Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 6970 times)

lemonjello

• View Profile
Where to start?
« on: July 10, 2006, 07:27:38 PM »
Hi all,

I was recently introduced to FMA by a family member and have since begun searching for more material/instruction.  One thing I am not clear on after browsing this site is exactly where to start.  Specifically, should a beginner start with the RCSF series or do the members only video lessons offer more foundation work?

I really like the fact that you guys blend in some groundwork and actually test the material with blood, sweat, and teeth  :P .  This system, if you call it that, is something I would enjoy studying, even if only by video for now.

I would eventually love to attend some seminars or personal training, but I was severely affected by hurricane katrina and even buying a pair of rattan sticks is somewhat of luxury for me right now, even more so a couple of $40 dvds or a $75 membership!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »
Woof LJ:

Well, first things first-- if your finances are that shaky, take care of that first.

When you feel ready, I would suggest our Real Contact Stickfighting series as a good place to begin.  The focus is on solo training which will enable you to develop good skills which are necessary both directly for fighting and for improving your fightings skills futher through good training with partners.

For two man training, both beginning and experienced, I would recommend our "Combining Stick & Footwork" and "Krabi Krabong.

The Vid-lessons available through the DBMA Association tend to orient towards skills for those with a foundation already in place.

I hope this helps.  Please surf through the many pages of this forum too.  There are many thoughtful and useful threads to be found.

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty

lemonjello

• View Profile
Where to start?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 04:40:14 PM »
Thanks a bunch.  And yes, I'm focusing more on eating and paying bills than stickfighting for now :>