Author Topic: where to start.....  (Read 4436 times)

JAYCE

• View Profile
where to start.....
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:26:37 PM »
Which video would be the best to start with as to get the basic technique and fundamentals learned for stick fighting. I ordered the Krabi Krabong video but now I feel that may be a little advanced for just starting out. Any suggestions???

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: where to start.....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 08:49:30 PM »
I agree with you that the KK material is getting into the advanced material however, I have personally see some people be able to pick it right up.  I really think that depends on previous experience, attributes, etc.  I am sure most people will suggest the first two DVD's of the first series which are "Power" & "Footwork" with Top Dog.  I personally started with these when I first started studying DBMA and they gave me a whole new look at stickfighting along with making me feel more functional with my stickfighting.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: where to start.....
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:38:40 AM »
I think for most people you can't go wrong with our first series, "Real Contact Stickfighting".  RCS is mostly focused on solo training and is mostly presented in a format of breaking down a particular strike, footwork pattern, stick combination, etc and then practicing along with Top Dog.  The instructional material is interspersed with fights ("If you see it taught, you see if fought.") and interviews.

Lonely Dog's "Power" DVD" is outstanding for all levels.

The KK material is particularly accessible for people with a background in Muay Thai.  Some beginners without a MT background find it not too hard to pick up, and some don't. 

For getting started in two-man training I would suggest "Combining Stick & Footwork" featuring, , , ahem , , , me.  After this try the KK DVD again and you may find that you are ready.