Author Topic: Krav Maga  (Read 10100 times)

rafael

Krav Maga
« on: November 06, 2003, 07:00:40 PM »
:D  hi to all
i have bean in martial arts over 13 years and training in diferent stiles soooo
my question si .
I joust reasently came acros "Krav maga"  they say that it is  the BEAST martial art out thear rigth now .......... but to me is ti a bleand of many martial arts ( as moust of the newer sou calld arts are :? ) and most of the tecnikes are realy flashy and cool to look at but to my experiens most of theam are NO realistik and  to the point as they claim .
I was wandering if any one out thear has don or is doing Krav Maga and hase don other arts as Kali or American Kenpo or Winstung or any other art that is close combat relatead and can comper ti and giv us som opinions thanks to all
and
y hope to see master crafty y mex in february

:oops:  sory for the bad speling  :oops:

Mike

• View Profile
    • Real Contact Stick Fighting
Krav Maga
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 12:04:03 AM »
Hi Rafael,

my deepest conviction is, it is not important what you practice, it's more important how you practice it. I'm sure there are many good and many bad intentions in Krav Maga. Same with Wing Chun, Kapap Lotar or the simple western boxing. The most important thing is your training with intention to sharp your simpliest weapons.
Another good attribute is to test your skills and techniques in real full contact like the Dog Brother's at there gatherings.

All the best to you and best regards from germany, Mike

Mike

• View Profile
    • Real Contact Stick Fighting
Forgotten things
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 12:07:22 AM »
Something forgotten:

Another point is to make the non-realistic techniques functional. That means you have to adapt them to your environment.

Kindly regards, Mike

rafael

Krav Maga
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 02:05:31 PM »
I totaly agre with you  :wink:  thanks for the coments
but to me it is sad that they say ( at least in the school I know ) that ther sistem is the beast with out traing other things  :cry:

fatwrath

reality based
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 04:00:18 PM »
My experience is in JKD (Seattle branch).  While traveling, I went to one KM class and have looked into it a little since then.  It seems like an effective approach.  They used basic strikes (they really like the hammer fist) and hit hard, fast and continuously.

It is very technique oriented.  If you are being attacked with an overhand knife then do this, if it's under then do that.  The problem with techniques (in a lot of systems) is that the person feeding the attack becomes very predicatable and they usually start leaving their hand out as a handle.  With that said ... most of the techniques I saw would work because were simple - block, kick, grab, hit, and keep hitting until you knock the snot out of the guy.  What's not to love?

Ed

• View Profile
Krav Maga
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 04:37:51 PM »
its probably a little late to reply to this post anyway i will do so hehe well in my own experience i dont know about krav Maga more than rafael has shared to me in words but anyway with the kind of thinking is so tru you have to make the unrealistic  realistic and applyable anyway hope to hear more experiences on this matter
see ya next post
see ya next post, best regards

Ed

Arkangel

Krav Maga
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 12:50:00 PM »
I have very little experience with Krav Maga. One Thing I think I know and was impressed with was the attack identifications.
I understand that  they deal with weapons attacks in three distinct classifications.

Swings like a club
  Cuts like a knife
  and flexs like a rope.

I find this to be, very broadly and a little patronisingly, very Filpino in methodology.
I feel this gives the defender a chance to identify reference points instead of techniques to work against. Fighting technically vs. referentially for me is the difference between  understanding something vs. regurgitating stored knowledgeby rote. Blueprints are great, you follow one to construct a building. It is not a building in and of itself. Kata/dead patterns are great ...
A little off topic by now or not! Sorry
Hurcum