Author Topic: Fighting Crime  (Read 8809 times)

Crafty Dog

Fighting Crime
« on: September 04, 2004, 10:48:10 PM »
Like the title says-- this thread is for matters concerning fighting crime.

Crafty
---------------------------
An internet friend writes:

This story shows how GPS can and is used to track people by criminals.

My wife and I had driven a long distance about 1 and 1/2 years ago. We decided on the spur of the moment to stop at a store. After we parked she walked in and I sat in the car. About ten or so minutes later this guy in an old corvette with the pony tailed-hippy look pulls up. He struts out and kind of looks as suspicious as hell as he walks past my car and goes in. Sure enough my wife later said he walked right over to where she was and snooped at what she was doing, and taking into a cell phone call as well as to her salesperson.

I wondered if they followed us. Then, I remembered I was in a rental car.

And I remembered that when I to picked it up the girl at the rental place looked at the computer screen and smiled this big shit-eating grin and said "I have a surprise". "We can upgrade you to a cadillac and it sits right at the first space". Of couse the Caddy had a GPS system in it. In retrospect, we were set up.

Try keeping the pricks from getting near your car or having one of their scumbuckets who work at your auto repair not rig your vehicle when you bring it in.

I once came out of work only to see a tow truck parked right next to my car. I walked out and walked past him, and then back in, and again back out only to see the coward pulling away after he saw I saw him.

I get a kick out of the police officer who says, "this is the stalking of the 21 first century". No kidding. The police are decades behind, undermanned and underfunded and not infrequently crooked as well.

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/10623553p-11542277c.html
Attachments:

crimresearch

• View Profile
Fighting Crime
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 11:17:34 AM »
Always well worth remembering that any gadget or device brought forth to give the police an edge, will be in the hands of crooks the moment it is available.

Which is why I have a number of concerns about how this new item is going to wind up being used.

http://www.stun-gun-reviews.com/taser-m18.html

A *civilian* Taser?  I didn't know that civilians went around arresting people in trained groups, backed up with firearms, batons, and dogs...which is the millieu that a Taser is most effective in.  

:roll:
"Take away paradox from the thinker, and you have a professor"

Soren Kierkegaard

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Fighting Crime
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 10:37:51 PM »
Wow,
  And just to think that was just some small town guy that happened to know a thing or two about electronics.  Imagine what the big guys who actual invent the technology are capable of, not to comforting.
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

Tiny

Do those shoes come in cement...?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 03:26:22 PM »
Meet In the Hat :  http://www.inthehat.blogspot.com/

A blog of organized crime so well-informed that police are soliciting information from the site, and tv networks want to make a deal.  Includes gang activity, prison/street groups, new and improved gang identifiers, some weapons info, recent criminal activity, etc.

Oh, and "In the Hat?"  It's a little euphemism for "sleeps with the fishes" or soon to be so.

buzwardo

• Power User
    • View Profile
Creating Criminal Enterprise Zones
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »
This is probably the wrong topic to post this under, but a bank in Ohio that forbids concealed carry of firearms has been getting robbed on a regular basis. For those not up on CCW rules and regs, some states that allow concealed carry of weapons have provisions in their laws that let private indviduals and businesses ban concealed carry from their premises. The bank in question posts signs stating concealed carry is banned; the bad guys, knowing they are not likely to encounter an armed citizen, have been robbing the banks with relative impunity.

This piece if from the Ohioans for Concealed Carry web site:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that a 'patient' robber has quietly been robbing banks in northeast Ohio.

The robber has hit the same Fifth-Third bank, inside a Tops supermarket, on two separate occasions within four weeks, advising tellers he has a gun.

In an August 23 robbery, the 24-year-old female teller at the Fifth Third Bank was handed a note and the robber "stared at her as if he was crazy and meant business," a police report said. According to the newspaper, the teller told police she was scared for her life.

Police say the robber is unusual because he apparently has robbed the same bank twice, does not try to hide his appearance and is cool and patient, qualities that have helped him slip in and out unnoticed.

Since posting the signs, Ohio-based Fifth-Third, which posts signs banning concealed handguns from its branches, has been robbed time and again by armed criminals. Should be any surprise that an armed robber would be at ease in a disarmed victim zone such as the people at Fifth Third have created?

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Crime
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 06:34:28 PM »
Slain Convenience Store Clerk Would Fight Robbers, Patrons Say
Employee Described as Family Man

By Hamil R. Harris and Nelson Hernandez
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, January 14, 2007; C03

The patrons of the 7-Eleven in Forest Heights warned Bekuretsion K. Gebreamlak that he had to stop fighting the gunmen who robbed the store with depressing regularity. Just quietly hand over the cash, they told the 57-year-old clerk, and you'll be fine.
But the Suitland resident, who emigrated three years ago from Eritrea in eastern Africa, did not suffer such injustices lightly. He would often chase the robbers, and once he even locked one inside the convenience store.
Late Friday, when a man wearing dark sunglasses walked into the crowded store and shoved a gun in Gebreamlak's face, the part-time clerk talked back, a witness said. He was silenced with a shotgun blast, which killed him instantly, according to Prince George's County police.
"It was a very brazen crime, and we desperately want to get that guy off the street," Cpl. Clinton Copeland said of the assailant, who was wearing a long black coat, two-tone blue jeans, gloves and a black knit hat.
Copeland said the cash register had been moved, but it was unclear whether anything was taken. He said the gunman fled on foot. Police were analyzing the store's security camera footage for clues, Copeland said.
Jim Boyd, the owner of Critical Incident Clean-Up Inc. and a former Upper Marlboro police officer, spent yesterday cleaning up the scene, which was closed off from the public with dark curtains hanging over the windows.
"The circumstances are real tragic in this case," Boyd said. "They wanted money from the employee, and the employee either didn't react fast enough or did something that offended the bad guy, and the bad guy shot him."
Family members grieved yesterday in the Clinton home of the victim's brother, Wesen. Fessah Gebresilassie, Gebreamlak's brother- in-law, said the clerk's wife and three children -- two boys and a girl -- had come to the United States only eight months ago.
"This is really terrible," Gebresilassie said. "He was a nice, hard-working man. He was a family man. This is terrible. We don't deserve this."
Residents of the neighborhood near the 5500 block of Livingston Road said the 7-Eleven is a frequent target of violence. In the neighboring shops, a similar concern about crime is apparent: A Chinese and seafood takeout restaurant has a plexiglass window separating the servers from the customers, and at a nearby North Face jacket store, which is protected by burglar bars, customers have to be buzzed in to shop.
"It seems like that store gets robbed every three or four months," Larry Colbert, a longtime resident of the community, said of the 7-Eleven. "The police struggle to catch and bring the robbers in, and then they get out and are back on the loose."
Gebreamlak grew increasingly angry at the repeated robberies, store patrons said.
"He was a very opinionated person," said a 36-year-old man who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he feared retaliation. The man said Gebreamlak had given robbers money on other occasions but sometimes chased them as they fled the store. He said Gebreamlak had once locked a robber, as well as customers, inside the store in the hope of apprehending the criminal, but eventually he let everyone out.
"They all had a habit of trying to stop them, and grab them, and trying to fight," the man said of the store employees.
It is unclear what Gebreamlak did when the gunman entered his store about 9 p.m. Friday, but he apparently spoke to the robber, who brandished a shotgun and demanded money.
The 36-year-old man, who was seated outside the store as the robbery unfolded, said he didn't hear the gunshot but noticed people running out of the store about 20 yards away.
"The customers ran out of the store and said, 'They robbed him! He just got robbed!' " the man said. "I ran into the store, and there was one woman working with him. She said, 'They shot him.' I didn't want to look at him. His body was behind the counter on the floor."
A 7-Eleven official who supervised the cleanup said Gebreamlak was "a good employee who was liked by the customers." She said she had no idea when the store would open again.