DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Knife for Self Defense

<< < (14/14)

G M:
"You might not be impressed with my punch to your jaw, but I assure you that you will be "impressed" if I use blunt force metal kubaton to your jaw or side of your head.  Strikes with a metal kubaton to joints, bones, etc. can be quite effective."

Then it's an impact weapon, and in a legal sense the same as using a pipe, piece of rebar, padlock in a sock or rock to hit someone with. If your intent is to use these strikes on some hulking veteran of San Quentin after he decides to play with you, be sure to attach a packet of KY jelly to the Kubotan's key ring.

JDN:
 :-D
All thing are relative.  My odds, albeit slim, are better with an impact weapon than no weapon at all.  However, if confronted with "the hulking veteran of San Quentin", I'll probably open the knife and take my chances with the Police/DA.  Obviously, I feared for my life!   :-)

If the kubaton ends up in me  :-D or merely his fist ends up in me doesn't make a whole lot of difference.  Either way I'm not happy.   :-o

But in summary, I take you are are saying that a folding knife, unopened, would be considered an "impact weapon" and therefore not necessarily a "lethal weapon" as would be a fixed blade or folding knife with the blade out.

G M:
"But in summary, I take you are are saying that a folding knife, unopened, would be considered an "impact weapon" and therefore not necessarily a "lethal weapon" as would be a fixed blade or folding knife with the blade out."

Depends on the relevant state statutes. An Oscar awards statutette or a golf club wasn't designed to be a weapon, but if one used it as a weapon, one could face the same charges as using bo stick purchased from a martial arts store. If I had to choose, I'd take a 9 iron over the Bo anyway. Generally, something used as a deadly weapon is considered by the law as a deadly weapon even if it wasn't designed to be one. Often, using any kind of weapon makes what would be a misd. assault charge into a felony assault charge. Again, consult your local laws and qualified legal advisors.

One can claim self defense, and given a disparity in the size and strength of your opponent, the reasonable use of a weapon. Of course, that ends up being the discretion of the investigating officer, the DA's office and perhaps a jury. Some states require that you make a good faith attempt to leave before defending one's self, others allow for "standing your ground" in public places

I few things I have seen firsthand related to "pain compliance":

1. I saw an inmate in a maximum security facility attempt to climb out the yard through rolls of razor wire, wearing only a t-shirt and scrubs. He came back only wearing his pants as the rags of what was his shirt was bloody tatters in the wire. He was cut everywhere and bleeding like something out of a Clive Barker horror film. To my relief, we were able to talk him into cuffing up for medical treatment. He was in a rage for what he felt was the injust treatment he got from the criminal justice system, but never indicated the slightest evidence of pain.

2. I dealt with an agitated inmate in the same facility who was prone to sudden violent outbursts. He had one eye that was criscrossed with scar tissue. I had never before seen an eye that had been damaged like that. I found out that years before, this individual became angry at a write-up and while standing in front of staff, jammed his index finger into his own eye so violently, it had ruptured they eyeball. I was very careful in dealing with him, given that if he could do that to himself.....

3. I responded to a call where a female subject had taken a "golf pencil" and jammed it through a section of her arm. Only the extreme ends were visible. It had gone through skin, subcutanious fat and muscle. She never demonstrated the slightest bit of pain, even when the Dr. removed it w/out any treatment for pain.

These are just a few of the examples I could cite that I've seen with my own eyes. I've gone hands on with many people of this ilk. They function in ways that normal humans don't, so don't expect that things that would work on you would work on them. Some of them are like f'ing terminators without computer chips.

Crafty_Dog:
A lot of wisdom to be gleaned there.

Disclaimer: the following is of financial benefit to me  :lol:

Some additional thoughts:

1) KNOW THE LAW OF WHERE YOU LIVE!  Your legal environment matters!
http://dogbrothers.com/store/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=e8899c1bdfff2d78979da3d4f5661fe7

2) All three volumes of our Die Less Often series.

TAC!
Guro Crafty

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version