Author Topic: Sun Tzu and fighting  (Read 6096 times)

SB_Mig

Sun Tzu and fighting
« on: February 03, 2004, 11:22:26 AM »
Dusted off "The Art of War" this weekend and came across this quote:

"In all fighting, the direct method may be used for joining battle, but indirect methods will be needed in order to secure victory".

Curious if people feel this translates to hand to hand combat, and if so, how?

Miguel

sunzulu

good one...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 12:04:07 PM »
this can mean...

Common manuevers can be anticipated as well as countered. For every tactic known, there is a countertactic for it. You must be able to develop new tactics to use in order to maintain a way to keep your opponent off balance.

i.e. -Execute a feint with common/direct method/technique, then strike into victory with uncommon/indirect technique. Uncommon/indirect maneuvers may let you gain initiative and exploit surprise.

peace out

aeta

not really
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 12:11:27 PM »
Depends what context you're looking at...it can relate to weapons and empty hand just the same. I'd say that line relates to Balintawak well as the live hand is always in play and equal to the stick hand....you're opponent just doesn't realize it....

carlo

• View Profile
Sun Tzu and fighting
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 04:42:56 PM »
You coming to the Sayoc seminar this weekend Miguel?

-C
A nation of one ancestry and race is weak. We must hold strong our custom of welcoming all foreigners who seek to join our cause, treating them with dignity and respect and teaching them our language and customs.

-Attila the Hun

SB_Mig

You know it...
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 08:44:22 AM »
Yeah,

I will be there for the seminar. From what I hear, I missed Tuhon at Sayoc class last night.

See you Sunday, Carlo...

Miguel