Author Topic: systema query  (Read 4313 times)

tim nelson

• View Profile
systema query
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
howdy folks, so i have been recently introduced to systema, my question is what does anyone know about systema, is the stuff being taught to non-spetsnaz people being watered down to dojo martial arts?  i havent seen it yet on video clips being used against a resisting person{s}. and i just wonder how effective is its potential? before investing large amounts of time into it,

and so far i am impressed with the teaching progression, joint moving and relaxation, involvement of body alignment and movement, avoiding strikes, taking strikes like hitting each other rolling with it, multiple opponent skills, funky angle striking, and maybe other stuff.

as i  understand it, systema was born from traditional russian martial arts, and during cold war those rma's were tested in laboratory observed settings, such as: the russian special forces called spetsnaz would be put in a room with a gulag death row inmate, the inmate as told if he wins by killing the other he goes free. and it as 3 on 5 2 on 2, 1 on 3, varios numbers, and inmates vs. inmates, and spetsnaz vs. each other too. and this was observed to see what worked, along with hybriding other systems. this is what i heard by a friend who is into it deeply, training in systema i mean deeply.

i have been hit and am impressed with the power and angles, and taking shots, seems similiar to the hammer fist type strikes in a new video clip on this website.  the gulag stuff aside, systema does seem to stem from the spetsnaz, as in not falsified. so it coming from a real life use background that is recent and current.

my question is what does anyone know about systema, is the stuff being taught to non-spetsnaz people being watered down to dojo martial arts, i havent seen it yet on video clips being used against a resisting person{s}.      thanx,    tim