Author Topic: Grandfathers Speak Vol. 2: Sonny Umpad  (Read 77959 times)

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Grandfathers Speak Vol. 2: Sonny Umpad
« on: August 15, 2006, 06:46:44 PM »
Woof All:

I first met Sonny a couple of years ago in Dusseldorf, Germany at Dieter Knuettel and Alfred Plath's extravaganza of many FMA teachers under one roof for one weekend.  Sonny was one of the people I most wanted to check out, but due to scheduling conflicts between my sessions and his, I was able to catch only one of his sessions.

WOW!  :-o :-o :-o  I was greatly impressed and now am very proud to announce that Vol 2 of our irregular series "The Grandfathers Speak" will be featuring Manong/Guro/GM Sonny Umpad. 

The footage was shot at his home two weeks ago with many of the instructors Manong Sonny created in attendance and participating as well.  Footage of him as a younger man is being provided and DBMA's editor extraordinaire Ron "Night Owl" Gabriel has already finished the first edit and is now at work on the second pass.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog

TomFurman

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.physicalstrategies.com
Re: Grandfathers Speak Vol. 2: Sonny Umpad
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 10:47:12 PM »
This should be great stuff. I remember reading about him in the now defunct, "Full Contact" magazine. Jessie Glover referred to him as Bruce Lee with sticks. That should be enough for anyone.

--Tom

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:18:05 AM »
Sweeeeeet!!  Wow Crafty Dog you get around, lol.  When I first started with Kelly Worden, Dieter Knuttel passed through Washington and did a seminar at the school, neat guy.
About 6 months later Kelly Worden hosted a seminar with Sonny Umpad, really cool stuff. I cant wait to see this!  I still practice some of the fulcrum stuff that I learned that day.
Actually I want to see if I can pull off some of the centerline straight \ stick blast against Dogzilla someday, lol.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:20:25 AM by Robertlk808 »
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 09:54:16 AM »
wow can't wait to see that one myself.

Robert, i've seen the straight blast, type move work with sinawali and smaksticks. not sure if you were referring to switching?

Poidog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:24:56 AM »
Actually I want to see if I can pull off some of the centerline straight \ stick blast against Dogzilla someday, lol.
Just don't get caught by his thai kick on the way in...it will ruin your day.

TomFurman, wow, a reference to "Full Contact"!  Good job.  I remember that article as well.  In fact, I think I still have all 8 or 9 issues in storage back home in Hawaii.

Guro Crafty, I really look forward to this release.  Great job, as usual.

Aloha, Kalani
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:26:58 AM by Kalani »
Who dares wins - British SAS

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:23:30 PM »
You guys still have your copies? Sweeet!  I think I only have 4 or more left, I let a co-worker in Seattle borrow \ check out some issues, fool got fired and never returned my mags, tried getting a hold of the dude but he never answered the phone, grrrrrrr!
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 02:20:26 AM »
Just don't get caught by his thai kick on the way in...it will ruin your day.

Ha, Ill probably have to watch out for more than that...

Robert, i've seen the straight blast, type move work with sinawali and smaksticks. not sure if you were referring to switching?

Peregrine, Im not quite sure I understand. The center line fulcrum is using two sticks, imagine using a wing chun / JKD straight blast but with sticks, it is kinda hard to describe, lol.
It's like you have your arms folded and your sticks tucked under your arm pits, as you pull out you aim the punyo towards the recipient, the stick should slide out and up against the arm pit and the tip  is using the  arm pit as a fulcrum and they should hit what your punyo is pointed at.  I think there are better descriptions out there but that is the best I can do for now.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 12:33:39 PM »
A snippet of this motion done single stick will probably appear in "Grandfathers Speak 2: Sonny Umpad" (he says craftily in promotion thereof  :wink: )

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 12:59:20 PM »
Wow... so I can only imagine it is hitting and trapping?  I have also heard Sonny is quite skilled with the blade, I hope to see some footage of him with the blade as well.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »
I was reading Jeff Finder's Blog and found the following:

If you follow the link you will also find group pictures, as well as other interesting reading.

http://escrima.blogspot.com/

The Benefit For Sonny
2006 has been a year of historic proportions for gatherings of the clans here in Northern California. This weekend marked another milestone as students and friends of ailing escrima master Sonny Umpad came together for the first time in a group for a benefit seminar on his behalf.

There were over 70 participants filling Nash?s Northern Tiger Kempo in San Francisco, a tribute to the esteem in which Sonny is held within the martial arts community. People came from all corners of the Bay Area and from a wide range of different arts (FMA, Wing Chun, Kempo, Hwarang-do) in order to show their support for one of the most innovative martial art teachers of our generation.

Attendees were rewarded with a strong showing by more than half a dozen of Sonny?s senior instructors. Their demonstrations of his Visayan Corto Cadena system covered a range from empty hands to sikaran (kicking), sticks, knives, bolos and swords. It was as thorough an exposition of Filipino martial arts as one might ever see, reflecting Sonny?s versatility in integrating so many facets within FMA.

Detailed attention was paid to Sonny?s ?pendulum,? which uses dynamic Moro-based footwork to counter and evade. This is the basis for the sophisticated movement required for close quarter combat with the blade, representing a very high level of understanding timing and range.

Participants got a taste of some of these concepts in their workouts, and there were plenty of Sonny?s senior and advanced students to assist those who were more novice.

This was a warm and friendly crowd, all there to show support. Egos were checked at the door. I was particularly impressed with how the instructors got along, working together as a team and supporting each other. This too is a reflection of their maestro, for Sonny is a genuine and humble man who shares great talent freely with those around him.

If there was an off-note to the day, it was that Sonny himself was not feeling well enough to attend, spending the day at home with family and old friends, and his absence was the elephant in the room. In truth, this has been one of the hardest blogs for me to write. Most of the people there know and love Sonny, and all our prayers go towards his health.

Here are some of Sonny?s students who were there, listed simply by alphabetical order, not by seniority. My apologies to any whom I might have missed:
Chris Suboreau, Cisco Spano, Craig Merchant, Eric Momburg, George Yore, Gregory Manalo, Jason Santucci, Jay Pugao, Ken Ingram, Kevin and Felicia Baptiste, Maija Soderholm, Manny Piojo, Mike Braten, Phillip (Professor Pitt) Colas, Renato Alphonso, Steve Seto, Steve Van Manen.

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »
Awesome. I really look forward to this one. The first Grandfathers tape is one of my favorites.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »
Maestro Sonny has graciously had some of his students make footage available to us, including some very impressive knife footage.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 07:58:20 PM »
Hopefully these clips feed the "craving" and encourage people to investigate and buy the DVD.

I was just searching around www.youtube.com and found some clips from a huge event called the "Day of Play" some of the people looked familiar and then I realized where I seen them before..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjQIRgZHIjk

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »
Night Owl is moving this thing along quite quickly.? I've just watched his next pass on the edit.? Very nice, including a mini-segment with GM Tatang Ilustrisimo demoing on the stuntmen from "Cyborg 4".?

We wait on some additonal footage and then we will be done.

Current running time: 75 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:52:11 PM by Crafty_Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 03:56:28 PM »
A Sad Howl:

I am informed that Maestro Sonny Umpad passed away this morning.

The Wood is consumed, but the Fire burns on.
Crafty Dog
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 11:59:29 PM by Crafty_Dog »

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 06:17:53 PM »
OMG, man that really sucks.  My condolances to all the knew Sonny.  It seems that your DVD is being done just in time.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 06:20:53 PM by Robertlk808 »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 11:39:34 PM »

When we were done shooting, I kneeled at the edge of Maestro Sonny's bed and reassured him that we had gotten good footage-- which was the truth.  One of his students commented to me afterwords that when the shooting was over that he seemed quietly at ease.  I deeply would have loved for him to see the finished DVD, but at least he got to see a fairly polished rough edit which he relayed to us that he liked a lot.

peregrine

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 01:49:33 AM »

I am informed that Maestro Sonny Umpad passed away this morning.

The Wood is consumed, but the Fire burns on.
Crafty Dog

Respect.
rip Maestro.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 01:34:08 PM »

When we were done shooting, I kneeled at the edge of Maestro Sonny's bed and reassured him that we had gotten good footage-- which was the truth.? One of his students commented to me afterwords that when the shooting was over that he seemed quietly at ease.? I deeply would have loved for him to see the finished DVD, but at least he got to see a fairly polished rough edit which he relayed to us that he liked a lot.

I think this is going to be a rare gem, just like the 1st volume.  Other than books, I dont think Sonny released any instructional videos and I believe Sonny maintained a low profile so the only way for some to even be aware of Sonny was mainly through word of mouth. I know I will definitely be ordering this as well as the 1st Volume.

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 05:07:03 PM »
I am sorry to read about the passing of Master Sonny Umpad.   He was a soft-spoken expert in his field.  Although I have only met him once and watched his teaching methods, I've had more exposure to his material living through his students. 

With deep respect,

Gints
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 05:56:48 PM »
Got this from Jeff Finders Blog:

http://escrima.blogspot.com/

Arrangements for Sonny
Thanks to all who have expressed condolences at the passing of master Sonny Umpad.

As of yesterday afternoon arrangements for Sonny were not finalized. I will update this post as such information comes available.
posted by Stickman at 11:54 AM Comments | Trackback? ?

An Homage to Sonny Umpad
Here are some thoughts about Sonny now, while they?re still fresh, kind of like a signpost to mark where we are at his passing. In ten years, I hope we can look back and see how his influence has spread in the FMA community.

Yesterday I called Sonny a giant, though few actually met him. He was a very private man, and for years rarely took his art outside of his home, preferring to let those whom he trusted come to him. Thus his legacy will someday be better known through those who propagate his teachings rather than directly by his hand.

Some of those are folks who trained with Bruce and James Yimm Lee, such as Jesse Glover in Seattle and Gary Cagaanan in Oakland. Others are younger notables in the martial arts such as Kelly Worden in Tacoma and Alfred Plath in Germany. Most, however, are a new generation of martial artists just coming of age now, entering their prime years blessed with the deep knowledge of a master teacher.

Sonny was a bridge across generations in the arts. Growing up in the Philippines, he experienced first-hand the art in its native setting. He was a witness to history, crossing paths with some of the greats most of us only know from reading about them, but perhaps the greatest aspect of his legacy was his knowledge gained from the streets. Sonny knew more about what he called ?the dark side? of the arts than just about anyone I?ve known, but to his credit he lived a life in the light, focusing on laughter and the beauty in the art. Before he emerged in the martial community, he was, like Bruce Lee, a champion cha-cha dancer, and he brought those skills into the Corto Cadena style he created.

Sonny?s genius was that he took disparate elements of the Filipino arts and re-integrated them into a comprehensive whole. More than just that, however, he synthesized those elements to create something uniquely his. His earliest influences seemed to be Balintawok, which was prominent where he grew up in Cebu. Some of his early formal training was, if I recall correctly, with Bobby Taboada, and here in California he rubbed shoulders with legends like Angel Cabales and Cacoy Canete, whom he had watched from the sidelines as a young boy. He took something from each but wasn?t limited to merely imitating. He examined each element of his art critically, ensuring it had value towards his goal.

When I first met him back in 1986, through a seminar at Joe Olivarez? U.S. Karate in Hayward, Sonny was unveiling perhaps the first of his unique innovations, the centerline roll for double sticks, based on Wing Chun?s circular punching. Unlike most double stick, which is taught by learning numerous patterns and pairing them up, this was genius in its simplicity. By merely mastering this single technique, one could match up against any strike using either hand in a continuous barrage. Still, as easy as it looks and sounds, few could do it with the speed and precision Sonny applied to his art.

I spent perhaps the most time with Sonny in the early 1990?s, after Angel Cabales passed away. He and Angel met only infrequently but had a warm relationship, sharing roots in the same locales and slipping back into the old dialects of their youths. As the younger man, Sonny affectionately called Angel ?Doh,? uncle. Angel used to say many people stole his ideas, though many wouldn?t acknowledge it. Sonny was upfront, giving me his famous line that ?if you?re going to steal, do it from the best.? His affinity for Angel?s material is not surprising, given the Cebuano roots of both their arts.

Around this time Sonny was working on his sikaran, the low kicking art developed to work in conjunction with weapons, as opposed to the high flashy kicks common to many popular modern arts. Sonny would test his ideas out on me and I?d share my variations on these themes from my years in Kenpo. Even then, however, it was apparent that Sonny was working from a very different source; his inspiration came, again if memory serves, from the Moro style of master Telesporo Subing-Subing. With great natural flexibility and his dance-like fluidity, Sonny had an ability to come from unusual angles. It was in the sikaran that I began to see the functionality of his pendulum movement, which allowed him to strike while seemingly out of range.

It was this confluence of the Moro and Cebuano arts that marked the emergence of the next phase of Sonny?s body of work, and that was his knowledge of the blade. As with all other aspects of his work, this was something nurtured from careful analysis. The blade is enmeshed with Filipino culture, and so having been raised there, Sonny had insights that lent themselves to appreciation of edged weapons without the romanticism with which less experienced folk often hold them.

Sonny?s creative genius went beyond just movement, extending also to the artifacts he created in conjunction with his art. Anyone who ever visited him had to be impressed by the array of weaponry adorning the walls of his home, all crafted by his hand. From elaborately carved rattan sticks to beautifully designed traditional weapons in wood and metal, Sonny was a master artisan. He was also prolific, and eventually every bit of his home was filled with his work, making it a veritable museum of Filipino martial culture. In every corner one could find unusual devices, like his impenetrable armor vest for ?breaking in? students on the knife, the racks of fiberglass training fencing foils, or his swinging pendulum and various sparring targets.

This was a man who lived life fully. I?ve always had a hard time imagining how he fit so much into the moments of each day. I marvel at how it seemed that every visit to his home revealed a new facet of his personality, such as his passion for playing and writing music on the keyboard and recording it on his four-track. I was amazed by his rebuilt acoustic guitar with the tuning head moved into the body, which I?d never seen in 35 years as a player.

It is my everlasting regret that I didn?t spend more time with Sonny. Part of it was reluctance to take advantage of his generosity. There wasn?t a time I visited that he didn?t want to show me what he was working on. I realized that he shared much more with me than I could offer back, but when I suggested I start taking lessons as his student, he smiled and said we were contemporaries. In that he was overly generous, and in my embarassment I stopped coming by so often. Still, I found other ways to try to repay him, such as helping market his innovative padded training sticks or helping hook up prospective students.

Some of those are my betters in Serrada, such as masters Wade Williams and Carlito Bonjoc, and many others are faces and names I am only now starting to put together. It is through the imprint of Sonny?s movement and knowledge that I see his art living on, and hopefully through them I will finally take the time for more of those lessons I missed along the way. I?m sure I?m not alone in this, for there were so many facets and phases along the arc of Sonny?s career that many of us only got what was currently his passion, and so it is important that we share.

Those who came later were fortunate to reap the benefit of all that had gone on before. Sonny wasn?t merely a caretaker but a builder, and those who absorbed even a part of his spirit have come away with something uniquely different. His is not a cookie cutter style of stick fighting, but something that transformed people to the core of their being, and just as Sonny was a generous soul, so I see this shining from the faces of those who were attracted to him.

We are fortunate that Sonny left such a huge legacy in the form of his recordings. There was always videotape rolling, whether recording students? lessons or playing them back on the tv. Sonny was someone with great affinity for modern technology and he used it more than anyone else I know. Perhaps someday some of his vast library of recordings can be made available for study. It is an invaluable resource, and one that should be both preserved and shared for posterity.

In the meantime, the art is a living thing, passed from hand to hand, and so it is up to this next generation to move forward in their own personal development and as teachers. What I see in them is kindred to Sonny, a humbleness of spirit combined with skill, intelligence and determination.

I recall the words of Gilbert Tenio following the funeral for his old contemporary Angel Cabales, that the art was not meant to compete with each other, but to ensure mutual survival. It is a bond of brotherhood, and the words of this manong were meant to guide us to appreciate what we share in common. The love we have for our teachers, and above that our passion for what we do, is something greater than differences of opinion or ego. This is something Sonny understood, and he always saw the best in people. As long as this principle is at the forefront, the art will flourish and be strong, keeping the chain alive.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 06:05:08 PM by Robertlk808 »

lonelydog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dogbrothers.ch
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 12:40:40 AM »
I am sorry to read about the passing of Master Sonny Umpad. I was glad to meet him at the last FMA festival in Germany. I was very impressed.

I'm looking forward to see Grandfathers Speak Vol. 2. To know this extraordinary man a bit more.   

With deep respect,

Benjamin "Lonely Dog"

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »

The following information is now online at:
http://escrima.blogspot.com/2006/08/arrangements-for-sonny.html

*                    *                    *                    *                    *

Here are the arrangements for Sonny's memorial service, as per the the wishes of
Jackie and Brian:

Friday, September 1, 2006. Services will begin at 7:00 pm.
Wedgewood Banquet Center at Metropolitan Golf Links
10051 Doolittle Drive
Oakland, CA 94603
(510) 569-5556

An obituary will also be posted in the S.F. Chronicle.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 07:34:08 PM »

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 07:51:24 PM »
Any chance we catch a glimpse of Maestro Sonny's self-made weapons in the upcoming DVD?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 09:52:10 PM »
Woof Robert:

Yes.

The great majority of the footage was shot in his living room, which was where he taught.  All of his walls are completely covered with interesting things.

The Adventure continues,
CD

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 10:57:31 PM »
Excellent! I cant wait.

Night Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 12:26:02 PM »
Woof,

The Grandfathers Speak Volume 2 Documentary is pretty much complete. I just finished editing what I think is the final pass. All we need now is approval from Marc.

Grandfathers Speak Volume 2 is about an hour long with solid footage, interviews, and conversations about an incredibly gifted and inspiring Eskrimador.
Marc and I chatted about how charged the visit to Sonny's home made us feel. I hope this project inspires you, the same way Sonny has inspired us.

Thank You Marc for making this project happen.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 04:16:59 PM »
 :mrgreen: Cooolness!  :mrgreen:

On a serious note thanks to both of you guys for the effort in producing \ capturing another volume of history.

Atropos

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 03:15:29 AM »
Has it been decided when this video will be released? I?m happy to hear that it was shot in Sonny?s living room. Just being in the room with all those homemade weapons on the walls was a special treat?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 03:28:54 PM »
Sit Rep:

I've run the fine edit by George Yore and he showed it to several people from the Umpad tribe.  They are very pleased.  There are a couple of minor adjustments to be made and Pretty Kitty needs to do the box cover.

CD

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 04:40:23 AM »
Thank you for signing the Guest Book for Sonny Umpad. The Guest Book will remain online for another 5 days. After Sep 30, 2006, it no longer will be available for reading and adding entries.

Family and friends take comfort from Guest Books and value them as a lasting way to honor loved ones. A permanent Guest Book allows visitors to continue to add entries on anniversaries, holidays, and other occasions. To learn how to keep this Guest Book online permanently, click on the link below or cut and paste it into your browser address bar.

http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?ID=GO19060673

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 11:06:11 PM »
The final edit has been approved.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2006, 04:48:44 PM »
Excellent!

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 05:31:11 PM »
Sorry, dont mean to be a pain but I was just curious if there is an ETA on the release date.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 10:43:05 PM »
We doing some quibbling about the text for the back of the box.  My time has been taken up by negotiations with Spike and by my wife having a serious chest infection which necessitates my contributing more time than usual with our children.  At the moment I am in Albuquerque, NM for a seminar (awesome day today on the Navajo Reservation with my host who is Navajo).  In short, I look to get to this this coming week.  Then, once the box cover is finished we send the master and the box cover work-up to the duplication house.

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 03:20:42 AM »
At the moment I am in Albuquerque, NM for a seminar (awesome day today on the Navajo Reservation with my host who is Navajo). 

Wow, that leads to an interesting question as to whether or not you were exposed to any Native American Martial Techiniques...

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer.  I hope your wife gets well soon.

~Robert

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 04:08:15 PM »
A fairly polished edit of the opening sequence can be found at

www.youtube.com

login: Grandfathers2
password: contain

click on "My videos"
Click on "Grandfathers2 Opening"

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 05:20:05 PM »
Freakin sweet!? :mrgreen:

OK just finished watching it, I like the feel of it, kinda dark and the street footage with the Beatles song.. created an interesting vibe.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:30:29 PM by Robertlk808 »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2006, 06:17:47 PM »
The Beatles song was because Maestro Sonny liked the Beatles.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:31:31 PM by Crafty_Dog »

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 10:10:08 PM »
I thought it fit and actually now im in the mood for The Beatles.
Im really looking forward to the video.

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2006, 04:06:28 AM »
one of my favorite beattles cuts! this is going 2 B a great dvd! i cant wait!!!!!! :evil:

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »
Woof All:

Here's a rough cut of Promo Clip for Grandfathers Two:

www.youtube.com
login: Grandfathers2
password: contain
Click on "my videos" etc

TAC,
CD
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:27:40 PM by Crafty_Dog »

mronkain

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2006, 04:49:41 AM »
Looks great! I was afraid this was going to be just interviews... Don't get me wrong, that would've been OK as well, but it's way better with some action included as well, as there's so little footage of Sonny Umpad publicly available.

What Beatles song are you guys talking about? Or was it in the earlier clip? It's not there anymore... :(

Please put the clip on the main page as well, YouTube is not that great if you're not online, downloading the clips works much better for me.

- Marko
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:03:32 AM by mronkain »
Maniwalla kami sa tagumpay, hindi sa bigo
Maniwalla kami sa  kalusugan, hindi sa sakit
Maniwalla kami sa buhay, hindi sa kamatayan

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
here come oooold flat top/ he come groooooving up slowly....

mronkain

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »
here come oooold flat top/ he come groooooving up slowly....

Is it the one at the end (starting at about 2:40) of this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZC4mW-4TzM

The one at the beginning is Oye como va by Carlos Santana..

Groovy tunes for a groovy guy!

- Marko
Maniwalla kami sa tagumpay, hindi sa bigo
Maniwalla kami sa  kalusugan, hindi sa sakit
Maniwalla kami sa buhay, hindi sa kamatayan

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
Excellent job on the trailer for Grandfathers2.  The tension imparted by the videoclip was perfect.  I am eager to add this DVD to my collection. 

Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006, 06:02:21 AM »
I finally caught the clip. I'm really looking forward to it. Gints is right on about the tension.

ponytotts

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2006, 07:27:33 AM »
mronkain,
i looked again and i dont hear the beattles cut anymore. i guess it was different edit.