Author Topic: Greetings and a question  (Read 6086 times)

Emmett

• View Profile
Greetings and a question
« on: May 22, 2007, 12:26:05 PM »
Hello all,

I hope my first post isn't a newbie question (I searched on the topic and came up blank).  I would like to start training my oldest child (6 year old daughter) and need advice on cutting down one of my sticks.  Is rattan a difficult material to cut?  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it properly?  Or, perhaps someone has a source for shorter sticks; something in the 24" and under lengths?  Or any other suggestions as I may be going about this in the wrong way.

Thanks for any info you can provide.  And thanks for the great forum.  I have learned a lot as a lurker on this site, hopefully I will be able to contribute to it as well.

Take care,
Emmett

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings and a question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »
Emmett,

Good question  :-)  Any type of saw will do, just make sure you secure the stick properly before cutting it.  I use a miter saw to cut my sticks.  It allows me to clamp it down securely first.  Another option is to let your six year old use normal size sticks.   8-)  I teach Youth Martial Arts and this is what we do.  At first the length can be a little awkward but I have found that they tend to adapt quickly to the length.  Food for thought!

Woof!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Emmett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:34:56 AM »
Thanks for the info Gruhn!  I will give the miter saw a go this weekend.

As far as using regular sized sticks, I have a 28" that she likes to swing.  Perhaps, if my carpentry skill proves subpar 8-), I will make that her primary.

Thanks again for the information.

Take care,
Emmett

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:16:40 PM »
Simply cut rattan stick's to desired length and file/sand edges smooth so it is free of bur's and splinters .                     P.S.  I too just began training my 5 yr old daughter.
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Emmett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 04:51:29 PM »
Thanks Tom

How is your 5yr old taking to the stick?  My daughter loves it, though not as much as boxing.  I've been training her and my son in boxing\striking for the past 6 months.  Lots of fun!

Take care,
Emmett

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »
Woof Emmet, I am teaching my daughter karate, stick and nunchaku (single and double)   She also loves to sing and play the guitar. If they stick with it, just think of the potential!    TS
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama