Author Topic: Just started seriously training knife and stick work  (Read 6776 times)

penguinman000

• View Profile
Just started seriously training knife and stick work
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:16:05 PM »
So I've been training BJJ for the last 5-6 years and my situation allows me to train 5-6 days a week.  I've decided to add Muay Thai and knife/stick work in.  I have been training knives/sticks 2-3 days a week.  I know that 2 new arts at once may seem like a lot to take on at once but I'm trying to find the common ground between the 3 (same/similar movements etc..) but am having a few problems.

1.  I'm having a hard time keeping my hands/arms inside the "box" when using knives/sticks.

2.  How the hell do you figure out where to watch?  Where do you look at on your opponet?

3.  We have been "sparring" with padded knives and sticks.  It's a ton of fun but I've been concentrating on just striking the hand with the weapon.  Is it wrong to practice just this one technique starting out and then move on to other techniques once I get this one?  The flow of sparring is new to me and things flow so much quicker than BJJ it's hard to know if I'm on the right path.

Lastly, let me end this by saying I have a good instructor who is legit.  I don't desire ANY internet drama, I just figured that I have the chance to get some outside advice from a respectable source so I would ask you all.  Thanks in advance for the thought out responses.

And please don't limit your suggestions/critisims to just the questions above.  Anything that will enhance my training and increase my learning curve is greatly appriciated.

nick

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 07:20:31 AM »
Nick,
  You have done something many people these days are not willing to do.  You have gone out of your comfort zone and taken on something new.  Personally I believe that fighting is fighting no matter how many arts you study.  Just like any other art, the more genres you study the better you will get.  I can?t tell you how much studying Jazz has helped me in playing Rock music.  While I am not an artist I have heard the same thing about drawing and painting.  That said, I don?t think taking on the addition of MT & the FMA?s at once is too much.  In fact, when I started as a kid JKD, MT, FMA, Boxing & Grappling were all thrown at me at once.  ?Research your own experience, absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own.?  Take it all in and gather things that work for you.  

In that respect stick work has helped by giving me the positive externality of an insanely strong grip.  This has drastically helped out my grappling.  The FMA?s in general have helped out my footwork for Boxing and MT too.  JKD trapping (while many people think it does not work) has given me the upper hand in grappling, boxing and MT as well.

Keep us updated on your experience,

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

SB_Mig

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »
Nick,

1. I'm having a hard time keeping my hands/arms inside the "box" when using knives/sticks.

Try placing a training knife/dvd case in the armpit of your swinging arm and hold it tight to your body with your swinging arm. Now practice all your swinging drills without dropping the knife/case. This will not only make your movements less telegraphic, but it will also keep your fighting stance tight.

2. How the hell do you figure out where to watch? Where do you look at on your opponet?

Different strokes for different folks. I tend to watch my opponents center of mass as it helps my peripheral vision.

Is it wrong to practice just this one technique starting out and then move on to other techniques once I get this one?

Again, different for everyone, but I'm willing to guess that when you started rolling you added techniques as you progressed. Try learning between 1-3 techniques as drill them constantly, adding/subtracting as you feel comfortable.

Good luck and good training,

Miguel