Author Topic: Grandfathers Speak Vol. 2: Sonny Umpad  (Read 77969 times)

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfathers Speak Vol. 2: Sonny Umpad
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 11:56:12 PM »
Pictures of Sonny are hard to come by Datu Worden posted this on his site so I thought I would share some with everyone here.  To see more visit http://www.kellyworden.com/sonny.html

"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Atropos

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2006, 12:23:52 AM »
Is there an estimated release date for this?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2006, 06:38:07 AM »
Actually all that needs to be done is to finish the box cover.   We were unable to finish it before some other matters had to be dealt with, and then a couple of waves of cooties washed over the family.  Our plan is to finish it by year's end.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2006, 05:52:48 PM »
For those that still dont know too much about Sonny Datu Worden scanned in an interview from the old magazine Full Contact, as practitioner we really gotta be thankful to those who are able to capture moments of time from the masters so that we will always have some kind of visual / literary rememberance.

The rest is at http://www.kellyworden.com/sonny.html
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Atropos

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2007, 04:48:37 AM »
Waiting impatiently  :-D

Atropos

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2007, 01:04:40 AM »
Is there a release date on this yet?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 02:12:09 AM »
I know, I know, we've been very bad. :oops:  We have finished the box cover and the Umpad people have approved it.  Cindy is scheduled to put it into the format for the duplication house and send it in tomorrow (i.e. Friday the 16th).  We are hoping to have it ready by March 1.

Atropos

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2007, 05:55:56 AM »
Great :) Thanks for the quick reply.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 11:13:56 AM »
Excellent, Im looking forward to this as well.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »
Please note that the promo clip for this is up on the front page.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
I love the part where Sonny is in the living room and the clips go back and forth between Sonny and Ilustrisimo and Sonny does that neat knee bump while the other guy is off balance and sends him flying.

pappydog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Gotta have it
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2007, 09:23:24 AM »
Please reserve me a copy.

Pappydog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2007, 10:11:26 AM »
Everyone:

Please give Cindy some warm, gentle inquiries as to when this will be shipping, but don't tell her I said so :evil:

TAC,
CD

Pat the Knife

• View Profile
    • Rites of Passage Tattoo
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »
After watching Volume 1 for the first time just last night, I'm really interested in this second volume, especially with Sonny's emphasis on fluid flow and the *spirit* behind stick and knife work. He seemed like a very genuine, skilled, and interesting man. When I talked with Kelly Worden last, he spoke very highly of Mr Umpad.
"Destroy What Destroys You"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2007, 07:30:37 PM »
Pretty Kitty has finished the bar coding on the box (this has been the hold-up), we are taking pre-orders and shipping is expected by April 20.  Thanks to one and all for you patience.

wavecutter

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2007, 07:55:14 AM »
I love the part where Sonny is in the living room and the clips go back and forth between Sonny and Ilustrisimo and Sonny does that neat knee bump while the other guy is off balance and sends him flying.

That guy getting bumped with the knee is Mario Quiroz, my teacher.

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
We're happy to announce Grandfathers 2 is shipping from our duplication house tomorrow!  In preparation for it's arrival we're going to starting processing pre-orders today.  Your order will ship in the order it was received.  We expect to make our first shipment to our customers the day the DVD arrives.  If you want to be part of this first wave of shipments, please get your order in ASAP!

Meowwwwwwwwwwww!
Cindy Denny
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

Bob Burgee

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »

Bob Burgee.
Technical Director.
robertburgee@gmail.com

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »
Great pics! Is there a cool story to share behind it too? I know Guro Crafty said that he first met Sonny in Germany, Im assuming the pics are from then?

Bob Burgee

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
These pics were forwarded from Guro Crafty. I'm sure he will post the story soon  :-)
Bob Burgee.
Technical Director.
robertburgee@gmail.com

Sebresos

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 12:07:22 AM »
Speaking of The Grandfathers. I have read articles that Floro Villabrille could pull nails out of 2x4's making a sound similar to a gunshot, and also had the abilitiy to peel coconuts with his bare hands! Does anybody here thinks that possible, or can anyone confirm these feats.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
The pics of Maestro Sonny and me are from Dieter Knuetel (sp?) and Alfred Plath's big shindig several years ago in Dusseldorf Germany (A "20 masters under one roof for one weekend" sort of thing).    Great fun!  Given the nature of such an event, it was expenses only for us and Germany is a long trip from Los Angeles.  I can honestly say that seeing that Maestro Sonny would be there was the key factor in my decision to go.  I had heard rumors that intrigued me and made sure to schedule my day so that I could check him out.

He recognized me and was very kind and gracious.  A very gentle demeanor.  His "pendulum" training method is conceptually quite similar to our "metronome" and so we were able to achieve a base level of training rapport quite quickly.  He gracefully and effortlessly established some serious angles on me.  The amount of distance he could glide was quite amazing.  When we did knife he did standard grip reverse edge-- which I had never before experienced in the hands of someone who knew what he was doing.  :-o

I asked if he would teach me and he laughed and said he would rather exchange techniques.  I think I may have blushed a tad. :lol:
He gave me his address, but in one of the larger stupidities of my life I failed to follow up.  I was in LA and he was in Oakland and as the years went by it was always "I'll get to this next month". :cry:

I got word of his lung cancer from one of his students.  In such a moment one wants to be sure to not intrude or be the ghoul, and at the same time, it is a last opportunity.  I had his student ask if he would be interested in doing a Grandfathers 2 with us and was informed he was quite eager to begin.

Things were set up and Ron "Night Owl" Gabriel and I drove up.  As we entered his living room/training hall, I was moved to see that he had a picture of the two of us together in Dusseldorf.

It was a very special day as is students came to perform for him one last time.

Maestro Sonny's dignity and composure throughout the day moved me greatly-- off the top of my head I cannot think of a greater lesson than that.

The Adventure continues, , ,
Crafty Dog

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2009, 01:41:23 PM »
Speaking of The Grandfathers. I have read articles that Floro Villabrille could pull nails out of 2x4's making a sound similar to a gunshot, and also had the abilitiy to peel coconuts with his bare hands! Does anybody here thinks that possible, or can anyone confirm these feats.

I do not know the answer offhand but I believe there are a few people around Hawaii who may have a clue.  I was told that Floro Villabrille and Braulio Pedoy used to train together but it would always be in private. Oh to be a mongoose in the banana patch during those sessions.  :-D

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »
The pics of Maestro Sonny and me are from Dieter Knuetel (sp?) and Alfred Plath's big shindig several years ago in Dusseldorf Germany (A "20 masters under one roof for one weekend" sort of thing).    Great fun!  Given the nature of such an event, it was expenses only for us and Germany is a long trip from Los Angeles.  I can honestly say that seeing that Maestro Sonny would be there was the key factor in my decision to go.  I had heard rumors that intrigued me and made sure to schedule my day so that I could check him out.

He recognized me and was very kind and gracious.  A very gentle demeanor.  His "pendulum" training method is conceptually quite similar to our "metronome" and so we were able to achieve a base level of training rapport quite quickly.  He gracefully and effortlessly established some serious angles on me.  The amount of distance he could glide was quite amazing.  When we did knife he did standard grip reverse edge-- which I had never before experienced in the hands of someone who knew what he was doing.  :-o

I asked if he would teach me and he laughed and said he would rather exchange techniques.  I think I may have blushed a tad. :lol:
He gave me his address, but in one of the larger stupidities of my life I failed to follow up.  I was in LA and he was in Oakland and as the years went by it was always "I'll get to this next month". :cry:

I got word of his lung cancer from one of his students.  In such a moment one wants to be sure to not intrude or be the ghoul, and at the same time, it is a last opportunity.  I had his student ask if he would be interested in doing a Grandfathers 2 with us and was informed he was quite eager to begin.

Things were set up and Ron "Night Owl" Gabriel and I drove up.  As we entered his living room/training hall, I was moved to see that he had a picture of the two of us together in Dusseldorf.

It was a very special day as is students came to perform for him one last time.

Maestro Sonny's dignity and composure throughout the day moved me greatly-- off the top of my head I cannot think of a greater lesson than that.

The Adventure continues, , ,
Crafty Dog

That must have been hella cool Guro.   Sometimes when I feel like putting something off til tomorrow I am reminded by the blog that Tom Furman put up in titled "There is no tomorrow!"
http://physicalstrategies.blogspot.com/2007/01/there-is-no-tomorrow.html

Now excuse while I go do something that I have been putting off, LOL. 

Also wanted to say thanks for documenting one of the greats.

Also a shout out to Maija and Eddy of course for sharing some knowledge while we were visiting in LA.

Aloha.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:47:21 PM by Robertlk808 »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2009, 02:35:27 PM »
It WAS hella cool.

And a hearty woof of affirmation to the fine seeds that Maestro Sonny planted in folks like Maija and Eddy and , , , I not really the one to list the names, but I was greatly impressed by what I saw of his students that day in Oakland.  Maija and I get together occasionally to share.  Good times! 8-)

maija

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
Maestro Sonny's untimely death took us all by surprise, and I find myself still mourning his passing - he was a most singular individual with a phenomenal talent, and I consider myself incredibly fortunate for the time I had to train with him.
I am indeed grateful to you Guro Crafty and also to Night Owl for deciding to make the trip up, and the very cool documentary of Sonny's work that came out of your visit. You have played a big part in showing Sonny's ideas to a wider audience so that his influence in FMA is not forgotten, and for that too I am grateful.
On a personal note, your visit to film Maestro Sonny gave me the opportunity to connect with you and the community of DBMA which has been awesome, and I hope to continue exchanging ideas and learning new things in the spirit of walking like a warrior through all my days.  8-)

Robert808 - You know you and Peregrine are always welcome!
It will seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first.
Miyamoto Musashi.

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »
Maestro Sonny's untimely death took us all by surprise, and I find myself still mourning his passing - he was a most singular individual with a phenomenal talent, and I consider myself incredibly fortunate for the time I had to train with him.
I am indeed grateful to you Guro Crafty and also to Night Owl for deciding to make the trip up, and the very cool documentary of Sonny's work that came out of your visit. You have played a big part in showing Sonny's ideas to a wider audience so that his influence in FMA is not forgotten, and for that too I am grateful.
On a personal note, your visit to film Maestro Sonny gave me the opportunity to connect with you and the community of DBMA which has been awesome, and I hope to continue exchanging ideas and learning new things in the spirit of walking like a warrior through all my days.  8-)

Robert808 - You know you and Peregrine are always welcome!

Thank you Maija.
I've been watching GM Sonnys stuff a lot recently. Robert and I attempted some of it saturday. Maybe yourself, Eddy, Robert and I can have an afternoon together sometime this year. all the best to you.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »
"On a personal note, your visit to film Maestro Sonny gave me the opportunity to connect with you and the community of DBMA which has been awesome, and I hope to continue exchanging ideas and learning new things in the spirit of walking like a warrior through all my days." 

Whoops!  I missed this until just now :oops:

I too look forward to continuing to exchange ideas.  When next shalll we get together?  Shoot me an email and let me know.