Author Topic: Professor Max Pallen at the Gatherings  (Read 6705 times)

LEFTJAB22

• View Profile
Professor Max Pallen at the Gatherings
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:59:04 AM »
Hi. I was wondering if someone could tell me about Pro. Max Pallen and his fights at the gathering? I would love to see some video if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Sheep Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Max Pallen at the Gatherings
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:40:52 PM »
My guess is he came, he fought, he went home.

From my experience this is how most fights go.
-Never Mistake Patience and Tolerance for Weakness-

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:07 PM »
From what I saw in the DB photo gallery on this site, it looks like he attended the training camp (Jul, 02)  before the gathering and did some demonstrations. Check photo gallery for pic's. He also attended the gathering?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:12:35 PM by Tom Stillman »
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
(Hey, is the original poster Mickey Lopez ?)

I'm sure quite a few of us were there, but I'll start ...

I attended the Dog Brother training camp in the summer of 2002.  Everyone had a great time, and I have to say that the camp was an excellent immersion into the Gathering culture.   That was my first Gathering, so understandably, it was scary to get to befriend people that would be bashing me at the end of the week.  I had met Max Pallen before at the "Gathering of the Eagles 2" Kenpo convention in 2000, so I would have noticed him if he had participated in the full camp, although there were many spectators in the periphery and I missed a few of the sessions towards the end of the camp.

Max Pallen fought at the Summer 2002 Gathering, and he has all of my respect on many counts, the most salient being :  1) He is the head of an eskrima system and was willing to put his reputation on the line by fighting publicly 2) He fought with no hand, knee or elbow protection.  3) He was 61 years old and was willing to figtht men in their 20-30's .  4) He fought two stick fights 

Our luck is that his fights appear on some recent dog brother DVDs.  They are important to watch for his post-fight comments.   I hope someone will speak up as to which, although I'll get to checking my DB DVD collection someday ...

As an aside, he is my inspiration for shedding padding.  I figure that young men shouldn't be shown up by a 61- year-old.  Though, I have to say that you need *some* hand protection or your fingers will shred from errant strikes to your opponent's mask or teeth if you plan to have several fights.  One of my Gatherings was cut short by a tooth-to-fist gash which, according to the hospital staff, can lead to limb and life-threatening infections. 

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:41:21 PM by sting »
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »
Woof , If I'am not mistaken you can see one of his fights on the Los Triques dvd.....Very inspiring.
                                                              TG
Howling Dog

LEFTJAB22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
what up Gints!  :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 02:56:03 PM »
Woof All:

I'm not sure of his proper title (Prof? GM? Guro?) but "Manong Max" has a certain ring to it and so I will go with that.  Manong Max graced us with segment at our DBMAA Camp and in a moment that epitomized "Walk as a Warrior for all your days" fought at the Gathering that same weekend. 

His performance was inspiriational and it included a diving roll to recapture a lost stick IIRC.  As mentioned one of his fights and his words immediately thereafter closes out our "Los Triques" DVD.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog