Author Topic: When you don't feel like fighting...  (Read 17473 times)

Dan Farley

• View Profile
When you don't feel like fighting...
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:27:33 PM »
What do you do?  Do you force yourself back into the mode, or do you just go with the flow? 

It seems that since the last gathering, most of my time has been spent in my new circle of writing peers, smoking those hippie-like herbal cigarettes and drinking too much wine :mrgreen:

I really haven't trained a lick, just some bjj for fun, and it seems as though the burn for a good, healthy squabble just isn't calling my name, when for so long I couldn't think of anything else.  wtf  :?

I've always known that I've never been at the same aggression level as some of the other pack members, but there has always been that drive to train and do the best I could, even if I wasn't that guy out there mixin it up as often as some the old-school guys that really go for it, but it was always a ton of fun, and I really loved it.   

Am I the only one who strays off the path? 

Maybe a little too much time on the jits mats has made me soft, huh? :-D   I'll tell you this much though, it is kind of nice going to bed and getting up without the stick-hickeys and the sore bones from stick grappling with Crafty. ha ha ha...

Anyways... hope you guys are doing well, haven't heard from anyone but Cisco in a while. 

Best to all.

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
Re: When you don't feel like fighting...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:55:53 PM »
Get into shape hippie!  :evil:

Nah, I hear ya. I'm in the same boat except for different reasons. We "downsized" our workforce but the workload remains the same and has even grown. After working M-F for 12 hours + a day and Saturday mornings I have found little to no time to train. What's worse is the self imposed depression of not training and the lack of stress relief that not only gets rid of my frustration but clears my head and keeps me invigorated. Hopefully soon the economy will start a turn around and allow me some actual free time again. Until then I guess being overworked is still working and keeps the bills paid so I'll stop ranting now...

Good to hear from you though. One of these days we gotta start training again as I think I owe you a brondo buzzsaw or two...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 08:22:14 AM by Sea-Scurvy Dog »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »
Woof Dog Dan:

Your June Gathering smelled to me like a big piece of what you came for-- entirely natural to have a phase after where the focus is different.  Also there was the trip to Prescott ,  , , Know that the Wednesday class is happening again.  Also know that your "Brondo Buzzsaw" will appear in a DBMA DVD, and perhaps in the Nat Geo documentary.  You are one of the featured story lines in the piece by the way.  You come across quite well.  Well done!

The Adventure continues!
Guro Crafty

PS: Please call me.  I have a project I wish to discuss with you.

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 08:29:27 AM »
Know that the Wednesday class is happening again. 

Woof Crafty,

Same place same time? I'm going to try and clear my Tues/Wed evenings for such things. I need to get out of this funk I'm in.

Tim

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 08:55:51 AM »
Yes-- looking forward to seeing you there.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:54:37 AM »
"Am I the only one who strays off the path?"

Not at all.  The last BJJ tournament I did I was totally out of it, shouldn't have competed but decided to anyways.  It was so weird, I wasn't nervous, didn't really care if I won or lost and on top of that, wasn't too concerned that I weighed in at the bottom of the weight class (which was one class up from what I usually wrestle at).  No warm up before my first match because I was too busy helping everyone else out, coaching, timing, all while I was video taping.  So I got out there on the mat, still no nerves, played my game and got out pointed.  It was almost like I was looking for a way out, didn't want to wrestle again.  IMHO I think this could be pretty dangerous during a gathering!  I hope this never happens to me again.

Woof!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Dan Farley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 12:08:50 PM »
Crafty-
You get my voicemail yesterday? 

Scurvy-
Have you been going to Erik's new place at all?  You're going to come Wed night practice with all that built-up work stress and unleash it on me, aren't you?   :evil: 

Ryan-
I agree completely.  bjj tournies are one thing, showing up lazy at a gathering=bad choice!!

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
I've always known that I've never been at the same aggression level as some of the other pack members, but there has always been that drive to train and do the best I could, even if I wasn't that guy out there mixin it up as often as some the old-school guys that really go for it, but it was always a ton of fun, and I really loved it.   

Woof Dan,

I remember the first time I saw you fight at the RAW gym in an unarmed vs. stick fight.  Your monkey-like movements and aggression impressed me.  I can't believe I'm actually reading about your questioning your ability to fight.   

Crafty sees more of the pre-Gathering jitters than anyone.  And if it helps, I go through the same process from time to time, as well as oberving it my my Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo club ( a hard-contact unarmed style) as well as in the guys that fight in my garage.  The level of internal doubt rises as you believe that they are training more than you are, and you assess your injury load.  When I count up my injuries, I always keep in mind that everyone else goes to the Gathering with a similar list of ailments.  Some people come up with a last minute illness - real due to the stress of training and travel or imagination caused by doubt.

In any case, I always treat the Gathering with complete respect because it is a unique event.  And it's better to fight in youth and watch in age than to never have fought at all.

Gints

Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »
Hey Dan, I know how you feel.  My doctor just perscribed herbal cigarettes(as you put it) for my back and sciatica condition.  It can sure slow you down a bit and doesn't do much for ones motivation. Although, it sure tastes good!! 8-)  P.S. Forcing yourself to fight is a good way to test your metal especially if you have not trained  in some time.  D.T.
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 07:51:28 PM »
"My doctor just perscribed herbal cigarettes"

Wow really?  I'd like to hear more about this, maybe the health and nutrition thread if you get a chance.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Dog Pound

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Dog Pound's Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »
When I'm training and I don't feel like fighting ... I don't.

This isn't how I make a living.  If I don't want to spar, then I lift KB's, hit the bag, ride my bike ... stay active, but listen to your body.  The silence between the notes is part of the music and all that Zen :lol:
I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ass, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information.
- Ron White

http://ironpunk.blogspot.com/

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 02:27:51 PM »
Ive fell off the path many times, sometimes life happens and you dont have time to train but you know, had I gone to training even though I didnt really want to I think I would have burnt out and when I finally went back it felt really good to get in and train. When I first moved to Hawaii, I didnt train at all for like 3 years part of it was trying to find the right group.  I met up with Dogzilla and everything clicked and it's always a blast even when getting whooped on by DogZilla or one of the others, lol.  Right now Im probably in training overdrive because my girl will be giving birth in February so I have been training with Tobosa Escrima, Ola'a-Nalo Escrima and DogZilla and when the baby comes, who knows what my schedule will be like..  :?
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Dan Farley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 06:18:51 PM »
Some good stuff you guys are kicking around.  Thanks for chiming in!

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
"When I'm training and I don't feel like fighting ... I don't."

What he said  :-D

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »
"When I'm training and I don't feel like fighting ... I don't."

I think this can be on several different levels as well.  You might mentally be up for fighting but physically your body is telling you to reconsider.  Similarly you may have trained your butt off and in the best shape of your life but if your mind is telling you not to step on the mat.  Lastly if you "want" to fight but one of the other two variables are in the way.  I have personally experienced not being physically ready to fight, not being mentally prepared to fight and also not wanting to fight.  Each time I have fought and regretted it.

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »
I understand not fighting if you don't feel up to it but, it is a good Idea ( IMHO) to test yourself (within reason)  in extreme conditions when you are not at your peak performance. In real life you do not necessarily have the luxury of preparing for a physical altercation. With that in mind,  I would suggest fighting  under these conditions at least once. Who knows, you may discover something about yourself or maybe get an idea of what your limitations are under similar conditions in the future..                                                     Like DIRTY HARRY said  " A man's got to know his limitations"  :wink: DT
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:44:26 PM by Tom Stillman »
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Dan Farley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 06:09:58 PM »
I like the way you you think, Tom.  Even though I'll probably sit this one out, I might just throw my training bag in the back of my truck, just in case it looks like you guys are having too much fun without me while I watch.   :-D

Crafty- no luck on the phone tag as of yet.  Shall we swap emails?     

bjung

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »
I'm in agreement with Tom. I haven't trained for this Gathering, but my approach is well, I should be ready for anything anytime, and if i'm not, how will i do? on one level i'm fairly scared/stressed, but on another, my expectations are low, so there's some relaxtion. we'll see how it goes... :|

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »
I've been watching some of your fights this week in the Dos Triques DVD-- you look pretty deadly to me :-)

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »
I have also decided to register for the fights. (tentatively)   If I can't resist, I will fight! Otherwise my plan was to just watch this go round. 8-) DT

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 05:33:43 PM »
on one level i'm fairly scared/stressed

Correction, you are excited!  :-D  Just a few minutes ago I got that adrenal rush simply from looking at the pictures from Gints of the June Gathering.  My heart started pumping, I felt the release of adrenaline into my body, I started to breathe a little heavier and said to myself "here we go again!"  Does anyone else get this feeling prior to a Gathering?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

SB_Mig

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 08:24:50 AM »
Awwww what the heck...I'll take the Stillman approach:

Registration on its way, will decide whether or not to fight on the day.

Miguel

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »
 :lol: :-D 8-)

Scurvy Dog

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 03:09:32 PM »
Woof,

Until this last weekend I actually planned on sitting this one out as I am going to Costa Rica on Tuesday after the event for my anniversery. However, I will be sending in my registration as well and maybe do a knife fight and a stick fight. Besides, I'm curious how I will fight after having not trained for months. It should be an interesting test for myself.

Tim

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »
This is the spirit!!!  8-)

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 06:59:49 PM »
I didnt see his name on the list but I know Peregrine from the Hawaii Clan will be there.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »
Well, he better get his Fighter Registration in then!

Also, Cat Linda Matsumi (who fought at the Swiss Gathering by the way  8-) ) is looking for some women to fight and will be posting tomorrow.  I will be digging up tomorrow the contact info of her opponent Gina from the June Gathering.

TAC!