DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Explaining all this to civilians

<< < (2/2)

SB_Mig:
I have always been fairly open about not only by training, but my enthusiasm for the arts. The general public is kind of weird (like we're not :wink: ) in that 90%  love to watch kung-fu movies, are crazy about wrestling, and love to see a good knockout every once in a while. But only about 5% of these people are interested in learning what the story is behind all of the "violence". They dig watching, but they get confused or freaked out when you say that it is something you train to do. After all, "normal" people don't actually do this stuff...do they?  :D

My wife, for example, has always (even in the dating days) known about my training and supported my studies. But she has only had a couple of chances to see the training in person. Fortunately for me, her reaction went from "Who are these maniacs?" to "Whoa, that's really cool". At the most recent Gathering, she came away not only impressed by the fighting, but more importantly by the sense of brotherhood that accompanied it. To quote her, "I love the fact that two guys can go at it and not come away posturing or posing for the crowd." A testament not only to the respect the participants have for each other, but to the spirit of competition and the arts.

I think that if more people were exposed to the non-physical (i.e. spiritual, technical, theoretical) side of the arts, they would realize that there is far more to them than fists, sticks, and submission holds. If the moniker of "martial artists" is one which people wish to use, they must be willing to embrace and share the artistic part of the equation with others. By doing this, we would not only open more eyes to what is really out there, but open more minds!

Just my two cents...

lynda:
I take it you haven't encountered many bruce lee soundboxes.

True story, and not atypical reaction: was on a date with a guy who thought it was 'cute' that I did MAs, and said, 'So you do stuff like this! *makes bruce lee noises*'

Spread the joy, Mig!  I just don't think I have the right karma.

carlo:
Maybe it's the way I look but most people assume I know something without me ever mentioning MA and are genuinely interested in understanding what I do when the subject of martial arts pops up.  I am always patient in explaining and they are often very polite and if they are ignorant, they try not to show it by making bruce lee noises.  Maybe if I weren't a scary looking gorilla and looked more like Lynda I would attract more jerks.

As for women.  I have a tendency to attract women who are into martial arts or even find it downright sexy.  My lovely wife is often my training partner.  So again no problem there.

In fact I only get "YOUR CRAZY" looks from other martial artists when I tell them about the dog brothers.

BTW I know I told you before, but great work at the Gathering Lynda.

-C

lynda:
um, different lynda here...couldn't make it down unfortunately.

carlo:
my apologies.

-C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version