Author Topic: Capoeira application in Dog Brother's Training  (Read 9226 times)

Full Thrust

• View Profile
Capoeira application in Dog Brother's Training
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:56:17 AM »
How many Capoeiristas have trained in the "Dog" method?

rogt

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Capoeira application in Dog Brother's Training
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 05:19:48 PM »
Most of what I've seen of the art (which looks very cool BTW) were spinning kicks at high targets (defined as above the ribs), which typically aren't very successful in Gathering fights.  But I think the Capoeira techniques could do a lot of damage in a Gathering if the concentration were on low targets (knees, thighs, ribs).  In general, no art by itself works particularly well at a Gathering unless you spend some time training it specifically for those kinds of fights.

Maybe you were asking specifically what any Capoeira practioners think of the DB material...  I'm just trying to start up some discussion.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 06:31:10 PM »
I think that the footwork of Capoeira would have a great base for fighting in the gatherings.  From the studying I have done of the art there is a lot of False Lead and angular footwork.  Take a peak at the Kali Tudo DVD and see if it reminds you of footwork you may have experienced in Capoeira.  Also, keep in mind that not all of the art has to be applicable to the gathering in order for it to be justified.  You hear many people saying stuff like "wrestling beats striking" , "Muay Thai beats TKD" , etc. when in reality it can simply be an attribute gained by a specific art that facilitates a good fight.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

outcast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:06 AM »
Hey Ryan,

I've trained in Capoeira and DBMA.  There are similarities between the footworks, but not as similar as you would think.  The way I was trained in it, I actually had no pentrating steps, except on a teap like kick (I forgot what they called it because it's been a long time) See my post in the member section about this.  I think that's why my Kali Tudo has entered into my footwork so easily.  I'm similar to Guro Lonely in that I'm a footwork (counter fighter) based fighter.  Interestingly enough, when I was using a Mark Hatmaker drill, I actually pulled off a Capoeira kick has a counter to a Teap which surprised everyone.  I think Capoeira has application in certain areas such as a surprise attack, or angola Capoeira is another area I'd like to explore more (ground based attacks).  Frank Shamrock has been known to use a variation of a Capoeira kick to defend from the ground with a standing opponent and Mark Hatmaker's material uses a similar kick and a defense from a Capoeira position.  One kick I find highly useful is called S-batito.  It's basically on all fours then transferring weight to one side of the body (hand and foot) and using a cartwheel like whip to kick across the body which ends you up at standing.  E-mail me sometime.  Maybe, I'll make a video of the similarities.

outcast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:12:52 AM »
PS.  Capoeira has a stick system.  I saw it while I was training with them, I don't know much about it, but it was pretty rudimentary, and mostly based off musical beats (using them as instruments to the song, ie. caveman strikes to a beat).  I'll look into this again a little more.  Oh, and I've been known to join FMA stick strikes with a Capoeira kick (because it's the only thing you really could do if you swung hard and carried through).

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 01:52:09 PM »
Alan Goes tried a capoeira kick against Marc Coleman, I think it was in pride.

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com