Author Topic: FMA Strategies for Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse Workshop w/ Guide Dog  (Read 28987 times)

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • Stoops Martial Arts Academy
As a fun, free, Haloween-themed exercise, I will be teaching a workshop on Halloween night at my school in Pomona, California on the very topic suggested in the subject line of this thread: using the FMA's to survive a zombie apocalypse.

Some people get very uptight about the Pagan origins of Halloween. I have always considered it a secular holiday, and would have no problem with the name being changed to “The Annual, Secular Scary Movie/Story Celebration". The topic of the workshop is not intended to be offensive; it is the martial arts equivalent of creative writing.

The workshop will start at 5:30 PM and last until 7 PM, which is hopefully early enough that participants can still trick-or-treat or get home to hand out candy afterwards. You are welcome to wear regular street clothes, loose-fitting workout clothes, or even your Halloween costume. Anyone may attend, so long as they fill out a liability wavier (or have one executed in their name if they are a minor); the workshop will be recorded and turned into one of my first commercially available DVD's.

For those thinking about attending with children, there will be an emphasis on blade work. I leave it up to parents to decide how young is too young, in the same manner that a parent has to make a decision about the appropriate age at which to introduce any reality/scenario training to his/her child.

My school is located at:
3900 Valley Blvd., Suite B.
Pomona, CA 91768

in the Big Valley Industrial Complex, next door to The Sugar Rush Cafe

If you have further questions, please visit my Website

http://stoopsma.com

or send me an E-mail

bryan@stoopsma.com

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you.

GD
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:14:10 PM by Guide Dog »
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
Semi-Private/Private Instruction
Offered in Chino Hills, California
JKD/FMA/Silat/muay Thai/DBMA,
Savate/Wing Chun/grappling
http://stoops-martial-arts-academy.com/
bryan@stoopsma.com

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: FMA Strategies for Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse Workshop w/ Guide Dog
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
I'd think the zombie scenario is where kukris and machetes would really shine.   :-D

P.S. if ppl. are worried about the pagan origins of Halloween, they are going to flip when they hear about Christmas.  :wink:

Dr Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »
Or Easter, for that matter....

Just curious GD, are you supplying the chainsaws or should participants bring their own?

Dog Rick

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
Woof Guide Dog...
     I wish I lived closer, for I would finally be able to answer that burning question that was asked of me by a student a few years ago after his second lesson.  He didn't come back after I couldn't assure him that FMA was the best system for surviving the ZA.  I wish I was joking.  Good luck, and have fun!

c - Shadow Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
    • jkd concepts
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »
Most of Big Dogs students have burning questions after a few lessons.    The answer Penicillin

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »
Woof Guide Dog...
     I wish I lived closer, for I would finally be able to answer that burning question that was asked of me by a student a few years ago after his second lesson.  He didn't come back after I couldn't assure him that FMA was the best system for surviving the ZA.  I wish I was joking.  Good luck, and have fun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombieland

The rules

A running gag, and a central theme throughout the film, is the list of rules Columbus comes up with for surviving in the zombie-infested world. By the end of the film, his list has thirty-three rules; only some of them are mentioned. A series of promotional videos starring Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg expanded on the list presented in the film.[6]
 1."Cardio"[7]
 2."Double tap"[8] ("Ziploc bags" in a deleted scene)[7]
 3."Beware of bathrooms"[7][9]
 4."Wear seatbelts"[7]
 6."Cast iron skillet"
 7."Travel light"
 8."Get a kickass partner"
 12."Bounty paper towels"
 15."Bowling Ball"
 17."Don't be a hero"[10]
 18."Limber up"
 21."Avoid strip clubs"
 22."When in doubt, know your way out"
 29."The buddy system"
 31."Check the back seat"[11]
 32."Enjoy the little things"[12]
 33."Swiss army knife"
 34."Clean socks"
 48."Hygiene"
 49."Always have backup"

In a deleted scene on the DVD, Columbus presents an alternate rule number 2 titled "Ziploc Bags".[13]

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »
Most of Big Dogs students have burning questions after a few lessons.    The answer Penicillin

LOL!  :-D

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:55:41 AM »
You guys are too much!

I'm aware of the origins of many of our holidays, but nothing seems to tick as many people off as Halloween. Again, "The Annual, Secular Celebration of Scary Story Motifs" - It's catchy, right?

Oh, the material I will be teaching would also work for vampires and werewolves, but you would need at least a machete-length blade made out of pure silver for consistency across categories.  :-D
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Gibby

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »
As a fun, free, Haloween-themed exercise, I will be teaching a workshop on Halloween night at my school in Pomona, California on the very topic suggested in the subject line of this thread: using the FMA's to survive a zombie apocalypse.
GD

This whole event is bad a$$!  I would definitely drive up from San Diego but I will be at the ultimate vacation spot!  for a 4 year old...Disneyworld

CHEERS
James Gibson (Gibby)
dian~hsuhe

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »
This question will probably take this thread in a whole nother direction other than intended and if I need to post this in another I will. Sorry ahead of time Guide Dog..:(. I'm a big fan of zombie genre and I know anyone that's seen a zombie movie has thought -what would they do in that situation? I'm curious..what would you do? Now I know some questions are going to be are they fast zombies or slow? What kind of infection are we talking? Are we talking "I'm am Legend" situation where I think I'm the last one or are we talking "28 Days" type of situation. I'm just now starting the first episode, second season of the Walking Dead and that's got me thinking- Would I keep wondering around looking for other survivers? Would I try to find a secluded piece of property and try to live there with my family(currently my family is a cat and rabbit :P). Just curious what others would do.

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:14:50 PM »
A couple points:

In any threat situation, one must survive the immediate threat before worrying about longer term issues. Once you have escaped/evaded the immidiate threat, one must worry about protection from the elements, then water and lastly food. The bunny and cat might be tasty a few weeks into such a scenario.

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »
Very true. I guess I was in the mindset of you wake up into the situation, since I just watched 28 days later last night and the Walking Dead tonight. Both those are situations where factions of people have settled and/or are searching for others. I would eat a human before I ate my pets  :evil:

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
C-Yo Dog,

No worries. I don't think it's disrespectful/negative to ask questions, so you have nothing to apologize for.  :-)

In fact, the workshop is purposefully exploring a horror fiction motif (a zombie apocalypse) to make the participants realize that martial arts run deeper than fighting techniques. Scenario training and disaster preparation play a part as well. DBMA was one of the first arts to really open my eyes to thinking outside of the box in terms of being a martial artist/scholar.

I am married with two small children. If we were alerted to the outbreak while still home, obviously, we would prep as quickly as possible and attempt to make it to the car that could get us the furthest (my wife has a hybrid, so we would take that car.) We maintain earthquake supplies (we live in SoCal) which we would quickly pack into a more easily carried container. We keep our cars parked on the street, directly in front of our home. We would visually sweep the area, unlock the car from inside using our remote, and get into the car as quickly as possible.

I would actually favor the idea presented in Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead and head somewhere like Newport Beach, or Marina del Rey to find a boat to steal. En route to the boat, we would find a store containing food and water that was contained in a small one/two room building (a convenience store or gas station food mart). I would be the only one to go into the store, and before doing so, we would try to find some heavy objects to throw through some of the windows of the building to see if any zombies came out. My wife would be under strict instructions to leave me behind if I was not out in a few minutes.

I imagine we would stay on the boat for as long as possible, using our radio to establish contact with other survivors. We would be weary of other boats, particularly large ones. If it's a small boat, and the survivors aboard could come out and prove they are not infected, great. If it's a cruise ship, that's too much room for zombie stowaways.

I don't know that I would want to be the last man on earth. That sounds fun for about a week.

Shooting the undead in the head from long range is probably the safest means of dispatching them, but my workshop is aimed more at using longer bladed weapons to dispatch them if say my family was confronted by zombies on the way to the car. I can deal with slow, lumbering Night of the Living Dead zombies, or even the Snyder, Dawn of the Dead fast zombies using my curriculum, and by the time you put them down for good with my material, they will not be a threat to anyone.

And I was serious in a previous post: the same material would work just fine on a vampire with one targeting change from the zombie material, as well as on a werewolf, but you would need a long bladed weapon made of pure silver.

Hot damn, I love scary movies and Halloween so much!

GD

Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

C-Yo Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »
Seems you've put thought into this GD :).  GD- what do you think would be better- Blade or blunt object for striking. I assume you'll probably cover this in your workshop?  Everytime I see see people hacking away with blades I think about all the blood splatter and how that could infect you, where a bat to the head would be less messy. Of course thats also probably going to depend on zombie state of decay. BTW the question(s) I asked above wasn't just intended for GD..I'm curious what others have to say too :)

If you had a loved one that couldn't travel far(like you were stuck in the city), what sorta building would you try to hole up in? Or would you stay and fortify your house?

P.s. GD- If inclined, watch the movie "Carriers". It's about a viral pandemic and a group trying to make it to the beach. It was an okay movie worth seeing once.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:56:08 PM by C-Yo Dog »

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:07:10 AM »
C-Yo,

I'm thinking bladed weapons, and stipulating that if the outbreak is the "if you get zombie blood in your eyes, you are infected in 30 seconds" type, you're just screwed, period. Blunt impact weapon shots to the head can still bring blood, and hitting the jaw to destroy the zombie's ability to bite is a major idea in my material.

The 28 Days Later zombies all seem to spit blood purposefully to infect anyway. Oh well, it's my simulation, and I say that in my scenario as long as the zombies don't bite you, you're not infected.  :lol:

GD
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
reference book?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 09:07:25 AM »

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »
Of course there is the "Deadliest Warrior" episode of Zombies vs. Vampires too :lol:

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: reference book?
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies_novella.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Officers-Guide-Disaster-Control-Second/dp/0912212268

Fire Officer's Guide to Disaster Control, Second Edition

Chapter 13 has "Enemy Attack and UFO Potential". Nothing on zombies though.   :-(

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
I am glad I did my part for thread coherence.  Sorry about that, GD!  I hope your event goes well!

And that book looks, well, "useful."

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
We could rename the thread "Crafty's Treehouse of Horror"!

Just saying.....   :-D

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
Sounds like a blast!  Wish I could go. 

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »
Sounds like a blast!  Wish I could go.

Not to be too self-promoting, but the footage will be used for a commercially available DVD which should be finished by late November.

Work will also soon begin on the first two curriculum DVD's from my academy. I tweaked my curriculum guide for about a year before I began using it with students, and it is still evolving. It is a guided progression through eight arts in two tracks (armed and unarmed).

Without too much auto-back patting, I have been able to move a variety of people with different body types and varying prior martial arts experience to satisfactory levels of physical competency, so I'm fairly satisfied with it for the moment.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

Migs

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:43 AM »
Weapons of choice?

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse

Nice that we have "Walking Dead" branded blades!   :-D

Tony Torre

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 09:59:28 AM »
Sounds like you've found a possible sponsor  :wink:

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
I like this one:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Survival-Series-Parang_31-000698

I was thinking of a machete length blade, but I don't like the serrated edge I'm seeing on one side of many of the basic machete models. I need something with good balance that cuts right through flesh and bone.

The majority of my workshop is aimed at use of a single blade like the one above, with the last 20%ish being aimed at the same sequence for double machete.
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCSxQXY406g&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCSxQXY406g&feature=player_embedded

Guide Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
Thanks, GM.

The "hunting by touch" theory is right in line with my material. We guide offline, blind, and cut off the hands of the zombie in about a second in my material before making sure the undead can no longer bite.

GD
Dr. Bryan Stoops, Ed.D.
bryan@stoopsma.com

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »
GD,

You should make a video of your techniques. You could call it "Die at the hands of the undead less often" or something like that.....  :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 04:55:37 AM »
http://www.lapolicegear.com/kabar-zk-war-sword.html

Ka-Bar now has a line of anti-zombie weapons.

I guess there is a growing market for this....

bigdog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 05:10:42 AM »
Kelly McCann on zombie attack defense:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/self-defense-training/combatives/survival-guide-when-multiple-zombies-attack/ 

Zombie repulsion is officially an industry! 

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Anti-zombie ammo
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »
http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

No joke, it's actually for sale.

I'm afraid we're on the cusp of a "jumping the shark" moment here.

jcordova

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
I guess I should go and buy some, you never know??? :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
I guess I should go and buy some, you never know??? :-D

Well, I'm not a zombie-killing expert like Guide Dog, but I'm pretty sure any ammo will work if the rounds are placed correctly.   :-D

G M

• Power User
    • View Profile
Important test
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »