Author Topic: DVDs?  (Read 9681 times)

mronkain

• View Profile
DVDs?
« on: November 01, 2004, 02:00:23 AM »
Hi,

what's the update on releasing your old tape series on DVD and/or new series? The most recent post I could find on the subject was pretty old and it stated that the work is in progress...
I brought this up in the Eskrima Digest list once, but I think many of the people here are not on the list, so: I think there are several advantages favouring DVD over video tape, as 1) it is a format that will used in the future as well 2) picture quality is superior 3) freeze frame, slow motion etc. are better 3) multiple language/subtitle/viewing angle support 4) you name it. The one thing that speaks against it is, of course, piracy. But, make the original DVD worth owning with nice covers, reasonable price, instruction leaflet, whatever, and people will buy it.

my 2 cents

- Marko
Maniwalla kami sa tagumpay, hindi sa bigo
Maniwalla kami sa  kalusugan, hindi sa sakit
Maniwalla kami sa buhay, hindi sa kamatayan

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 12:02:17 PM »
Woof Marko:

Thank you for asking.  We have found an editor we are happy with and are moving forward in a steady way-- the editor and I get together once a week.  All of our DVD conversions will have substantial new footage.

The "Krabi Krabong" DVD is already done and awaits Pretty Kitty's magic touch with artwork etc for the cover.

I should have what we hope will be a final of "Attacking Blocks" in my mailbox today.

And within 9 days "Combining Stick and Footwork" should be done too.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 06:48:11 PM »
I CAN'T WAIT!

When do you think all of these will be ready for all of us?

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

alex

• View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 02:40:33 AM »
Multi region? I don't really get how that stuff works, but it would be a treat to be able to play them over here.

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 05:38:35 AM »
Woof:

I went over Attacking Blocks with our editor Ron yesterday and gave him what should be the final changes yesterday.  He says he will have them done and back to me by Monday.

Pretty Kitty has started on the cover for the "KK for DBMA" DVD.  I hesitate to put a completion date on it, but I can say she has caught up on orders for the moment and has that I-gonna-finish-this-sucker glint in her eye.

Alex (or any of our Euro friends) you saying that DVDs of the US don't play in Euro players?!?  If so, @#$%@$%)*)(+_++%$%)#$Uaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh
 :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  

Woof,
Crafty Dog

PS: I had not considered the idea of multi-lingual DVDs.  I know that Budo, for whom I've done two videos, does this in Europe.  I wonder what it costs per language to translate it?  If anyone can point me in the right direction on this please write me at Craftydog@dogbrothers.com

alex

• View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 08:30:54 AM »
Quote from: Crafty_Dog
Alex (or any of our Euro friends) you saying that DVDs of the US don't play in Euro players?!?  If so, @#$%@$%)*)(+_++%$%)#$Uaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Woof,
Crafty Dog

Hmmm this is out of my field, but it can be an issue. The manufacturer has the option of making the disc specific to 1 region or more. AKAIK there are 7 or so regions in the world, it goes N. America, Europe, SE Asia etc etc.

It is possible to switch a PC or Mac from one region to another (e.g. say I moved to the USA and wanted to play US DVDs) but you can only do it 3 or 4 times on one computer to prevent abuse.

The only reason for it is so movie DVDs don't get bought cheaply in the US for example then sold elsewhere (such as the UK where they cost twice as much) at a cut down price.

*BUT* I'm 99% certain it is something that your DVD manufacturer has to chose to do when encoding the disc, so if you tell them to make it "Multi Region" it shouldn't be a problem. It's NOT a technical compatibility issue like PAL/NTSC.

mronkain

• View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 03:45:05 AM »
Quote from: Crafty_Dog
Woof:

Woof,
Crafty Dog

PS: I had not considered the idea of multi-lingual DVDs.  I know that Budo, for whom I've done two videos, does this in Europe.  I wonder what it costs per language to translate it?  If anyone can point me in the right direction on this please write me at Craftydog@dogbrothers.com

Hi, first of all, good to hear that the DVDs are on their way. The idea of having a region code in DVDs was requested by the big movies studios. The original idea was that they could control the schedule of releases worldwide. If, for example a movie has a premiere in the US this Christmas and the DVD is released in March 2005, the premiere in cinemas in Europe could be after the release of the DVD. Having a region code prevents European players from playing the US DVD thus forcing people who want to see the movie going to cinemas instead of ordering the DVD from US. The idea never was too successfull as players are easy to make region code free. A better idea would be to have global release dates. Anyway, I see no point in having an instructional DVD set to a certain region code. A region code 0 is for this purpose. It plays on all DVD players. Then of course there's an issue of the standard. USA uses NTSC and in Europe it's mostly PAL. However, most new television sets can view both, so that's not a major issue anyway. But, I recommend having a region code 0 and possibly a batch of PAL versions if there's a demand. Once you have a master, making copies is quite easy.

Having different language versions would require making a separate audio track with a different language (plus the menus of the DVD). Or, you could have them as subtitles. Once again, since DVD is a digital media, once this is made and you have a master, copies can be made easily. If I remember correctly DVD supports up to 32 different languages in subtitles and maybe 8 different audio tracks. Imagine having a Swahili version of the DB DVDs...  :lol:

I would imagine there's a demand for at least Spanish and German versions, maybe French also.

If you manage to make a Finnish version, I guarantee that I will buy the whole set! ;-)
Maniwalla kami sa tagumpay, hindi sa bigo
Maniwalla kami sa  kalusugan, hindi sa sakit
Maniwalla kami sa buhay, hindi sa kamatayan

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 10:04:44 PM »
Woof All:

With editor Ron Gabriel on-line and me supervising, we are working 2 days a week on this.  Shaggy Dog is taking care of the artwork for the boxes.  We are planning special editions with sundry additional items such as fotos, articles and other things.

"Krabi Krabong", "Attacking Blocks" and "Combining Stick & Footwork" are all done.  All have a substantial amount of footage not in the videos. The case for KK is done.  We are working right now on "The Grandfathers Speak" for which the additional footage will be of an interview with Pedoy Braulio, and a 30 minute interview I did with GM Giron in 1991 in his training hall.

The Adventure continues,
Crafty Dog

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 10:38:51 PM »
Woof All:

The cover for KK and Attacking Blocks are done, and the one for Combining Stick & Footwork probably will be fiinished tomorrow.  This will enable us to get decent costs from the duplication house.  In other words, these babies are going to be ready VERY soon!

Woof!
Crafty Dog

PS:  Substantial new footage on all of them.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 05:09:24 AM »
Great to hear!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

LRC

• View Profile
DVDs?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 05:34:27 AM »
:D   any  estimations for  when the whole series will be out on dvd yet?

much respect!
LRC