DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

the titles of the teachers in the fillipino martial arts ("Kali")

<< < (2/54) > >>

Guest:

--- Quote from: Anonymous ---logan,
i think japanese, chinese, and korean martial arts focus on lineage because of confucianism.  just a theory.  you see, if you also go to east asian households, you'll also see photos of 'ancestors'.  so culturally, they are predisposed to lineages.

filipino culture, however, cares not for 'ancestor' worship.  every generation is tested, not relying on history.
--- End quote ---

In Ernesto Presas' book it states that, "When a tiger dies, it leaves it's skin - when a man dies, he leaves his name"  Sounds like ancestor worship is alive and well in the Phillipines.

If ancestor worship was not alive and well, all the homage being paid to various teachers from the various sects of FMA would not exist.  There are those who seek knowledge of skillset from various legendary teachers. and claimed they learned from so and so.   Again, another example.

Anybody that has trained under a nobody or somebody not well known usually gets tested moreso than one who has lineage.  If not, why do people end up doing the groupie thing than seek the lesser known ones who have learned like skill but doesn't go around flaunting or advertising it?  I find that interesting.

Look at Guro Dan Inosanto... his schedule of late seems to be more booked up than ever.

Anonymous:
ancestor worship in the philippines, as far as martial arts go, if you notice, only go as far back as the beginning of the 1900s.

the importance of lineage in FMA began after WWII, because many people felt lineage was an important part of one's fighting prowess.

if you ask people about lineage before the 1900s, people wouldn't know anything.  people won't know because lineage in FMA was never important. it was only when FMA was compared to other east asian arts, who celebrated lineages, that many felt they had to mention 'lineage'.

such dogma has no place in real fighting.  

to quote bruce lee (once you've achieved the level of virtuousity), "forget everything your teacher has taught you".  this is a call for innovation, to not be bogged down on dogmas and lineages.  FMA already had this, then it lost it, then it found it again.

Anonymous:

--- Quote from: Anonymous ---

Anybody that has trained under a nobody or somebody not well known usually gets tested moreso than one who has lineage.  If not, why do people end up doing the groupie thing than seek the lesser known ones who have learned like skill but doesn't go around flaunting or advertising it?  I find that interesting.

--- End quote ---

availability!!! people will seek those who are well advertised.  people arent going to seek someone who doesn't want to be found or isn't well advertised. there are only two types of masters in this world, one who makes a commodity of his art and the other that doesn't--money, no money.  but whether one is better than the other, is none of my concern.

Guest:
I bet if Chief Lapu Lapu was around, people would clamor to him for training, too.  Doesn't he predate the 1900's?

Anonymous:
historical figure, bro.

for all we know he could've been some old, feeble datu (leader) calling the shots in the magellan coastal battle from a hammock on the beach, while watching the fight unfold.

doesn't support 'lineage' in the FMA.  name another FMA master that pre-dates the 1900s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version