DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Knife for Self Defense

(1/14) > >>

David:
I've just written a post on my blog regarding the use of a knife for self defense in response to a thread on FMATalk, and my preference for blunt weapons instead.  Since you guys are very realistic minded I'd like to get your perspective.  Rather than re-write the reasons, the post is here: Knife for Self Defense

My preference, as mentioned, is an expandable baton.  Do any of you carry unconventional self defense weapons that can function as a stick where expandable batons are illegal?  I've noticed the self defense umbrella on the DB site.  Have any of you practiced with that?  I'm pretty sure carrying a knife or an expandable baton is illegal in CA.

David

Maxx:
David,
 You live in Ca? I live in CA and carrying a knife in CA is not illegal in CA but carrying a expandable baton is.

For a first line of defence I use my hands and claws, Second line is running my ass off and the third is a Emerson Karambit and that's only if the other person has a weapon or is going to kill me...

David:
Max,

No, I don't live in CA.  I'm from New Orleans but am a bit of nomad recently. 

So what kind of weapon would you use your karambit against?  My feeling is that vs. a gun at close range it would be better to have both hands free.  This may sound crazy, but even against a knife I generally prefer empty hands over knife.  I've trained a good bit of Pekiti, but I feel that in knife vs. knife you lose the total control you have with empty hand vs. knife.  Sure, you can do more damage with a knife, but you may sustain as much yourself.  And, vs. a stick...a knife will only help once I'm in...and at that point I don't need one. 

I can see that you/I/anyone could finish the job quicker in knife vs. knife compared to knife vs. empty hand.  If honestly faced with a knife wielding attacker I may actually like to have a knife.  BUT, it would be close.  I don't want to go anything against knife of course.  Am I making any sense here?

Edited: I just noticed the thread on the Tokyo knife attack but didn't see it discussed anywhere else.  Regarding Crafty's statement about the lack of armed resistance...I would change "armed" to "prepared".  You don't need to be armed to stop someone like this.  Going along with my original point in this discussion, would it be easier to grab the "Tokyo knifer's" face from behind and quickly break his neck, or slash his throat.  Again, my feeling is that if you can get behind him you can kill him faster by simply breaking his neck.  If you approach him from the front...without full control of his weapon arm (maybe a two-on-one via the Dog Catcher)...my feeling is that you may take some cuts while delivering your own. 

David

michael:
There are some undeniable advantages of an expandable baton/stick over a blade, namely one of distance. It will all come down to the skill levels of the opponents and if the knifer can close to lethal range without getting beat into submission. With a skilled knife guy like Tom Sotis of AMOK or others who train extensively in the blade, unarmed technques stand almost no chance of working. I say almost because nothing is 100%, but with a high skill level in the blade, unarmed options are almost certainly doomed to failue. I would say to test this out in FOF and see for yourself, but that is what I have found. A skilled knifer is a very scary thing, and up close has the advantage even over the gun. I carry all three, but we must know the limitations and advantages of each.

maija:
David, you said: 'This may sound crazy, but even against a knife I generally prefer empty hands over knife'.
.....You are indeed crazy :-o.
For me, confronted with a knife, running away - excellent, own knife - good, a longer knife - better, 2 weapons - wonderful, any longer weapon, impact or otherwise - great, but give me a chair or a handful of rocks or something rather than CHOOSE to be empty handed against a blade.
Question: Why do you need your hands to be empty?
May I also recommend the "Karambit vs Straight Blades" thread: http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=1619.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version