Author Topic: where should I purchase fencing masks?  (Read 15321 times)

paul

where should I purchase fencing masks?
« on: August 25, 2004, 03:59:26 PM »
where and which brand/model fencing mask should I purchase?
I'd like to start sparring with friends and would like to do head shots. what are you recommendations?

salamat... paul

bart

• View Profile
    • http://www.capitaldocepares.com
Headshots
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 05:27:19 PM »
Hey There,

I think the best place to get fencing masks cheap other than Ebay is a fencing school. They have a lot of old ones lying around. I have to ask though what you mean exactly by headshots. Do you want to practice headshots on a moving target or do you want just basic protection "in case" you get hit? I have a couple different helmets depending on what I'm working on. For practicing the art of hitting the head, I'd suggest a WEKAF mask or maybe one of the Lameco headgear otherwise your partner may not want to work out again too soon. The fencing masks that I've had ranged from foil only (screen door) to 3 weapon (stiff and unyielding). The WEKAF just has a kendo like grill.

On a side note, has anyone used a Kendo mask to do stickfighting?
Be Cool

------------------
Capital Doce Pares
www.capitaldocepares.com

paul

fencing masks for sparring
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 11:38:43 AM »
thanx for the heads up on where else to go.
would you happen to have any suggestions aside from going to a fencing school. say perhaps somewhere online?

also, what I mean by headshots is actually hitting someone in the head while sparring. for the most part head shots are practiced and theoretical in practice. you do a certain technique/block and combo it to a headshot. well, I'd like to find out the feel if it's an actualy probality rather than a possiblity in theory from practicing it during technique. Conditions are very different during a spar rather than from a static stance while practicing technique. So I'd like to find out for myself if hitting the head with say an abiniko actually works for my own personal techinque. If not then I'll discard the practice of it since I am not able to apply it in a spar/fight.

"you are only good as your are RIGHT NOW"
                                         -I forgot who said that, but I love that quote.

-paul

Howling Dog

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:41:41 PM »
Woof paul, If you want a good fencing mask and want to buy one online, then i suggest kil at bloodsport.com.
I bought one there and used it in the june gathering of the pack. I was more than happy with the construction, its solid and all that happy stuff.
Anyway, thats my suggestion.
               tom
Howling Dog

pretty_kitty

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 06:38:15 PM »
Hey all,

We do plan to carry fencing masks soon.  Until then, Tom is right, contact Nick!

Meowwwwwwwwww,
Cindy
Cindy "Pretty Kitty" Denny.
Dog Brothers, Inc.

sumito

• View Profile
Re: where should I purchase fencing masks?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
I thought there was a "definitive" list of recommended gear posted in the forum.  I have spent the last 30 minutes poking around in various threads and can't seem to find it.  Anyone have a link?

Thanks,

GW