DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Criminal Justice system

(1/11) > >>

Crafty_Dog:
Woof All:

We have a threads for Self-defense law, LEO issues, and Corrections/Prison issues, but I am thinking that we may have need of a thread dedicated to the unique issues pertaining to our criminal justice legal system.

Crafty Dog

Shdwdncr:
Is your intent to discuss case law as it pertains to the criminal justice legal system?

S.

Crafty_Dog:
It might be (but note we already do have a Self Defense Law thread)

Actually I opened this thread today because it seemed like GM, who posts often over on the P&R thread and sometimes on this forum and our SCH forum as well, had something that needed its own thread.  I put it here in Martial Arts with the idea that as those dedicated to being Protectors, we should have a place to further our understanding of how our legal system works.

For example, GM's idea (maybe he will make it tomorrow) concerned how our criminal justice system is increasingly adversely affected by the bursting of the Government Finance bubble.  All the legal theory is the world is all nice and good, but we also need to know what happens when there isn't enough money for the DA to take on all deserving matters.

As is always the case, the concept of the thread will be fairly elastic  :wink:

G M:
I can say that I'm seeing cracks developing in the system due to budget cuts. It's not just the law enforcement agencies that are underfunded/understaffed, it's DA's offices and the courts. Police can make lots of arrests, but without the DA to prosecute and courts to hold the trials, then the wheels really start coming off.

G M:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/03/22/20090322courtbudget0322.html

Budget cuts pinch court functions
From file access to speed of trials, impacts are big
by Michael Kiefer - Mar. 22, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Like most government agencies, state and county courts are facing massive budget cuts.

The impact will be great, affecting everything from how the public accesses information to the speed of civil trials.

Earlier this year, the Arizona Legislature cut $11 million from the state court and probation budgets for the remainder of this fiscal year, which ends June 30. Cuts to the 2010 budget may be more severe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version