DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

A Father's Question

<< < (2/13) > >>

Tony Torre:
Crafty,

When I was in junior high school I was in that situation.  I was threatened with expulsion 3 days before the last day of school, which would of meant I'd lose the year and be forced to repeat it.  At least that's what I was told.  My father taught me to stand up for myself, and let him handle all the "adult" stuff.  I called him from the payphone and he dropped everything and came right away.  My fathers approach was similar to that advocated by Karsk.  My fathers belief was that my education should not be compromised for standing up for myself.  In fact my father believed that standing up for yourself and fighting when necessary is part of your greater life education.   I can tell you that experience was life changing.  I learned that sometimes doing the right thing can be challenging, but with the right approach it can be managed most of the time.  Most important I developed the greatest respect for my dad and for his teachings of what it means to be a man.  I hope to share this bond with my son when the time comes ( and it will)

Hope this helps,
Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

thai70:
I remember a little ways back, I was watching Inside the Actors Studio and Johnny Depp was on.  He was telling a story about when he was in school and a bully was picking on him.  He said he grabbed the nearest thing he could (I don't remember if he said itwas a book or a rock) and ko'd the bully.  He was never bothered again.

I think that decision for a kid to fight or not is a decision that would affect them for their whole lives.  It can teach them confidence and that it is ok to stand up for yourself.  Seeing what kids are like, my daughter is going to learn martial arts (be it boxing FMA or whatever) and learn that sometimes you need to stand up and fight.

C-Kumu Dog:

--- Quote ---What ever happened to the good old day's when you get into a school yard fight and the teacher breaks it up, slaps you on the hand and sends you back to class and you might even start building a friendship with the the person you were fighting with.        DT
--- End quote ---

Those were the days before kids started shooting classmates.

Crafty_Dog:
Woof All:

One practical suggestion that I have received is to cite the statutory declarations in CA of the right to self-defense.  In other words, the school's declared policy is a violation of state law-- or so my lawyers will say when we sue to school should it ever fcuk with my son's right of self-defense.

Now I mull over whether and if so how to bring this to the school's attention.

TAC!
CD

Tom Stillman:
I rest my case!  I think your son is in good hands.   :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version