DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Has anyone ever seen a real Kali fight?

<< < (2/19) > >>

guest:
The only Cali I know in the Philippines is the soft-drink.  If you put a stick through the can, then it becomes a Cali stick.

Hot Dogger:

--- Quote from: Robin Padilla ---Whoops! Sorry. When I said a Kali fight, I meant a real fight where the participants know how to use or understand Kali, Eskrima or Arnis. Basically FMA be it stick, knife or empty hand.

I remember reading a story about how during a prison riot, a prison guard trained in Kali basically utilized nothing more than a roof block followed with some kind of strike to all the inmates who attacked him.

guest... I dont understand what you mean when you say Eskrima and Arnis sticks are not Kali sticks though. I thought the weapon was just an extension of the hand and even if you have a rolled up newspaper, it is still co
nsidered Kali???
--- End quote ---

What Mr. Guest is trying to say is that how can there be such things as kali sticks when a thing like Kali does not exist.

That's why he said Eskrima-Arnis sticks are different.

and the only Cali is the Shandy drink that they have in the Philippines.

did I translate it right mr. guest?

Anonymous:
Oh. The 'there is no such thing as Kali' topic. LOL

Now, I was never sure if people are saying there was no pre Spanish art or if it simply wasn't called Kali.

Well, who knows what it was called before the arrival of the Spaniards. But it's very funny to see people debate and argue over it.

What do you think the Moros call it? Silat? Kali? Jihad? Definitely not Eskrima or Arnis...But then again "Moro" isn't even an indigineous word. They were named by the Spanish after the Moors who had conquered Spain. So maybe there is no such thing as a Moro.

Robin Padilla:
I made that last post by the way. Sorry but I forget to log in. hehe[/img][/code]

hot dogger:

--- Quote from: Anonymous ---Oh. The 'there is no such thing as Kali' topic. LOL

Now, I was never sure if people are saying there was no pre Spanish art or if it simply wasn't called Kali.

Well, who knows what it was called before the arrival of the Spaniards. But it's very funny to see people debate and argue over it.

What do you think the Moros call it? Silat? Kali? Jihad? Definitely not Eskrima or Arnis...But then again "Moro" isn't even an indigineous word. They were named by the Spanish after the Moors who had conquered Spain. So maybe there is no such thing as a Moro.
--- End quote ---

well... there was no Philippines...nor Filipinos before the Spaniards came...that's why the "country" was conquered because most tribes/towns/balanghays were fighting for their own safety... all 7,107 islands (and plus perhaps Sabah which was handed to Malaysia by the British instead to the rightful owner, the Sultan of Sulu, who leased the land to the British... and also the Spratley islands and Scarborough shoal that are now partly occupied by China)

...it was only during Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo's time that there was more unity amongs different regions to fight the Spanish...and they eventually became "successful"...

...hence, we "gained" our independence from the Spanish after 300 years... only to be duped by the American Commodore Dewey later  by promising that they were going to help the Filipinos against the Spaniards...instead, the Philippines had a short-lived "independence" in 1898 from the Spanish and got occupied by the Americans who were supposed to help Gen. Aguinaldo...  

...and about the Moros...who knows?... the nearest reference to the word kali is pagkakalikali, which is a word from the Northern Philippines... Moros are from the South...I asked a friend from down south and he told me that the only martial art that their "tribe" knows is Kuntao, and they even refer to it as being "Chinese"...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version