Author Topic: looking for Long Island school  (Read 9912 times)

sln78

• View Profile
looking for Long Island school
« on: December 06, 2003, 08:58:44 PM »
I live in eastern long island, and i'm looking for a school or someone nearby to train with.
I saw that "progressive martial arts" is located in Queens, NY.  But, that is still about 45 mins west of me, and w/ traffic can take from 1 - 1 /1/2 hours to get to....I think if I drove that far a few times a week I'd have to learn how to stick fight just to fend off my wife...lol
I appreciate any suggestions
Thank You

slider

school in lindenhurst
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 10:22:58 PM »
while he's not part of dog brothers martial arts, charles chi at the martial arts training center is an excellent instructor. he teaches inosanto blend, jiujitsu, arnis, and mande muda silat.

where on LI are you? lindenhurst is on the south shore in suffolk, about 10 minutes from the nassau border.

good luck in you search..

sln78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 05:04:14 AM »
Thanks.  I don't know if your from long island or not, but I live in Ronkonkoma(middle Suffolk).
I looked it up on mapquest, and Charles Chi?s MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING CENTER is about 20 miles from me.
I also looked up progressive martial arts on mapquest and it 40 miles from me.
So, I'll probably take a look at Charles Chi's Center.  
Thanks for the advice

Russ

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • DBMA Connecticut
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 07:54:33 AM »
The Kali instruction at Progressive Martial Arts is second to none.

Inosanto Blend Kali is on Mondays from 8:30-10PM.

Sayoc Kali is on Wednesdays also from 8:30-10PM.

There should be little or no traffic this time of day.

I travel by public transportation (as many others in the classes do) to train there and it regularly is an 1 and 15 minute trip for us.

There was also a Dog Brothers Martial Arts class held by PMAA from May-October this past year outside at Kissena Park.

You may want to check out Tuhon Roberto Torres in Brookhaven at:
www.taliosilat.com

Woof,
Dog Russ

Lakan Guro Dalawa
DBMA Manhattan
C-Bad Dog, Lakan Guro DBMA
http://dbma-connecticut.webs.com/

sln78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 08:44:21 AM »
Thanks,
 I've been doing a lot of research online, trying to find the best place to train, and I definitely want to train w/ the "Dog Brothers".
  I trained in JKD/Kali for about 2 1/2 yrs while in High school w/ my cousin. (I think he was an apprentice trainer under Paul Vunak).  My cousin moved away though.
   After that I competed in amatuer kickboxing for five years.  I trained w/ Tommy Bottone(USKBA middleweight wolrd champ).
  But now I want to get back into Kali.  I'm going to be going to school all day on Saturdays starting in Feb to get my MBA, so I'm probably not going to have time to come down until this summer.  
  But I'm definitely going to suck it up and take the drive to Queens.  I have to check it out.  
Maybe I'll see you then
Thanks for the information
sandog
(Sandon)

PAT

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 04:13:47 PM »
HEY SANDOG,
     I LIVE IN PORT JEFF STA. WORKING FOR SACHEM SCHOOL DIST. I TRAVEL TO PMAA AS MUCH AS I CAN TO TRAIN DIFF PARTS OF THE ART AS OFTEN AS I CAN WHICH UNFORTUNATELY IS ONLY ABOUT 4,5 TIMES AMONTH .I KEEP A PRETTY BUSY SHEDULE BETWEEN WORK AND FAMILY.GURU NICK IS A GREAT GUY AND I FIND PMAA WORTH THE TRUOBLE. ALSO WILLING TO TRAIN ON SUNDAYS'S WITH ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN GETTING TOGETHER.

PAT G

sln78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 04:36:44 PM »
:D Hey Pat, that sounds good.  Maybe after the holidays we can get together on Sundays from time to time.
Do you have an email address?
sandog
(Sandon)

PAT G

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 01:50:51 PM »
HEY SANDOG, I'M GOOD FOR 2 SUNDAY'S A MONTH.SOUNDS GOOD.

ALSO CHECK OUT PROGRESSIVE MARTIAL ARTS .COM

PAT G

JKD317@AOL.COM

sln78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 09:52:57 AM »
hey Pat,
  I emailed you about a week and a half ago.   I don't know if that was the wrong email address, or you just haven't checked your email.
   Anyway, I wanted to know if you want to get together to work out.  I have three dogs, and one of them doesn't like strangers, so my place won't work.... Do you have any ideas?  Let me know.
  - Sandon