Author Topic: Can someone direct me to "How To Join"  (Read 10515 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Can someone direct me to "How To Join"
« on: July 01, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »
I once again can't seem to find this topic but how do you go about joining the Dog Brothers?

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone direct me to "How To Join"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:13:13 AM »
Ok. I found out how to do it. You have to fight at a gathering.  What kind of Rattan sticks do you need to show up with, because I know where I am at there are some rattan sticks that are harder and a tad bit more heavy that could seriously break a bone.

In other words. What equipment list do I need to buy..and what are the rules.

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »
http://dogbrothers.com/wrapper.php?file=faq.htm

Most of your questions are answered there.

As for the size of the stick...whatever your opponent is willing to fight against. The rules, be friends at the end of the day, leave with the same IQ you came with.

Sheep Dog
Train Hard, Live Well
-Never Mistake Patience and Tolerance for Weakness-

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »
Thanks for your help.

Are we allowed to use the Arm Guard and hand guard that are offered here on the site to buy and knee pads?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:30:50 PM »
NO!!!  :-D

Fencing mask.
Street hockey gloves or less
cup recommended
Elbow and kn fee pads recommended, but may not have hard bubbles (e.g. not of the skateboarding type) Wrestling type are ideal.

That's it.

Guro C.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 09:21:47 AM »
Ok. The reason I asked about the size of the stick is cause I have pretty thick fire hard rattan ones that are almost as hard as my Komegong ones..And I think they would break a bone and I don't want to break anyones bones. I have thinner ones that will sting and hurt but not break.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
Woof Maxx, We all pretty much use fire hardend rattan......Nice of you to care about not breaking bones though :-D!
Remember the rule......"onley you are responsible for you"
I would suggest you watch a gathering before entering one....
                                                                                Dog Tom/SB
Howling Dog

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »
question on the fencing Helmet..Does it actually protect your head from the blow and does anyone have a good link to a site that sells fencing helmets?

does this work?

http://shop.fencing.net/Leon_Paul_Contour_Fit_Mask_p/lp-f100c.htm

or these

http://shop.fencing.net/category_s/127.htm

Those are Saber mask and are made alittle tougher..Sorry for the questions just looking to get something right.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 03:58:41 PM by Maxx »

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 04:27:23 PM »
Woof Maxx, What do you normaly wear? Did you ever find a school or place to train at yet? I heard you mention something about training at Surf Dogs school....He can surely help you get set up with the things you need!
He's an orginal Dog Brother.
I was just wondering becasue you mentioned slamming people and going crazy and all that and that you had really hard bone breaking rattan ......then you talked about over training and needing time off......So I was just curious about where you were training at and what equipment you were already using.

I have a good mask I bought from BLOODSPORT.COM Its Pappydogs business Notice hes a dogbrother :wink:
I also bought a second mask from fencing net for my guys to wear that don't yet have one........UH....Its been broken already and welded back together.....my bet......go with pappys stuff :roll:
Anyway......
Hope that helps.
                                                                      Dog SB/Tom
Howling Dog

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 04:54:32 PM »
Hey!

Ya man, I have been training for awhile now. I wanted to train at Lester's Martial Arts but the drive was really to far and I would not be able to make it. I train at Sifu/Guru Bud Thompsons Kali studio and Alot of Kali/Silat and Grappling with Sifu/Guru John Lopez..We have been getting into the full contact thing..So ya, I have been super over training..I am trying to recover from some serious brusing all over my body and my right hand is missing skin hahaah But my goal is to fight at a gathering....And I will shop from a Dog brother instead of someone else, thats for sure!

The bone breaking rattan..Well I have several rattan sticks and a set of Komegong(Spelling) but the ones I practice with for rattan are rather hard and thick and I don't know if it is wise to use them on another human while going full contact..They are not that far away from being as hard as Komegong..I have another set that is lighter and not as thick..Still hurts like a mother but wont seriously damage anyone or kill them on impact.

Thats why I asked about the style of sticks.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:57:12 PM by Maxx »

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 06:15:40 PM »
Maxx Cool.....Nice to see you found a place to train. With skin missing from your hand and brusing all over...sounds like your getting into some pretty hardcore sparring....So what are you using to protect your head?
Anyway....I'am not telling you to buy from anyone....BUT...From Dog Brothers Inc. and Bloodsport.com You can count on getting good quality, and you will be buying from people who are In the KALI business....and know what products work well.....Both also stand behind their gear.
There were definetly some diffrences between the mask I bought from Bloodpsort and the one I bought from fencing.net.....paying a little extra for good quality is worth it in the long run....saves you from buying twice.
Just my opinon.......
                                                             Dog SB/TG
Howling Dog

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 08:07:34 PM »
For right now it's a lacross helmet that I am borrowing  from my friend. I have a big german head so it's alittle tight but other then that it's working well...I am really trying my hardest to get my game up..And not hurt myself but I have determination..Here is a small photo of my right hand healing

I got to learn to protect my hand better..

That nubby chunk on my knuckle got just bashed off and hurt like a mother!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:14:31 PM by Maxx »

sleddog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:59:46 AM »
Maxx,

Unless you are somehow much bigger than anyone we have ever seen before, or perhaps you can swing a stick like Barry Bonds you should not worry about your weapons hurting anyone. Fact is, this is not the Flintstones whacking each other's head while standing still, but fluid, mobile fighters who can close with you and make you just fight for survival. All this not mentioning the ground game that has become part of this thing and taking it to a new place.

Sparring is a voyage of self discovery, part of that voyage is finding out how little we really know.

Bon voyage.

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 12:07:54 PM »
No, I am not a giant but I do play baseball lol!
I was just making sure what the required sticks are for a gathering. I don't want to show up with something that is not the right thickness or make.

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »
Woof MAXX, I use 31inch, fire hardend rattan :wink: at the gatherings. As a general rule I think this is pretty standard. I have seen some guys use smaller and some guys use larger.....smaller is ussally no problem....larger...well your opponent has to agree to go with you.
IMHO 1inch fits well.......
Listen to the words of Sled dog...........If you come ......come to fight.......
                                                                              Dog SB
Howling Dog

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
I intend to bring serious game and put up a great fight for anyone "Hopefully  :wink:"

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »
Woof Maxx, :-D Glad your setting your sights high.........A wise man on the members site recently said this....
" I will under promise and over achieve."
Maybe it will speak to you. :wink:
                                                                    Dog SB/TG 
Howling Dog