Author Topic: Training DBMA/Kali with C-Guide Dog  (Read 4746 times)

Maxx

• Power User
    • View Profile
Training DBMA/Kali with C-Guide Dog
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
This is for the Lurkers, Soon to be's and the very interested.

I had a training session with Bryan "C-Guide Dog" Stoops Thursday night and I would have to say with all Honesty it was one of the best experiances I have had in my training in Kali. He showed me DBMA "Power" , One for One and a host of items that will allow me to improve my game..OH and not to mention helped me understand "The Gatherings" better. The Explaination on what to expect was just as Valuable as the training.

I was also shocked when I was taught that I had some holes that needed to be closed and I was glad it was pointed out and the explanation on how to do things was clear and understandable.

Fighting at gatherings has been a long time goal and C-Guide Dog now knows that but I was always alittle shaky on the whole thing. I didnt have the right questions and I was not able to find the right answers.

I am a Apprentice Instructor in Kali but what does that really mean? I really was not sure if I could carry myself into The Gathering with that.

Training Thursday with Bryan really started to answer my questions and even brought up some new ones and actually put my mind at ease ,I look forward to training with him again and listening to great drumming music while we train! (I need that cd  :wink: )

Thank you Bryan.

So for the people who want to fight at a gathering and have question about the what to expect. I suggest you find yourself a DB or someone who fought at a gathering and ask them all the questions you need to ask. From my experiance it seems they are willing to help you out  :-D

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Training DBMA/Kali with C-Guide Dog
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
Woof Maxx:

I'm glad your trainiing with C-Guide Dog is well begun.

TAC,
CD

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
Re: Training DBMA/Kali with C-Guide Dog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:43 AM »
Maxx,

Thank you for the kind words.  I have beer reading about DBMA since I was a teenager, (I'm about to turn 30) so to be a member of the tribe, and now a training group leader means a lot to me.  When I head off to a Gathering, my wife always says, "DBMA is my least favorite thing that you do (because of the potential for in jury), but I think it's the most valuable."  What she means is that DBMA is a great way to try and figure out where your skills actually are and what you can actually do.

I was not athletic growing up at all, and I still have days where I feel like the MOST uncoordinated person in the world.  There are SO many great fighters in DBMA, and I am very much a novice.  I figure that even if I am the worst fighter at a Gathering, at least I went out there and did my part to test myself and provide an opponent/target for the Brothers.

I had my own preconceived notions about DBMA until a few years ago.  I watched the clip, which is still on this site, entitled "Rambling Ruminations."  I was struck with how articulate Guro Marc was, especially for someone that I had been led to believe was "crazy." :wink:  After a seminar with Guro Marc, there I was, fighting in a Gathering.  I did some things that I was pleased with at that Gathering, and I had some REAL holes in my game exposed.

I have really been impressed with Crafty Dog.  No a$$ kissing here, but his dedication to helping people truly "walk as a warrior for all their days", and the impact that has on them and the immediate world around them is really amazing.  He can be colorful, but any time spent in the presence of Guro Marc Denny will reveal how much info. there is in his mind and his heart, and how much his life's work means to him.

Enough Hallmark Moments.  If you are reading this and you have the means and you have ever thought about fighting in a Gathering, you should do it!  It's free.  It's there for everyone who wants it.  It will forever change you.  I was scared that I was going to get severely injured and that fear never goes away.  Then I arrive.  I see Guro Marc and Pretty Kitty.  I see some of the folks that I have gotten to know a little through DBMA: the NoHo Gang, C-Bitch (who owes me a knife fight), Dog Ryan (who keeps pointing out that I look like that guy from Metallica), and I meet some of the other folks from around the world who are feeling exactly like I am.  Eventually, I get out there on the floor.  Sticks clash.  We hurt each other, a little bit, and I leave with a high unlike anything else in martial arts.  Again, if you have ever considered doing it, you should fight at a Gathering.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com