Author Topic: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters)  (Read 563982 times)

DougMacG

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Issues in the American Creed (Constitutional Law and related matters)
« Reply #1600 on: November 14, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
T - Interesting stuff.  I don't agree with your conclusion.  I've studied a little contract law myself and I believe there are a number of ways of expressing consent.  In my view, all 50 states have.  Rhode Island consents now and is sending electors to Washington to participate in a constitutional process.

"By the way....every legal agreement you'll enter into, in your life requires a signed contract. "

- Simply not true.

I prefer the Declaration of Independence as well but don't see it as the governing document.

"And those of us who do not consent?"   -  Count me often in that group, a conservative in a liberal electorate.  We have some protections against tyranny by the majority but perhaps not enough.  Mostly we don't have enough recourse against politicians we elect who don't keep their word.

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
George Will
« Reply #1601 on: November 20, 2020, 09:07:28 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-are-arguing-against-the-framers-original-intent/2020/11/19/0269875e-2aab-11eb-9b14-ad872157ebc9_story.html

The Framers did not know of the concept of "illegal immigrants "

but it is hard to think to me at least they would have approved of illegals being shipped in to increase apportionments for Congress

they are here illegally
would the founders have granted them political representation ?

I don't think Will's argument is by any means fool proof

George - go away.