Author Topic: first time fighting  (Read 7491 times)

thai70

• View Profile
first time fighting
« on: November 16, 2004, 12:07:13 AM »
This Saturday is my first time fighting ever.  We are using 3/4" inch sticks.
I am here in Hawaii with Dogzilla and I know I'm in good hands, but am still nervous nonetheless.  Mostly because I am just coming off a broken hand and do not wish to repeat that.  I broke it on Aug 5th, but my doctor gave me a green light (he also told me I was crazy/stupid).  I had broken the 4th metacarpal near the wrist.
Any suggestions from anybody?  I want to use thicker gloves to protect the hands that much for sure.
anyone?

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
first time fighting
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 09:18:25 AM »
How was it broken before?  

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn
Guro / DBMAA Business Director
Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association
"Smuggling Concepts Across the Frontiers of Style”
ryan@dogbrothers.com | www.dogbrothers.com

thai70

• View Profile
first time
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 06:48:03 PM »
Me and another guy were sparring and we were using foam bats.  We were hitting harder than we should have been.  He came down with a right side caveman slash.  I blocked with a roof and tried a drive by.  Tried to hit his left leg.  I bounced my right hand off his friggin rock of a knee.  Honest accident.

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
first time fighting
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 06:55:34 PM »
Wow,
  Talk about an accident!  The reason I asked is because a break from compression like a really bad stove is different than a break when the bone is snapped per say (sorry for the horrible definitions).  Just be aware of your hands and maybe go left lead instead of right so you can keep the hurt hand otu of the way.  With sticks 3/4" thick all I have ever gotten from them are really bad stick hickeys, I have yet to hear of a broken bone with sticks that skinny either but I am sure it has happened.  Up the diameter and everything changes!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

Crafty_Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
first time fighting
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 10:58:36 AM »
Woof Thai:

I don't know if the following applies in your case or not, but I do know that many people put alot of pressure on themselves when they first fight; there seems to be some sort of idea that it will answer the question they have had for so long about how good they are.  This means if they perform at a level at less than they hoped, they then feel very badly about themselves and often become discouraged.

What I tell my cherry fighting students is this:

"Remember the first time you had sex.  Were you any good at it?  Have you gotten any better since?"

This usually brings a smile and helps keep things in perspective.

Woof,
Guro Crafty

Guard Dog

• Administrator
  • Power User
    • View Profile
first time fighting
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 11:28:18 AM »
Right before a fight, I think those are the words of choice I would like to hear.  Excellent way of putting things into perspective Crafty, excellent!

Gruhn
Ryan “Guard Dog” Gruhn

thai70

• View Profile
thanks a bunch
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 11:02:47 PM »
Guro Crafty,
Outstanding advice.  Brought a big ol smile to my face.  Thank you very much.

Ryan,
thanks, I'll watch the right, try to keep it outa the way.

thai70

• View Profile
had a blast!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 03:23:53 PM »
I had a great time.  We did a small round robin and I got in three 2:00 fights.
I fought with a left lead lefted handed for the whole thing.  Coupla nice bruises on my arms and my left hand is swollen (not broken).  It was a great experience.  I plan on getting a pair of lacrosse gloves for Christmas.  I was doing a bit of research and the wrist mobility is apparently very good with good hand protection
Loved it and look forward to the next time I can do this.  I am thrilled with the Hawaii group (Kapolei Tribe) and welcome anyone who comes to Oahu for vacation to look us up.  
Dogzilla is an outstanding leader and a top notch teacher/practitioner.  I haven't had this kind of instruction since I was at Penn State.