DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Crime and Punishment

<< < (2/37) > >>

bigdog:
I guess this goes here.

http://www.kmov.com/news/mobile/Secrets-of-woman-with-5-dead-husbands-die-with-her-123798659.html

G M:

--- Quote from: bigdog on June 14, 2011, 12:20:55 PM ---I guess this goes here.

http://www.kmov.com/news/mobile/Secrets-of-woman-with-5-dead-husbands-die-with-her-123798659.html

--- End quote ---

Interesting. Potentially what is known as a "Black widow" typology here.

DougMacG:
Sad to see that by creating carnage this sick jerk gets his views publicized. 

Opinion polls have showed that only about 1 in 4 Norwegians supported the death penalty prior to this incident. http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article3881217.ece.  The last execution in peacetime was carried out in 1876.

Makes sense (?), in no situation should killing be the answer...

People hate the abortion analogy but that's where the legal killings are.  There is widespread acceptance of killing 14,000 unborn Norwegians per year in the public 'health' system.  In these 14k/yr situations, killing is the answer.  (But not for an unprecedented mass murderer?)

Doing without the unwanted is good for the resources of the earth (?) (citation needed)

But for the most heinous of the heinous, a capital ending is immoral?  We (as a society) will house and feed and give him humane treatment, free health care, keep him comfortable and with full legal protections for life, while publicizing his filthy manifestos. 

I'm not Norwegian but the issues are the same everywhere.  Mark me down as disagreeing.  Protect the innocent, punish the guilty and provide a certain,  lethal ending for those who commit the very most heinous of crimes against society.  His prosecution is based on only the evidence and facts of the killings.  His other views are of no public interest IMO unless it is part of a larger movement that needs to be stopped.  There is no logical link between opposing the Muslim migration and killing innocent Norwegian children and citizens.

bigdog:
http://247wallst.com/2012/04/26/americas-most-and-least-peaceful-states/

The United States is more peaceful now than at any time in the past 20 years. Nevertheless, violence still cost the economy at least $460 billion in 2010, through a combination of lost productivity and direct costs, according to a new report published by the Institute for Economics and Peace. 24/7 Wall St. analyzed the report in order to identify the most and least peaceful states, as well as how much they spend on violence.

Crafty_Dog:
As my nickname for the NY Times, "Pravda on the Hudson" suggests, often I hold it in low regard.  That said, this piece gets right the central point, one which I have made for many years now.  It is profoundly wrong morally, and profoundly counterproductive to have prisons where rape is part of the dynamic.

Unsafe Behind Bars
May 28, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/opinion/unsafe-behind-bars.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120529

After a three-year delay, the Justice Department has finally issued mandatory rape prevention policies for federal prisons and state correctional institutions that receive federal dollars. The new rules, which were given the force of an executive order, are a clear improvement over a draft version. If monitored and enforced, they could help curb the assaults that are shamefully endemic to the corrections system.

The new rules coincide with the release of a frightening study from the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, which found that nearly 10 percent of former state prisoners said they had been sexually victimized during their most recent confinement. That is more than double the percentage found in a previous Bureau of Justice Statistics study released in 2010.

The rules say that all facilities must adopt zero-tolerance policies. And they include detailed requirements for prisons to investigate and report all allegations of sexual attack and improve medical and mental health care for victims. They also require that each correctional facility’s rape prevention programs be reviewed once every three years by outside auditors certified by the Justice Department. And the rules bar correctional agencies from imposing a deadline for inmates to report an allegation. Victims are typically traumatized by an attack and may take days or even months to gather the courage to speak out.

Unfortunately, the rules only discourage — but do not bar — the placement of youths in adult facilities, where they are at far greater risk of being sexually assaulted. Congress should end this practice once and for all. Until that happens, the new rules will better protect young people by requiring that they be housed separately from adults, prohibiting contact with adults in common areas and limiting the use of solitary confinement for young people, who are more vulnerable to suicide when left alone.

A state whose governor does not fully comply with the rules could lose 5 percent of any Department of Justice grant funds for prisons. If humanity is not enough to get prison systems to change their policies, maybe that penalty will work. Rape must not be part of a prison sentence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version