0.

Here is the fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yJUoyDuFs-c

And no, he did not use any Kali Tudo.  :lol: Indeed, he barely cracked a sweat  8-)

Stickgrappler

• Power User
  • "...grappling happens. It just does." - Top Dog
    • View Profile
    • Stickgrappler's Sojourn of Septillon Steps
RFA 8 - Mitch Jackson vs Pedro Munhoz
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
Woof:

LOL at me - asked a friend who lives in WI for a favor. Get the DVD yesterday and Guro C has a link to the fight already !

I made 2 more GIFs here:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/06/mma-mitch-jackson-vs-pedro-munhoz.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:31:02 AM by Stickgrappler »
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
5 more GIFs of Pedro Munhoz
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 08:44:27 AM »
Woof:

Made 5 more GIFs of Pedro Munhoz last night.

This is what Guard Dog noted on DBMA FB group.

3 more animated GIFs here of Pedro Munhoz in action:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/06/mma-mitch-jackson-vs-pedro-munhoz_26.html

Enjoy!
"A good stickgrappler has good stick skills, good grappling, and good stickgrappling and can keep track of all three simultaneously. This is a good trick and can be quite effective." - Marc "Crafty Dog" Denny

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
Nice work SG-- much appreciated!

Of the five on SG's page, arguably two of them have flashes of KT:

In the second GIF we see a Dracula combo (horizontal elbow-backfist).  Yes the backfist does not have all that much zip on it (he's moving away in this moment instead on moving in), but it is very nice to see the KT movement beginning to express.  Ideally in KT this combo is 2/3 of a triplet, with the hammer fist being a momentary continuation of the OODA loop disruption of the elbow setting up a strong shot from the other hand.

In the fifth one we see the Pedro's right caveman to the arm flow into a right hand to the head.  Although the left arm is not in Dracula, what the right hand does here is a combo from Arfful Dodger.Again it is but 2/3 of the whole KT combination, with the third note of the triplet being the power backhand (what we call "the Dodger" in memory of a certain story) either as the first or third note of the triplet.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:47:31 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Stickgrappler

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »
Tail wags Guro C!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »
For those of you in the Chicago area, Pete "C-Smiling Dog" Juska fights this weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/events/519720344752980/

We are hoping that this is the fight where he steps through the looking glass and really brings some Kali Tudo.

Pedro Munhoz fights Keoni Koch for the RFA 135 pound title on Friday August 16th at the "Stubhub Center" (310-630-2020) at 18400 Avalon Blvd. in Carson (part of Los Angeles) Tickets at axs.com or cagetix.com

Here too we are hoping to see Pedro bring the KT; the "problem" is that he is winning handily without it :-)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »

Smiling Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
WOOF  :-D

Stepped into the laboratory (cage) over the weekend. Fought a tough kid 5-0 holds several championship belts and is a Juco national wrestling champ. So i had my work cut out for me but I knew what I had to do. Bottom line I lost the fight - 1st round 2:11 TKO

I started off in the Dracula structure - low and knees bent. As the bell rang, I began to circle slow and then gained speed as I entered in with the a backhand followed by an uppercut. I felt the backhand could have had a bit more on it.... but the uppercut made up for it.
After that I remember my opponent covering and becoming stationary. THIS IS WHERE I F*CK#D UP!!!! Instead of "Stinking Him" I backed off and assessed the damage and posed for the cameras. Thats when he decided enough of this and just took me down. After we rolled for a bit and  beat on me the ref called it. I took some of his best shots and walked out just fine which I am  :-D about.

Spoke with my opponent and his corner man after the fight. They both were thrown off by the appearance of the Dracula structure. Both had no idea what was about to happen and it freaked them out a bit. The response in the fight from my opponent was to cover and weather the storm. Which is Y I am  :-(   WHEN WE HAVE ADVANTAGE, WE TAKE ADVANTAGE.... HE IS THE TURD AND WE ARE THE SMELL WHEREVER HE GOES WE FOLLOW!!! AND IF IS STANDING STILL COVERING UP WE KEEP BEATING ON HIM, CIRCLING TOWARDS HIS BACK AND DOING OTHER COOL MARTIAL ARTS AND CRAFTS !!!

This is how I recall the fight... plz keep in mind I took some good shots to the head  :| When I get some video I will post it.

TAC 
C-Smiling Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pedro Munhoz fights for the RFA title this Friday
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 08:13:14 PM »
Viewing info on the front page.

For the record, with a title on the line, he probably will not be using Kali Tudo for the first time.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Some feedback
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »
This from a student today:

"On a different note we have been playing with the KT Clinch material quite a bit in the past few days.

"We are fortunate to have several highly skilled athletes in our school. On Monday we hold our sparring classes. Contact is usually fairly heavy and pretty much anything other than elbows is allowed though even then those tend to sneak in under control.

"Anyway, Johnathan was going with Ivan, who was a golden gloves boxer about 15 years ago. John was able to get behind him and take him down consistently using the Dodger and the harness to single combination. He has always had trouble with Ivan before.

"Another of our students, Felix, was a line backer for the 49ers. I had great success bringing him down using Time Machine to get his back. He would try to pull forward from the half nelson and I would end up with either seatbelt or single leg and end up in side control every time. Due to his size and strength I have never been able to do that before.

"Just wanted to pass these experiences on and say thank you!"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pedro Munhoz RFA Champ
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
Though with a championship shot on the line Pedro understandably chose to not apply Kali Tudo for the first time a hearty howl of congratulations on his winning the RFA title in his ninth fight against a fighter with fifty two fights under challenging conditions (a very wet and slippery ring).

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
C-Smiling Dog fights in less than three hours-- watch him here!
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
Pete "C-Smiling Dog" Juska fights MMA in 4 hours at http://www.supremepromotionschicago.com/watch-fight-live/  We are hoping to see some Kali Tudo out of him!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »
I just spoke with Pete. We should have the whole fight in a few days.  Pete's comment was that in the first round he was using some Dodger to Cross out of the Dracula Fang but the guy was getting some duck unders and that the latter half of the first round was tough for him.  The footage you see here  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201088038140897&set=vb.1166915475&type=2&theater is from the second round.  Look closely and you will see that the guy is looking to drop under the Dracula Fang and eats a knee/shin to the face.  Apparently he was dropped so hard that a stretcher was brought in and he was still on queer street thirty minutes later. 

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-7XUwi7x0M&feature=youtu.be

Some Kali Tudo at 00:55 to 01:10 as well as the KO in round two.

I'd rather have seen a sprawl instead of pull to guard after the Dodger-Cross-Kick combo in round one but very nice to see him bringing the KT game to bear.  He took a cut to the left eyelid later in the round, probably after he took that shot to the groin.

Pete tells me his sense of things was that in Round Two the guy was weirded out by the Dracula Fang structure and sought to by pass it with a tackle-- with the results you see here.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 08:44:32 PM »

I was over at Black House today and watched Lyoto (looking very sharp at 185 for his fight with Munoz) and Glover T. spar in the cage. Great rapport between the two as Glover, spelled by others, pushed Lyoto hard. Afterwards, Lyoto and I chatted a bit.

My wife does not understand why I don't want to leave LA.

For_Crafty_Dog

• View Profile
Kali Tudo...how's it going in MMA?
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
by Spartan Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »
Woof All:

This is a cut I took while sparring MMA a few weeks ago.  Four stitches; I should be good to go again in another week or so.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 08:03:21 AM »
Pedro Munhoz has been called by the UFC for the 135 lb division.  He fights in two weeks! Go Pedro!

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »
Look at the gifs later in the article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1960174-lyoto-machida-old-school-karate

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 09:31:08 AM »

bjlc209

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Pedro Munhoz, UFC fighter on his training in Kali Tudo
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »

Pedro Munhoz, currently fighting in the UFC and doing well in the 135lb division has some nice things to say about his training with me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRQbmeP6l8&t=3s