DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

Has anyone ever seen a real Kali fight?

<< < (18/19) > >>

Rodger:
18 February 2004 (Martial Arts Planet forum)

--- Quote from: Dred ---I've been trying to get you a concrete answer on this but nobody that I know seems to have that kind of information for sure.

From the 1980 book written by Guro I "The Filipino Martial Arts" I have pulled several dates which can give you an idea of his training with John LaCoste.

1961 - Discharged from military and moved to LA, started training in Kempo with Ed Parker. At some point around the time DI gets a black belt in Kempo, presumably several years later, Ed Parker suggests that DI look into Eskrima

1977 - Death/murder of John LaCoste

1980 - Publication of FMA book in which DI says he's been trying to get a handle of John LaCoste's footwork for about 14 years. Presumably this interview took place 1-2 years before publication (judging by the publication times that we have on books in my company).

So from this I'm postulating that he trained with John LaCoste from about 1963/4 to 1977.

From the description in the book it sounds like the training happened in an ad hoc fashion rather than regular classes. Sorry that I don't have more info. If you like I can bring a copy of the section from the book about John LaCoste with me when we meet up?

Also Guro I will be over in July for his 25th annual seminar - no doubt its a question he'd be happy to answer.

Hope that's useful?

Dred

--- End quote ---

Rodger:
1. Floro Villabrille
2. Ben Largusa
3. Dan Inosanto
4. Leo Gaje Jr.

Questions and Comments:

a.   When did Guro Dan Inosanto first meet and train with Mr. Ben Largusa? What year?

b.   From the dates above training of Guro Dan Inosanto with Juan LaCoste puts it around mid-1960s to late-1960s, until his death in 1977.

c.   If Guro Dan Inosanto trained with Mr. Ben Largusa, while he trained with Mr. Juan LaCoste, is there a chance that the word and concept of Kali transferred from Largusa, to Inosanto, then to LaCoste, who merely agreed to the term?

(more to come...)

baseballbatkali:
rodger,history is gay.kali is what we call it now.you should worry about how to not get hit with a stick cus all those dates and shit is just gay.

Guard Dog:

--- Quote from: Rodger ---1. Floro Villabrille
2. Ben Largusa
3. Dan Inosanto
4. Leo Gaje Jr.

Questions and Comments:

a.   When did Guro Dan Inosanto first meet and train with Mr. Ben Largusa? What year?

b.   From the dates above training of Guro Dan Inosanto with Juan LaCoste puts it around mid-1960s to late-1960s, until his death in 1977.

c.   If Guro Dan Inosanto trained with Mr. Ben Largusa, while he trained with Mr. Juan LaCoste, is there a chance that the word and concept of Kali transferred from Largusa, to Inosanto, then to LaCoste, who merely agreed to the term?

(more to come...)
--- End quote ---

Good questions,
  I am interested also.  It is fun, interesting and educational to piece together history!

Gruhn

Rodger:

--- Quote from: baseballbatkali ---rodger,history is gay.kali is what we call it now.you should worry about how to not get hit with a stick cus all those dates and shit is just gay.
--- End quote ---
[/size]

It's comments like this, that keep us Filipinos in the dark (forever not knowing our own history).  History is "just gay".  This is the most ignorant thing anyone can say.

We're asking questions to find out what really happened.  If we ask the right questions, we'll get the right answers.  We've lost too much history already to not care, because it's "just gay".

--- Quote ---Good questions,
I am interested also. It is fun, interesting and educational to piece together history!

Gruhn
--- End quote ---

Yes, questions like these should not be construed as 'disrespect', but answered for the sake of knowledge.  If the answers support your views, then great.  

If the answers, favor another theory, then people have to be able to switch their perspectives on history.  

If the answers do not contribute anything, then we go back to square one.  But, we will keep on asking questions, this is inevitable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version