Author Topic: Filipino martial arts schools near Whittier?  (Read 15316 times)

jaydogg72

• View Profile
Filipino martial arts schools near Whittier?
« on: March 09, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
Hello all,

I am looking to train in Kali. I have a BJJ and Muay Thai background, however I am not able to locate a good school in my area, I am between OC and LA counties. Any help is appreciated.

califkali

• View Profile
Re: Filipino martial arts schools near Whittier?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 07:19:39 PM »
bud thompson is in whittier. kalijkd.com

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »
If you are not interested in the JKD thing and just right up FMA..Antillo (www.atillobalintawak.com) is in the 909 and on the weekends you can team up with Master "toper" Rickets from Ilustrisimo trains up in west covina and I am now just started to team up with Bryan " c-Guide Dog" Stoops and he is a really awesome guy. He is also in the area.

If you are looking for a sparring partner in your area you can come up and fight with us. I am close to your area.  :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:48:33 AM »
C-Guide Dog includes DBMA amongst his credentials.

Also representing DBMA is Lester "Surf Dog" Griffin who has a school in Hemet.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »
Shucks Guro Crafty and Maxx,

Thank you both for the shout outs.  Jaydog72, all of the folks that have been suggested for you on this thread so far are great places to start.  Since you specifically mentioned Whittier, I'll assume that you live there, or nearby.  You really should check out Sifu Bud Thompson's school, again at www.kalijkd.com 

I have been there for just under four years.  Sifu Bud is very old school Guro Inosanto.  We have group classes M-Th at 6-8pm.  Monday is striking (JKD, Thai, Savate). Tuesday and Thursday is Kali.  We have Savate on Friday nights at 7-8:30 under Tony Adams, who is a silver glove under Daniel Duby.  Guro Louis Campos also teaches an advanced class on Sundays.  Some punk (me) teaches trapping and Kali on Wednesday nights.

Sorry for the extended commercial, jaydogg72.  If you are in Whittier, you can always make the drive to the Inosanto Academy for Guro Marc's Saturday DBMA class, or even better, take some privates with the Crafty one, since he is NOT all THAT far away from Whittier. :wink:
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

jaydogg72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I have actually trained at Bud Thompsons school before. I will contact him again soon. Any other suggestions, can be in the OC as well, thats where I work.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:05:04 PM »
Michael Ritz and Greg Moody - Apprentice Instructor
Practical Defense Systems
Chula Vista, CA
619-213-8205
mritz@cox.net

James Stacy: Personal Trainer
1250 S. Santa Fe Ave.
Suite H
Vista, CA 92084
phone#  760-758-8500
http://www.junfanjeetkunedo.com
jstacy@junfanjeetkunedo.com

califkali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
chula vista and vista are a long way from whittier and oc for regular training. blaise loong was teaching in oc, not sure lately. join us in hemet for a workout.

jaydogg72

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:36 AM »
Hemet is a little far too, has anyone trained in Long Beach with Travis Downing? I noticed his school is pretty close, also OC Kickboxing has Kali as well...

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 06:42:06 AM »
Travis is very good.  I did Sayoc training with him.  He also offers CSW MMA trainiing.

MonyetNakal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 06:09:36 AM »
...Has anyone trained in Long Beach with Travis Downing?...

I cannot recommend Travis Downing and all the cats at Integrated highly enough. Great group and between the Inosanto/LaCoste, Sayoc and Atienza systems they provide a nice range of styles. Definitely worth calling up and checking out.

Also echoing C-Guide Dog's observation that the Inosanto Academy is practically just down the 105 from you. Well worth what drive that entails (and I commute from Lakewood to Westwood daily so that's not just speculation on my part)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:14:54 AM by MonyetNakal »

tankerdriver

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:00:37 AM »
I trained a Bud's back in the early nineties, he's a good man. Used to teach at old IMB Academy. His school is one of the only Martial Arts Schools in California that Dan Inosanto gives seminars. That alone speaks volumes for the man.

tankerdriver

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 03:14:28 AM »
Hey Guide Dog how is Bud doing. Does he still get around good. I know the man is turing 79 this year. Awesome. Hope he is doing fine. By the way is Jim still selling old seminar tapes for 10 bucks. I would like to get my hands on some of Ted LucayLucay tapes.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 02:29:52 PM »
tankerdriver,

I trained with Sifu Bud yesterday. He had some trouble with one of his hips and some surgery a little while ago, so he doesn't drop down into full splits anymore. He's still at the academy all of the time, and he teaches all of the classes not covered by other instructors. Sifu makes most of the old seminar DVD's available through the main office, and I know he has ALL of them, so you might want to approach him first. Guro Louis Campos has a Sunday class, and he often features Guro Ted's material, along with ALL of the other things that he does so well.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
Louie Campos is as good as he is unknown to the larger scene.  In short he is very good.  Please give him a warm Woof! from me.

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:38 PM »
Guro Crafty,

It will be a good two weeks before I see Guro Louie, but when I do, I'll be sure to give him your best. A few years ago, when I told him that I was beginning to participate in the Gatherings, he had kind words for the organization, which was inspiring at the time.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

tankerdriver

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 08:24:14 AM »
Guide Dog what does Louie Campos teach at the academy. When Bud had Ted Lucay Lucay over for seminars it seemed Louie Campos was into that pretty heavy. Does Louie teach Ted's curriculum?

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »
tankerdriver,

Guro Louie teaches on Sundays, from 11:30-2:30.  He covers... whatever strikes his fancy. He spends a lot of time on Silat, which he does incredibly well. Last time I took his class, we did LucayLucay Kali material for single stick and then stick and dagger. Guro Louie is also a GREAT Wing Chun instructor. If you ask him, he'll pretty much mold the day to what was requested. We have a Silat seminar coming up at the acadmey. Guro often spends time preparing the student body for whatever is approaching. I believe Guro Louie holds an associate instructorship in the LucayLucay material, so yes, he does teach it.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com