Author Topic: Stickfighting video game  (Read 13843 times)

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
Stickfighting video game
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:51:08 AM »
With the popularity of video games in todays culture i would love for there to be a DOG BROs video game that focuses on stickfighting. I just love games like fightnight rd3 a very realistic boxing game.

video game title "DOG BROS... stickfighting...talk the talk walk the walk. "

you could have a lot of the well known dogs. Top, Crafty, Arlan, Lonely,  Dogzilla, Surf,... etc.
the differences in style and attributes could make it very interesting. Arlan with his kicks, Top with his backhand, Lonely with his speed, Dogzilla with his power, ...

you could play as a dog, unlock higher level dogs, or you could campaign and customize aor develop a fighter. bring him from outisder, to candidate, to dog, to guru, to teacher, ... a way to do it would be to have so many total hit points(think dungeons and dragons) then you choose body type, face, weight, race, eyes, etc. then you decide on how many points you want to give for speed, agility, power, etc.

with each fight he could gain attribtes like speed, agility, power, etc. inbetween fights he could decide between what type of training he wants to focus on. power. speed. footwork. etc. by weightlifting, cone drills, sprints, bagwork, etc.

aor he could develop his special- knee attack, sticks and kicks, attacking block, footattack, etc.

different types of bouts could be a possibilty. deathmatch. fight. smak sticks. staff vs stick. etc.
different environments as well. mountains. sandy beach. park. raw gym. pier. alley. hallway. weather could be a factor as well. snow. rain. mud.

the ability to earn money by taking bouts and winning could make buying equipment a possiblity. like better sticks. shoes. helmet. these new equipment could make the fighter gain in a specific attribute, like shoes-agility, stick-power, helmet-damge reduction, etc. cosmetic things like tattooos, jewelry, etc.

alternative views and replays would make it awesome. killer music. fighter entry music. crowd participation. etc.

please tell me guys what you think of this idea. ?

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Stickfighting video game
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 07:19:13 AM »
I guess the only snag I see is in relation to winning.  Otherewise, I would play it!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

RedDog

• View Profile
Stickfighting video game
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:12:58 PM »
Double Dragon was a great old school game that used stickfighting dogbrothers style. SC2 had a guy that used a staff. If they came out with a stickfighting game I'd buy it for sure.

CrazyCossack

• View Profile
Stickfighting video game
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:30:55 AM »
While I think this would be a cool game... its just like any other game you could get out there, with the novelty of a recognizable (to you) name.

How many people know about the dog brothers, maybe theres alot, but not nearly enough to appeal to any video game company looking to make a buck (and thats what there trying to do) by making a game about stickfighting.  When they could make the exact same game and call it "Lord of the Rings Fighter" or something like that, and use much more recognizable characters.  This game would appeal to a far far greater amount of people than a dog brothers game.  Even if it was something as simple as the characters you could play, and where you were fighting.

(Middle Earth as opposed to.... Earth...)

Furthermore, I think if the Dog Brothers lent there name to a video game, I really think they'd be whoring themselves out, and I would lose almost all respect I have for them.

RedDog

• View Profile
Stickfighting video game
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 02:04:23 PM »
I'd just like to see more Kali in videogames.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Stickfighting video game
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 04:06:06 PM »
I think the only people that could pull off a stickfighting game is Nintendo with the new Wii. Seriously have you see the commercials?

Well let me back up, the reason I think Nintendo could pull it off is primarliy because of what I have read about the controller that the Wii uses, based on what I have read it would be perfect for a stick fighting game.

"http://reviews.cnet.com/Nintendo_Wii/4505-6464_7-31355104.html
Accelerometers inside the remote sense how the device is being held and if it's being moved in any direction. These sensors control actions such as baseball bat and golf club swings in Wii Sports, Link's sword slashes in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and even steering trucks in Excite Truck. Moreover, you hold the Wiimote differently depending on the game: grasp it like the hilt of a sword in Zelda and Red Steel, as a baseball bat or tennis racket in Wii Sports, or hold it horizontally as a steering bar for Excite Truck. Because the Wiimote is so light, these controls and movements can take some getting used to. Fortunately, a speaker and a force-feedback module built into the Wiimote can provide additional tactile and audio feedback for your actions and add an extra bit of immersion to the Wii experience. For example, the remote's tiny speaker makes an audible "Clang!" when Link swings his sword, and it rumbles when Link strikes an enemy. Even menu selections on the Wii are signaled by helpful little vibrations of the Wiimote.

The Wiimote also uses a set of infrared sensors to determine the remote's orientation in regard to the television. A set of IR diodes in the Wiimote communicate with the Wii's sensor bar to serve as a pointer for navigating menus and aiming weapons in first-person shooters. Again, this control system takes some getting used to, but once you adapt to the control, pointing with the Wiimote feels much more natural than using an analog stick. It doesn't quite replace the beloved mouse-and-keyboard combination for FPS games, but--after getting acclimated to it--we found it worked better than traditional console controllers.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 04:14:54 PM by Robertlk808 »
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
I played one the other day and the blue tooth controllers are still in their infancy.  They move in 2D and only one way at a time.  Once they improve upon this which at the rate technology it could be in the next year it would make for a killer game and training device if it was dialed in.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 05:52:45 PM »
... Once they improve upon this which at the rate technology it could be in the next year it would make for a killer game and training device if it was dialed in.

Gruhn

Exactly it could be an intriguing training device once the bugs and kinks are worked out.... I believe the army used some games to simulate training (Was it quake or something?), I think the Wii could possibly be used for some simulating some training through a lot of tweaks. Not that training simulation is any better than getting out there in the field and getting some hands on expierence.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »
Note- Dangerous Warrior is releasing a video game for sword and weapon dueling - legionairres, ninja, chinese sword, and some others. Looks really fun and is designed around realism.

Rarick

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:02:33 AM »
One of these! Search Virtusphere for more info. 

A Wii controller in each hand for a stick/sword and you may actually get away from the stick hicky...........then again it is EXPENSIVE.  You probably wouldn't get the adrenal state going after a few VR sessions either.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20100312/virtusphere-virtual-reality-games-gdc/