Author Topic: Die Less Often: Interface of Gun, Knife and Emtpy Hand  (Read 66540 times)

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Die Less Often: Interface of Gun, Knife and Emtpy Hand
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »
Moreover, in recent years a number of controversial, high-profile encounters have been captured on news video, showing officers using what appeared to be extraordinary force to expose downed suspects' hidden hands during capture and arrest.

"Media critics and other civilians, including jurors and force review board members, seemed unable to understand the officers' sense of urgency in some of these cases," says Lewinski, FSI's executive director. "Strikes with batons or flashlights delivered by officers trying to gain control of resistant suspects' hands were sometimes interpreted as malicious outbreaks of rage and vindictiveness.

**What? People with no training and experience trash officers out of ignorance. Who'd ever imagine such a thing?**

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
Good thing the Dog Brother Martial Arts forum is part of spreading the word  :wink:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Dog Catcher in Action
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »
A corrections officer who requests anonymity writes:

When I bought Die Less Often 1&2  I saw that the Dog Catcher was similar to what I had been taught in the academy but instead of counting on my thumbs to make the stop (!) I had a more formidable barrier in my forearms. I spent a fair amount of time just visualizing that and then another C.O. and I would practice it with a Folger Adams key. It took!

Twice I have been the #2 man on an extraction team when an inmate tried to step on his bunk and come over the top of the shield with a shank in his right hand in ice pick grip.  If he could have stuck the shield man with it, he would have.    I stepped up on the bunk and caught his right arm with the V of my forearms (both times were pretty close to my wrists), that set me up to bend his elbow and push his wrist towards his ear and trap his arm so he couldn't extend it again. I was able to put a rough version of a figure 4 on his arm both times. I dropped off the bunk and slammed him into the bunk, both times I did it I dislocated the inmate's shoulder. The video on it is pretty poor (I don't have access). You can see me pop up and then drop back down and on the first one you can hear my Captain exclaim "Jesus Christ! Uh, STOP RESISTING!"

I caught some grief both times because I'm so big (6' 5" 265+) and nobody expected me to move so well.

As I think about this more I realize I probably started the transfer from DC to the hammer lock as fast as my forearms made contact with his. My momentum carried it right through.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
This corrections officer writes in a follow up  "the fence and the dog catcher both took very little time to become intuitive for me."

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »
Using a Folger Adams for training key is clever. For those who don't know, those are the giant keys used on some locks inside correctional/detentions facilities. I don't recall seeing any with significantly sharp edges, so that's useful for on duty training in those environments.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
Any pictures available, or would that be a security breach?

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »