Author Topic: Health Thread (nutrition, medical, longevity, etc)  (Read 274398 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: bleeding out break among some cannabinoid users
« Reply #500 on: April 25, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »
https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/ABbxbcJupuTfWuCHmA1SKOi5QRc

Pls doublcheck the link.

All stories I find searching the title refer to 'synthetic pot', whatever that is.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Chagas disease
« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
being reported more in the US

this has previously been a South American disease :

https://www.businessinsider.com/chagas-disease-spreading-and-causing-heart-problems-2018-8?yptr=yahoo

I don't suppose the people walking in here from S of the border are possibly bringing this with them and making the prevalence rates skyrocket.

PS to my knowledge there is no cure .

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Health Thread - Marijuana health risk
« Reply #507 on: January 07, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/marijuana-pot-health-risks-legalization.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fopinion

Opinion, What Advocates of Legalizing Pot Don’t Want You to Know

"large studies in peer-reviewed journals showing that marijuana increases the risk of psychosis and schizophrenia"

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: sorting truth regarding marijuana, "three times as likely"
« Reply #509 on: January 22, 2019, 06:21:43 AM »
https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/marijuana-mental-illness-violence/

Very well researched and constructed article, does a nice job of presenting the best real data mathematically and let you draw your own cause and effect conclusions.

Typical user does not turn to violence.  Typical user does not have a psychotic break.  Very few do but three times as likely for something a vulnerable teenager is not told is alarming:

"Teenagers who smoke marijuana regularly are about three times as likely to develop schizophrenia, the most devastating psychotic disorder."

Most users don't turn from pot to hard and deadly drugs, but three times as likely is a significant correlation:

"people who used cannabis in 2001 were almost three times as likely to use opiates three years later, even after adjusting for other potential risks."

"In the 1970s, the last time this many Americans used cannabis, most marijuana contained less than two percent THC. Today, marijuana routinely contains 20 to 25 percent THC"

More than 10 times stronger now than some may remember - and it was a plenty psychoactive drug then.

"The first four states to legalize marijuana for recreational use were Colorado and Washington in 2014 and Alaska and Oregon in 2015. Combined, those four states had about 450 murders and 30,300 aggravated assaults in 2013. Last year, they had almost 620 murders and 38,000 aggravated assaults—an increase of 37 percent for murders and 25 percent for aggravated assaults, far greater than the national increase, even after accounting for differences in population growth."

I'm not as convinced on this.  They adjust for population growth but perhaps not for the demographics of the population, young males moving in for the novelty, coolness, culture of legalization.  The increases were not in retiring couples, families with children, etc.

The crime rate is up in oil boom areas too, not from the oil but from the demographic that moves there:
https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/crime-and-courts/north-dakota-s-crime-rate-sees-biggest-spike-of-the/article_6d4a48d7-137a-5583-adf4-8e56ad90ddef.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:35:20 AM by DougMacG »

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 22, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »
The potency of today's mj creates a lot of 911 calls, meaning a police/fire/ems response and a trip to the ER. Not cheap, and we get to fund that.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/marijuana-mental-illness-violence/

Very well researched and constructed article, does a nice job of presenting the best real data mathematically and let you draw your own cause and effect conclusions.

Typical user does not turn to violence.  Typical user does not have a psychotic break.  Very few do but three times as likely for something a vulnerable teenager is not told is alarming:

"Teenagers who smoke marijuana regularly are about three times as likely to develop schizophrenia, the most devastating psychotic disorder."

Most users don't turn from pot to hard and deadly drugs, but three times as likely is a significant correlation:

"people who used cannabis in 2001 were almost three times as likely to use opiates three years later, even after adjusting for other potential risks."

"In the 1970s, the last time this many Americans used cannabis, most marijuana contained less than two percent THC. Today, marijuana routinely contains 20 to 25 percent THC"

More than 10 times stronger now than some may remember - and it was a plenty psychoactive drug then.

"The first four states to legalize marijuana for recreational use were Colorado and Washington in 2014 and Alaska and Oregon in 2015. Combined, those four states had about 450 murders and 30,300 aggravated assaults in 2013. Last year, they had almost 620 murders and 38,000 aggravated assaults—an increase of 37 percent for murders and 25 percent for aggravated assaults, far greater than the national increase, even after accounting for differences in population growth."

I'm not as convinced on this.  They adjust for population growth but perhaps not for the demographics of the population, young males moving in for the novelty, coolness, culture of legalization.  The increases were not in retiring couples, families with children, etc.

The crime rate is up in oil boom areas too, not from the oil but from the demographic that moves there:
https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/crime-and-courts/north-dakota-s-crime-rate-sees-biggest-spike-of-the/article_6d4a48d7-137a-5583-adf4-8e56ad90ddef.html

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 22, 2019, 07:13:56 AM »
quote author=G M:
"The potency of today's mj creates a lot of 911 calls, meaning a police/fire/ems response and a trip to the ER. Not cheap, and we get to fund that."

Right.  

The switch to edibles, thought to be a more healthy choice, completely screws up dosage.  Packages of legal edibles are marked in numbers that make no sense to most users.  The edibles out of the package are not labeled. A person might knowingly or unknowingly eat a whole package of cookies when the dosage they should have had was zero for a teenager or maybe a quarter of a cookie for a responsible adult. Not many drugs are literally distributed as candy.  The delay to take effect also tempts people to take more than a light, recreational dosage.

I have long preferred decriminalization to legalization, recognizing that small personal use is a choice of vice for a responsible adult, a mostly victimless sin usually deserving little of no punishment or record if not occurring in conjunction with a crime or accident.  But sponsorship and promotion by society without facts and warnings is creating its own problems.  

Information and misinformation in Colorado is mostly distributed by young, enthusiastic salespeople in the 'dispensaries', high on the job, with an interest in selling the product and filling their own tip jar.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:16:09 AM by DougMacG »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Health Thread (nutrition, medical, longevity, etc)
« Reply #512 on: January 25, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
"The switch to edibles, thought to be a more healthy choice, completely screws up dosage.  Packages of legal edibles are marked in numbers that make no sense to most users.  The edibles out of the package are not labeled. A person might knowingly or unknowingly eat a whole package of cookies when the dosage they should have had was zero for a teenager or maybe a quarter of a cookie for a responsible adult. Not many drugs are literally distributed as candy.  The delay to take effect also tempts people to take more than a light, recreational dosage."

THIS.

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Cancer cure
« Reply #514 on: February 09, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »
Hi Doug,

I read about the Israeli company's claims , and

while no expert on cancer research thought  if it is too good to be true ....

I found this reaction to the announcement just now:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-an-israeli-company-about-to-cure-cancer/

Overall this may well turn out to a new approach to treatment but it could not possibly be something that could prove to work and be safe for a long time.

Sounds like this company is looking for investors. 

(I wish it were true)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
drug cartels selling cheap pot
« Reply #516 on: June 15, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »
so buyers don't have to pay tax.

uh oh . this will make the tax and spend crats to go nuts.  less money to pay off all the pension debts:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/legal-marijuana-a-boon-to-illegal-cartels/

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: drug cartels selling cheap pot
« Reply #517 on: June 15, 2019, 12:15:29 PM »
so buyers don't have to pay tax.

uh oh . this will make the tax and spend crats to go nuts.  less money to pay off all the pension debts:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/legal-marijuana-a-boon-to-illegal-cartels/

City Journal notes that it's not just mom and pop scofflaws that are problematic:

Legal-pot states are attracting international criminal cartels. Mexican drug gangs have smuggled illegals into Colorado to set up growing operations, former U.S. prosecutor Bob Troyer  wrote last September, explaining why his office was stepping up enforcement. Rather than smuggle pot from Mexico, the cartels grow it in Colorado and smuggle it elsewhere—spurring violence. In 2017, seven homicides in Denver were directly connected to marijuana growers. “I would love to be able to shift some of my resources away from marijuana to other things,” Denver lieutenant Andrew Howard said last year. “But right now, the violence is marijuana or marijuana-related.”

**I was told this was IMPOSSIBLE!

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
racquetball
« Reply #518 on: June 26, 2019, 06:15:35 AM »
I played this in college 40 + yrs ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXvyNKaFkaU

These guys make it look easy.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Health Thread (nutrition, medical, longevity, etc)
« Reply #519 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
As a boy my step father took me to the City Athletic Club for squash and this.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Plant based meat alternatives PBMA
« Reply #520 on: October 26, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »
Good article in Jama but I can't post due to blocking as subscription

I don't subscribe to the journal but for some reason they always send it to me for free

Bottom line is PBMA production is very environmentally sound.
Due to being produced in a lab and production center not need cows
saves on deforestation making way for grasslands , methane gas from cow flatulence , cow waste products from contaminating water, less energy usage to produce, cheaper and not having to raise animals just to slaughter.  Efforts are underway to produce similar products that taste like pork and chicken and fish.
At this time some of the protein is soy or from peas.

What is NOT know is are the products healthier , less healthy , or neutral to real animal protein.

There are additives which may not be healthy.
IF one looks at the total calories in PBMA from what I have seen from the ingredient label on the some of the products is the total calories is about the same of maybe a bit less .

I tried Beyond Meat sausages and was pleasantly surprised .  To me they do taste "real"
Ate a hamburger last night and it was good though not quite as close to real beef to me .
I would buy both products again .

Not al all like "veggie" burgers which to me are very distasteful.

Bottom line, 

environmentally sound but health wise unclear at this time.

And as is true with nearly every single publication in any medical journal . - MORE study is needed!