DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Knife for Self Defense

<< < (7/14) > >>

G M:
Depending on where you live, knives may be your only option, but from the criminal/civil perspective they are far from optimal.

The typical prosecutor and likely juror pool tend to have a bias against knives. Look at tv/movies, unless it's a medival/fantasy movie, the bad guys are the ones that use blades. John Wayne and Dirty Harry shoot and punch the bad guys, not much use of blades.

Ideally, cutting down a bad guy/s is the same as shooting them in legitimate self defense, but in reality, appearances can make all the difference.

Just like in some jurisdictions, a scary looking "assault rifle"may be legal, but will get you indicted while the identical shooting with a blued gun with engraving and polished wood stocks would pass without indictment.

Do I carry knives? Yes. Might I use them for defensive purposes? Yes. Do I use them to open boxes, or potentially cut seatbelts to free an accident victim or other uses? Yes.

Do NOT have any artwork or engraving, clothing or tats that suggests you are looking forward to using the knife as a weapon.

Have other items for lesser levels of force. I'm a big fan of O.C. spray. High intensity "tactical" flashlights are very useful. Putting 150+ lumens into the eyes of potential assailants can end the problem before it even starts.

Your first option is to avoid trouble. If that fails, break contact and evade/un-ass the area in a flash of bright light and/or cloud of O.C.

Only in the same circumstances that you'd shoot someone should you use other items/techniques that have a high degree of causing serious bodily injury and/or death.

Maxx:
I would like to share this with everyone here..This may or may not be the place to post about this but the topic is knives and knives lead to getting stabbed or slashed..

I am recovering right now from a fight I got into last wensday. I posted about this on the PSDTC forums and I will post about it here\

The fight was with some dick and that's the name we will give him.

This guy was bullying everyone at the club I was at, Pushing smaller guys, Pushing girls and just in General being a man bitch.

So I was standing next to him and not by choice and he started staring at me with the drunk gaze..I looked over and him and smiled..He said "What"? I was like oh boy here we go...I said Hi back..He said What the fuck did you say bitch..And again I thought..Here we friggen go..I know this routine..I then responded with nevermind..I mistaked you for the wrong person..

Well in his drunk stooper he jumped up and was like fuck you bitch..And pushed me rather hard into the wall..So I decked him in the face and somehow managed to throw him into the DJ speaker..It was unforturn that I just used all back muscle because I pulled my muscle in my back..

We began the man dance of throwing punches..I tried to take him down and I succeed not because of skill but more just aggression and the fact I think he tripped over Speaker Cables.

I noticed I was really starting to hammer him on the ground ( YAY FOR GROUND FIGHTING TRAINING) But I noitced that again skill was not keeping him down but the fact I was stronger and just shoving him back into the ground..I moved in position to finish him off not kill and I was pulled off by the crowd..

I was standing in the side and I now had a Swollen eye, Ripped T shirt, Knuckels were scuff and my friend says..You are bleeding here..Guess what? I didnt even notice that the guy had stabbed me 4 times in my leg when I was preparring to BJJ him..The guards found the item he was stabbing me with..He was stabbing me in the leg with a ball point pen while I was grappling and I didnt even notice it..After I noticed it, it hurt like a bitch.

I thought I would share this for not only will people use knifes in self defence but any object...

Now I am done healing from my wounds..My Back and 4 holes in my leg...

maija:
Yikes Maxx ...nasty story. Glad you are OK.
I think I posted a while back ... maybe .... of a similar thing that happened to a friend of some contractors I was working with. As they told it, it went to the ground with their friend on top, but dude on the pavement reached inside his jacket or something, pulled a blade, and stabbed him. Just like you, the guy never felt it till after.

Maxx:
@ Maijav - I am fine just still healing. Was able to start lifting weights again last night and today I am back in the gym..Still letting the leg heal from the holes...Keeping them clean and what not.

G M:
Maxx,

You should have called the police to deal with the "Dick". Lucky you are still alive, and recovering.

This is why my advise is: Your first option is to avoid trouble. If that fails, break contact and evade/un-ass the area in a flash of bright light and/or cloud of O.C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version