Author Topic: Tapered sticks in LSA?  (Read 12420 times)

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tapered sticks in LSA?
« on: October 11, 2003, 04:46:21 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I've often seen photos of GM Benjamin Luna Lema, of Lightning Scientific Arnis, using a stick that appears to be tapered, and with the grip wrapped in some material.  I found this interesting, as it would make the stick in question balance and therefore handle more like a sword.  Does anyone have any info on this or any other tapered sticks used in FMA?

Thanks,

Dave/TFS
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590

johnny

Tapered sticks in LSA?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 09:39:22 AM »
i've seen many cebuano eskrimadors play with this kind of stick too, mostly made of bahi or kamagong.

Tapered stick
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 11:32:30 AM »
When I first learned with an eskrimador, this is what was used on me.  The good thing about it is if one is hit lightly, it doesn't hurt and the instructor can show how fast the hits can come in... with safety.  The bad thing about tapered rattan is that it has a tendency to fray over time.  This is because the skin has been shaved off thus affecting the basic integrity of the rattan stick.

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tapered sticks in LSA?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 07:07:20 AM »
Thanks for the input, folks.

So, we have examples of this type of tapered stick in both hardwoods (like kamagong) and rattan--interesting.

What about the wrapping on the handle, it that common?  What materials are used?  Leather?  Cord?  Athletic Tape?

Thanks,

Dave/TFS
"And the rapier blades, being so narrow and of so small substance, and made of a very hard temper to fight in private frays... do presently break and so become unprofitable." --Sir John Smythe, 1590

Tape and gloves
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 08:27:40 AM »
The grip is a personal preference of the teacher.  Any material will do.  It can range from tennis grip wrap to various fabric tapes.  My instructor experimented with leather to bag to golf gloves.  He often cut off the fingers or ends.  There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way.

Sand
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 08:48:35 AM »
In addition to the dipping in plasti dip or polyurethane, you can roll the grip end in sand to let to dry for extra grip.  Wrapping sandpaper with double sided tape to hold it down is another alternative for the grip end.

Spadaccino

• Power User
    • View Profile
Tapered sticks in LSA?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 12:10:00 PM »
Very interesting--thank you.