DBMA Martial Arts Forum > Martial Arts Topics

"Kali" player on trial for killing bouncer

<< < (5/10) > >>

Sun_Helmet:
The problem with this article is due to a lazy reporter who is embellishing the facts with their own uninformed POV.

If the Filipino knife 'expert' was so 'expert' and efficient in targeting the femoral artery, then how come he missed so many chances to kill himself with his own blade? Why didn't he just repeat the same exact femoral cut to commit suicide?

Anyone who has ever met the instructors of said individual would have no idea they were vicious people at all. Probably the warmest, best humored folks on the FMA planet.

We should allow the court system to have it's course. This is an unfortunate incident all around.

--Rafael--

Ted T.:
Thanks for the welcome Crafty,

I've been following the Pack's exploits for a very long time now. One of my students would love to get down to LA and join a gathering but money rules.

Tiny:

--- Quote ---The problem with this article is due to a lazy reporter who is embellishing the facts with their own uninformed POV.
--- End quote ---

Precisely, but how would the average media slave have any complete understanding of such arts, and is it not in their best interest to embellish?  Which brings me again to my question:  is it better to be unaffiliated and claim no expertise, even if you are an advanced (or not) student?  

Let's suspend all guilty/nonguilty assumptions and extraneous info about this particular case, and look only at what was printed about the art:

--- Quote ---...trained in a vicious Filipino martial art in which even beginners learn lethal knife thrusts.

Detectives plan to interview a Manhattan martial arts expert who trained Umali how to kill with a single knife wound, sources said.
--- End quote ---

And

--- Quote ---The brothers are also schooled in the warrior art of Eskrima, in which knives are a key component, sources said.
--- End quote ---

Going into a courtroom, having just defended your own life, would you be comfortable with these terms, in terms of public opinion about the appropriateness of your actions?  Aren't all martial arts the offspring of warriors?  Also, these articles reflect different authorship and therefore are multi-perspectival, so we can't just point to one person and blame him for exaggeration.  Given that efficiency is what we desire as martial artists -- I'd rather end the issue in one move, wouldn't you? As such, how do we avoid being victims (forgive the term) of such portrayal in the courtroom and in the media?  Is it even possible -- is the interest of the media in producing a juicy story always going to be an obstacle?

I'm guessing it will be, unless you've just saved the lives of 10 children, a pregnant woman, and someone's grandma from terrorists...then you'd be a "hero."

Ted T.:
Hi Tony,

I sense your concern but I'm still not in your loop. Here are your quotes:

--- Quote ---...trained in a vicious Filipino martial art in which even beginners learn lethal knife thrusts.

Detectives plan to interview a Manhattan martial arts expert who trained Umali how to kill with a single knife wound, sources said.
--- End quote ---

And

--- Quote ---The brothers are also schooled in the warrior art of Eskrima, in which knives are a key component, sources said.
--- End quote ---

Where is the untruth of these statements? Is not Eskrima a warrior art and are not knives a major component? Does not everyone during their first 6 months of training know how to cut and kill with a single wound?  I started my practice in FMA because these things were true!

The only word I take opposition to is "viscious." An art can be viscious (not flowery, dancy or airy-fairy and dedicated to the death of your opponent) but usually the practioner is not viscious.

IF the defendant did in fact cut like he is described to have cut, after the length of time he had been training, then he knew he had jeopardised the life of the bouncer, and probably, did that on purpose. That is, imho, a viscious act.

As a player, you will be and I believe, should be held to a higher standard of responsibility in such cases. If you object to that, you need to put down your sticks and knives right now.

It is not the art which needs to be white washed but the players that need to show obvious social respectability and responsiblity. Lesson plans from your club should be available to the prosocutors that show when and where adomonishements against using a kill shot were taught due to social and legal considerations.

And always remember:  "If you cut someone with your knife, two people are cut; if you kill someone, two lives are killed."

SB_Mig:

...trained in a vicious Filipino martial art in which even beginners learn lethal knife thrusts.

--- End quote ---

I don't think that anyone is arguing that these statements are untrue. My complaint (and I have alot of complaints when it comes to the media) is their automatic tainting of the subject matter with inflammatory writing. Should the writing be more "flowery"? Not at all. But an OBJECTIVE journalist should write to the subject NOT the reader.

--- Quote ---As a player, you will be and I believe, should be held to a higher standard of responsibility in such cases.
--- End quote ---

I don't think anyone disagrees with this. Which is the basis of the the question, "How do we ensure/develop this standard?" And I have yet to receive a response.

--- Quote ---It is not the art which needs to be white washed but the players that need to show obvious social respectability and responsiblity.
--- End quote ---

Again, no one is advocating a whitewash. But what is the solution to changing societal perceptions of the arts? Again, I'm still waiting for an answer.

--- Quote ---Lesson plans from your club should be available to the prosocutors that show when and where adomonishements against using a kill shot were taught due to social and legal considerations.
--- End quote ---

A nice idea, but realistically how many instructors are going to write "Today I taught the class the when, why, and how of the femoral slash so they don't get in trouble." And would this really hold up in court?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version