Author Topic: Ripley's believe it or not.  (Read 11488 times)

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
Ripley's believe it or not.
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
I am not new to the public forum though this is my first post on "Martial Arts".

I don't know if I sound naive with this question here but I wonder if anyone else saw the cable show Ripleys with the segment showing where they show martial artists taking direct blows to the groin and throat.  How can they do this without injury?  Is this some sort of trick?  If the scrotum is above the pelvic bone I guess the blow would be deflected from the sensitive area.  But the blows to the Adams apple boggle my mind.  How can one prevent the cartilage in the neck from being crushed? 

What is the method of this?  Anyone know?

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Ripley's believe it or not.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »
I think that clip was from the Combat KI guys, I googled the term "Combat KI" and didnt bring up any sites of substance but I did find this clip.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/677164/martial_art_combat_ki/
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
This is not a video of the show but this is the show I am posting about.  Episode 8 - I guess it is a repeat of an old show from 2000.

http://www.angelfire.com/nv/ripley/8.html

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
Pro MMA Fighter Genki Sudo vs. Combat Ki:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-5SVkgRTVs&e[/youtube]
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »
Wow, he took a pretty good combo there..
So do they just take it and hope that the opponent will go away or do the follow up with something?

Out of curiosity can they take a beating with a stick?? LOL.
"You see, it's not the blood you spill that gets you what you want, it's the blood you share. Your family, your friendships, your community, these are the most valuable things a man can have." Before Dishonor - Hatebreed

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
I want to see them take a Cross-Hook combo to the chin.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

sting

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 05:19:18 PM »
While I can't verify whether these demonstrations are indeed fake, I have a few observations.  Demonstrator #1 (young fellow with jar head) tenses his neck before the blow.  The severity of the punch is not known.  You can take a bad punch in the throat and hurt later.  This Also, it is possible that this fellow has natural attributes (height, recessed larynx, strong front neck muscles) that allow him to take such demonstrations.   It is rarer that he can take shots to the throat and groin.  Too many people think that martial arts is 100% development rather than a selection of the able. 

The punch to the belly/solar plexus is unimpressive to a trained martial artist. 

Taken ata face value, the groin shots are remarkable.  I'd like to know more about the groin shots. There are many sleight-of-hand tricks performed by the obvious performer and the less-obvious trained member of the audience. 
Baltic Dog

Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo (Prof. Richard Lewis)
3rd Degree Black Belt Instructor

Bono JKD/Kajukenbo (Prof. John Bono)
Gentlemen's Fighting Club

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
The "Combat Ki" school was one of the clubs featured on the tv show "10 BEST" or something like that.  If you recall, the Dog Brothers were on that show. Not sure about punch to throat demo. I do know the kick to the groin is a parlor trick. If one tightens their buttox muscles before the kick makes contact, it causes your hips to shift forward slightly and when the kick makes contact, the butt muscles take the brunt of the force from the kick. Using this technique, the kick makes no contact to the testicles. If it were a straight front snap kick, that guy would have been rolling on the ground in pain. I'm afraid these guys are just masters at martial art parlor tricks!
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
A song from my youth
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »
Do your balls hang low?
Do they wobble too and fro?
Can you tie them in a knot and
throw them over your shoulder
like a Continental Solidier (reference to American Revolution)
Do your balls hang low?

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
I've heard things as crazy as "they can pull their testicles up into their body right before impact."

My opinion; they either don't have any balls or can deal with the pain.  There have been plenty of sick clips online of S&M where a guy is getting off on women kicking them in the nuts, stepping on their balls with heels, etc.  I think we should be asking them what's up as I believe they would give us a clearer view of what is actually going on than the Combat Ki guys. 
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

C-Kumu Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 02:54:22 AM »
Sorry for some reason I thought this kinda fits the topic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cgQkT4ScQ[/youtube]

ccp

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
"they either don't have any balls or can deal with the pain."

Well one of the demonstrators was a woman.  I wasn't clear why we were suposed to be impressed by her taking a kick to the down under.  I guess it was supposed to be a politically correct comment on gender equality.

Tom Stillman

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
I couldn't resist.  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ogdAhF-ABs
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:23:46 PM by Tom Stillman »
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.  dalai lama